English deprivation - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
TPunk Moderator

Default English deprivation

So...I'm writing a paper for class about what it feels like to be deprived of English when you're travelling. Like, usually I don't listen to NPR here at home, but I couldn't get enough of it when I was traveling because I was cut off from English speaking news and tv programs. So I was addicted to it. Or how when I'm at home I usually don't read magazines but if I see one in English when I'm on the road I might buy it even if it has a high markup.

Does anyone else feel this way or have a story? I'm looking for some ideas.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Dig
TPunk Moderator

My wife and I returned from 5 weeks in Europe. When we landed in Houston we had a several hour layover. I noticed a couple of "mexican" cleaning ladies talking to each other. I walked over to them and told them that it was "so good to hear some Spanish spoken right"! I am sure those ladies thought I was a fruitcake, but I didn't care.:D

Incidently, I can only remember hearing one Spanish speaker the entire time.

My wife thought it was awesome, at the same place, to hear someone say to her "Can I help you hon?" in a thick Texan accent.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

James and I actually found it kinda relaxing in europe to not be able to understand people... I know that sounds weird but say on busy public transport, when you can't understand anyone it's all just background noise and you can tune out, but for some reason in australia at peak time public transport is so stressful, because you're listening to someone doing business on their phone, idiotic teenagers having a stupid conversation, women scolding their kids, etc etc. I dunno I guess when you can't understand what they're saying you can just assume everyone is happy.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
The " ... " queen of TP!

After backpacking europe for about 6 weeks (in all non-english speaking countries) I ended off my trip in the UK. I remember I was really jiving for some ice cream so when I saw a sign I walked into the restaurant. I was so used to using "sign language" to tell a clerk what I wanted that I instantly started looking around for where the ice cream was so that I could point to what I wanted. I was COMPLETELY caught off guard when she said "can I help you?" lol...I had completely forgotten they spoke english in the UK haha and that I could actually ASK for what I wanted. What a concept...

Other than that I guess the only thing is when I was in Africa and the complete isolation I felt when I was left without any English speaking friends. I've never felt that way before in my life. I mean when I backpacked europe there were always fellow travelers you could relate to, but when I reached Rwanda alone...I was entirely alone. It's awful. But it definitely forces you to be very resourceful...

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:02 AM   #5
lover of Germany

China was a lot like that. I remember trying to find an internet cafe using "sign language" pretending I was typing and just saying the word computer over and over again.
I bought a Time magazine in Germany which is something I rarely do.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

I was traveling this past winter and would download the Anderson Cooper 360 video podcast most days. I also had a day in Krakow when it started raining so I got really excited when the Flamingo Hostel had CNN.
I never watch CNN at home

How about the flip side? I really miss not hearing a mix of accents and languages like I did in hostels. When I traveled through Italy, Germany and Paris on the way back to Spain I was so happy to hear Spanish again along the border. It felt like I could actually function again. Never mind that I did speak English frequently when locals got tired of my Spanishized Italian and Norwegianized German.

This is kind of weird but after speaking Spanish for long periods of time, I feel like my English sounds a little bit weird like my word order get jumbled (not necessarily mirroring Spanish word order btw).

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:42 PM   #7
TPunk Recognized

When I come home from being out of the country, I always find myself listening in to other peoples conversation just because I can. It almost seems shocking to be able to understand what everyone around you is saying.

I also crave anything English when I've been gone for an extended time. I even got into Celebrity Gossip last time, which has never interested me before, and doesn't anymore.
mushroom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #8
TPunk Recognized

does anyone else talk weird when they get home?

i swear for a few days i talk to people in broken english and a bit slower then normal and use simple vocab. my dad laughed at me after my first solo trip to thailand years ago, ever since i really notice it.

hah and i always read newsweek and time on the plane. id NEVER buy it here tho!!

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:40 AM   #9
Certified Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatben View Post
I bought a Time magazine in Germany which is something I rarely do.
I bought a Time magazine in Budapest. I think it was the cheapest thing they had in English.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
lover of Germany

bump
Something else I find is, TV shows I would normally never watch become interesting when I am deprived from English for too long I have heard others say this as well.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
Old 07-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatben View Post
bump
Something else I find is, TV shows I would normally never watch become interesting when I am deprived from English for too long I have heard others say this as well.

I completely here that. After moving to the outskirts of Madrid last year with horrible transportation and a focus on being a full time internet mogul, I had the tv on in the background while I pounding the keyboard.

Since there were no Irish pubs or expat meetups and meeting only 1 American for 5 minutes at a grocery store, I got my english language fix from one tv channel that played American tv shows in english. Tv shows that I never watched in the states, but got addicted to here.

I watch a couple of seasons of Buffy the vampire slayer...to it's bitter end.
Friday Night Lights (awesome find)
The Gilmore Girls (to the finale)
Heros (sporadic broadcasts)
Hercules series (always babes running around in skimpy warrior outfits)
Smallville (awesome)
Men in Trees (anne heche)
The OC (good show)

So yeah, being english deprived got me caught up on some old tv shows!
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #12
Mod

haha, I love that you watched gilmore girls tony. favourite show ever.
when I was in germany I became addicted to those terrible MTV "reality" shows like 'Date My Mom' and 'Parental Control' because they were the only shows that were subtitled instead of dubbed in german, so I could still hear the english. now whenever I go to my parents house I still turn to mtv and find myself 5 hours later wondering how such terrible shows can keep me glued to the couch for so long...
Old 08-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliz View Post
haha, I love that you watched gilmore girls tony. favourite show ever.
when I was in germany I became addicted to those terrible MTV "reality" shows like 'Date My Mom' and 'Parental Control' because they were the only shows that were subtitled instead of dubbed in german, so I could still hear the english. now whenever I go to my parents house I still turn to mtv and find myself 5 hours later wondering how such terrible shows can keep me glued to the couch for so long...

Dude. We didn't have tivo or a dvr or so whenever I was out doing something, I HAD to get home to watch the next episode of the Gilmore Girls. I mean seriously, she runs off to Paris on a whim with her ex and gets married?! Poor Luke!....Oh man, I need a life.

I hear ya on reality shows. I was hooked on the Apprentice, Cheaters, and Blind Date! Funny ass shit!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #14
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpunk View Post
I mean seriously, she runs off to Paris on a whim with her ex and gets married?! Poor Luke!

WHAT?!?!!?!?!?!?!

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #15
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliagulia View Post
WHAT?!?!!?!?!?!?!

Uhhhhhh.......nothing.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #16
Mod

julia! how behind are you?!

I know I was so mad too.
I think there should be a support group for reluctant gilmore girls fans, my dad, brother and boyfriend will all be members.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #17
lover of Germany

I wish to make it known that never once have I watched Gilmore Girls and found it remotly entertaining. I know nothing of the adventures of Loreli, Rory Luke Danes and the lives of those in Stars Hollow like Sookie and Taylor. I never thought to myself that while Logan was cool I thought she should have been with Dean and that Jesse was just a looser and had no idea what she saw in them. I had no idea that Rory was hoping to go to Harvard but chose Yale instead and that Loreli ran off to Paris wth Christopher.
That is all
OK so...maybe I saw it...once

Last edited by expatben; 08-05-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #18
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

I still can NOT believe she went with Christopher. See?? This is why I stopped watching once Rory stole that god damn boat.

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #19
Assistant to the Manager

Send a message via MSN to IDDQD

Hi, all!

Even though I teach English, which the majority of English speaking expats do in Asia, many of us are deprived of daily conversation with a high level of vocabulary. Words that were so easy do use before just keep fading away unless I keep reading. Funny that the longer I teach English, the worse my English gets haha

....And then it's just hilarious
IDDQD is offline   Reply With Quote