worst cities - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-16-2003, 03:36 PM   #1
Members

i think my worst cites would be san francisco ( got mugged there ) ---also los angles ( caught a air borne diease that made me sick 4 days ) -------and altlanta,ga ( was also mugged there.....stay away from the train station if at all possible )
Old 09-16-2003, 03:55 PM   #2
Members

Send a message via Yahoo to Paulo

Where did you get mugged in San Fran, and what time of day? I have always felt pretty safe there, unlesss you wander into SoMa land. a.k.a. the Tenderloin district. There are a few other nasty parts, where you don't want to be at night, but most of it is very safe. But then again, I grew up in Inner-City San Diego.

Downtown Oakland is kind of unnerving.

There are parts of Vegas that scare the crap out of me. I still love that town though.

L.A. is really hard to generalize. The air is usually shite, but there are many ultra-nice parts there too. But yeah, if you hang out in Compton, Bellflower, Watts, Covina, etc. you're asking for trouble.

My least favorite city would have to be Kansas City. Although it has two parts too.

Norfolk VA is extremely nasty, totally ghetto-licious. Not too big on Detroit either. I haven't been to many foreign cities, so I don't have much input concerning that.

Paulo
Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 04:17 PM   #3
Members

Red face

in san fran it was just off market st. i dont remeber the cross street......but a guy came up to me and u wanna buy some pot-------i said no!!! so he said 1st one is free.....so that made me stop where i was standing and look at him-------i wasnt gonna buy any, pot is not my thing, but that statement made me think and laugh-------while i was sitting there amused.....some big black came up behind with and umbrella and grabbed me from behind and put the umbrella on my throat ( putting alot of pressure---so i was gasping 4 air ) and i took all the money i had and threw it at him and they took off running--------it all took not even a minute. i guess they would call it a bum rush? or something......i used to live in san jose and oceanside,ca so i was in san fran and L.A. alot at the time...
ya detroit could be the worst ghetto in the u.s.--------

[quote] live with the wolves, and u will learn 2 howl!!!!
Old 09-18-2003, 06:10 PM   #4
Admin

pretty scary, wong Folks, watch out for the blind sided action- be alert! Anytime someone comes up to you from behind and tries to block your air passage- tuck in your chin! Try as hard as you can to slide your chin under their arm, object (in this case, an umbrella) and then youŽll be able to breathe and use your elbows to jam into their sides. Or, grab the object/arm, bend all the way over forward, and they should flip above and over you...for FYI

Quote:
L.A. is really hard to generalize. The air is usually shite, but there are many ultra-nice parts there too. But yeah, if you hang out in Compton, Bellflower, Watts, Covina, etc. you're asking for trouble.
I hear that! The sister of Serena and Venus Williams, the tennis stars, just died of a gunshot wound to the head- in Compton(home of a lot of famous rappers).
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 06:02 AM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

To be comletely honest, I was not overly impressed with Glasgow Scotland, I found it dirty, not as friendly as other cities, they have a pretty bad homeless problem there, and other than walk about the city streets, I could not find alot to do there . I do not HATE the city, but of everywhere that I wave been, I would say thats at the tops the list for worst city. I think it could be so much more than what it is.

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 08:14 AM   #6
TUI
Members

Send a message via MSN to TUI Send a message via Yahoo to TUI

Wong Name I dont mean in any way to be offensive, but I feel I need to clear the air over San Francisco.

I hope you are not saying that San Francisco is your worst city because you got robbed! I know that getting robbed has to be an awful experience, fortunatly I have tattoos covering both my arms and I have an appearance that has somehow kept me free and clear of anybody messing with me, but I have seen it a lot.

Im just curious though...did you not like the city because of this unfortunate event, or did you just not like the city period? I know this type of situation can totally blow, but you have to keep in mind that this could happen in any city on the planet, in fact there are places that are much worse, I guess Im sticking up for SF because I find it to be one of the few cities in the USA with a flavor that is completely unique, I know I'll probably catch shit for this post but I have to say that I have somewhat taught myself not to judge a place by a single experience good or bad, we as travelers are explorers, adventerers, thrill seekers, we strive to milk a city for all it has. I think San Francisco is a beautiful city and Ive had some great times there. I hope maybe in the future this kind of thing will not happen to you, but if it does, it wasnt the city, it was the cheap mother fucker that robbed you who lived in the city.

ok folks, I had a smoke when I got up this morning so I think I may be rambling a bit anyway, thats my opinion!
Old 09-28-2003, 09:47 AM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

I would have to say that of all the cities I've been to overseas, the only one where I felt really unsafe was Guatemala City, Gautemala. It could have simply been the neighborhood my hotel was in, but I made special arrangements so I wouldn't have to walk out at night. Heck, one night when returning late (and hungry) from sightseeing I ordered out for a pizza delivery!!!

I'm not the biggest, meanest looking mo-fo around (about 5'9", 160 lbs -- don't know how many "stone" that is...) -- no tattooes, eye-patches, parrots on my shoulder, missing teeth or bandoliers of ammunition.

But (like others have said) I get by with the old, walk confidently, close the face down to an impassive expression, and use common sense on where you walk and when to cross the street, have fortunately kept me from any bad experiences. My sympathies to you on the mugging, wong name. And yes, I'd probably hate the city if that happened to me, too!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote