would you be happy if your childen traveled? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
lover of Germany

Default would you be happy if your childen traveled?

Some of us in the past have commented on over protective parents who worry about us when we travel or go to certain places. I am curious-especially to those with children how would you react if your kid wanted to travel to some far off place?
Honestly, I think I would be worried and maybe hope they choose not to-hypocritical I know but love is part hypocracy?

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
TPunk Recognized

Wow....I think we may have posted on the same links in years past but am not sure. That said, considering your name is "expat" I would think you'd be all for it. Yeah, the world is a dangerous place but scars are cool most of the time and almost always make for good stories. If my kids(I don't have any yet so I'm not qualified for this) didn't want to travel I'd be worried.

The beauty of this world will last
Much longer than its men
No need for man to test this fact
Enjoy the view instead----Me(Part of a longer poem)
ChasinJason1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
lover of Germany

It is quite possible that someone else posted this but I am unsure.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

I would have to say that I would be happy if my children traveled. I don't have any yet, but I do have a niece... and would be happy if when she got older she wanted to travel. I feel that I would raise my children to have the characteristics needed to be a safe traveler. So, while I may want to keep in contact with them, I would feel that they would be well equipped to handle their situation while abroad.

I don't intend to be a prisoner of my world, and I would hope my children wouldn't be either. Things can happen, but those same things can happen at home too. As I've told people before I'd rather die following my dreams than living in fear of them. Although I may not be a great example of getting out and following them.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

I would TOTALLY love if my kid traveled. He's 14 months and he's already been to Austin, Chicago, and NYC. My dream one day before I die is to go on a safari with him. I am going to push study abroad on him when he goes to college. Going to push foreign language classes. I keep up sooo many travel pics around the house and one day when he's old enough to ask questions I will tall him all my fun stories.

When he is a bit older I would like to take him overseas...

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Let's put it this way, I'd rather die getting run over by 20 tiny scooters in Italy or Vietnam than by one big ass SUV here, and I hope my kids would feel the same way.......sorta.

Much longer than its men
Old 10-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
The " ... " queen of TP!

If you love travel, why would you ever want to deny that joy from your kids? Enough said...I hope my kids OUT travel me...or maybe just under...

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

This year we passed a milestone. Two of our kids went to countries I haven't been to yet. My biggest reaction to this turn of events was JEALOUSY! As a parent, particularly of teenage daughters, I'm going to be nervous whenever they are out on their own, but that's true if they are at a sleepover or in another country - I know that travel has been a blessing to me, and I certainly won't deprive our children of that opportunity! Rather, by bringing them with us when we travel, we feel like we are enriching their lives now, and also giving them the skills they will need when they take off on their own.

The most important thing my mom asked me before I solo traveled was "Where will you go for help?" Knowing that the answer isn't the same everywhere you go, I ran down my list. Once she heard that, she knew I'd be as okay abroad as at home, and was able to sleep a little better while I was away. Now, when we go someplace, we talk to the kids about what to do if they need help, and that makes all of us feel safer, and more confident about exploring this incredible planet.
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
Dig
TPunk Moderator

My wife and I are planning a trip with a close friend of ours for when they graduate. I was talking last night on speaker-phone with her mother and the 3 of us. I could just feel the apprehension in my friend's mothers voice when we were describing potential cities. She reacted with the steriotypical defensive mother routine, but not in a bad way. Our friend will be about 26 when we go and it will be her first "adult" trip overseas. I just think it is a normal parental response to keep children close/safe.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
TPunk Recognized

Most of you admit to being happy for your children to travel, but what if your son / daughter wanted to do the trip I just did?

For those that don't know, that's backpacking on their own through Iraqi Kurdistan, Sudan, Somaliland, Yemen etc.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasinJason1313 View Post
Let's put it this way, I'd rather die getting run over by 20 tiny scooters in Italy or Vietnam than by one big ass SUV here, and I hope my kids would feel the same way.......sorta.
That's funny shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb3000 View Post
Most of you admit to being happy for your children to travel, but what if your son / daughter wanted to do the trip I just did?

For those that don't know, that's backpacking on their own through Iraqi Kurdistan, Sudan, Somaliland, Yemen etc.

Okay, unless my son was Jason Bourne, a trained ninja, or a special forces commando, that itinerary would scare the bejeezus out of me.

Are you with the CIA or something?
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

Ditto, particularly for my daughters. But we were batting ideas around the other day about possible trips next summer, and their suggestion was Madagascar, so they're not exactly beaten path kind of kids...

I have always avoided war zones while traveling, and would like it if my kids were to do the same, but then again, we've had some rather risky stuff going on right where we live, so they're a lot more aware of those situations than I was when I started traveling.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:09 PM   #13
TPunk Recognized

....should also avoid going anywhere based solely on Disney movies...

Much longer than its men
Old 11-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
TPunk Emeritus

Is that the voice of experience talking? I've never considered that possiblity - where would that take you? Tortuga in a tall ship? Our kids are aware of Disneylands as a theory only - someplace other kids go. When we were driving to Paris I invented something terribly interesting to look at out the left window when I noticed the signs for Paris Disney looming out the right...

Old 11-23-2010, 03:30 AM   #15

I totally agree with Sijuki when he said
" I feel that I would raise my children to have the characteristics needed to be a safe traveler"
that's the point, prepare children to life.

When I saw young boys and girls in some bad situation (like drunk in some dark little streets in Barcelona or in Rome with some "disreputables" they oftern were people who had lived in a small city and never learn anything about the world (believe me I worked for 4 years in a school for foreigners in Italy).
katybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:42 AM   #16

Hey mate,

Why worry! Pack your bags and go with them!!!! You can have all the fun that way!! Give them some freedom, relax yourself and then meet up with them again!

haraamzadaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #17

I'd like to think I'd be fine with them travelling, but I don't have children nor have I been backpacking yet so it's hard to say for sure.

But I think travelling can be such a character building activity that I would never stop them, even if I felt nervous about them doing it.
louise92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb3000 View Post

Have you written/posted anywhere about your travels? I'd love to read about your experiences
louise92 is offline   Reply With Quote