Help!! I need some serious advise - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-20-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
Members

Send a message via AIM to britkettle Send a message via Yahoo to britkettle
Thumbs up

Okay guys, I need ya!! Shanie (dimples) and I are planning a trip to Western Europe this summer. It was supposed to be a month and a half long trip, but as we have discussed the trip, the idea of us moving there has begun to blossom. We are both kind of feeling like we are floating in the mid-air of our lives and just kind of going through the motions. Moving overseas is something that both of us have wanted to do for a long time, and the opportunity seems to be there. Here is my issue, I am speaking only for myself because I think Shanie will go no matter what, I will go to Europe being prepared to move there, getting everything back here taken care of before we leave. Then when we find a place that we like enough we will stay there. The places that we are most interested in are Spain and Italy. So my practical side ( ) is starting to freak out about being able to find a job and an affordable place to live there. Also the fact that it is almost exactly two months away and that means packing up my entire house and getting everything taken care of. I think I will just buy a one way ticket and then if I decide that I hate it and want to go home, I will just buy another one-way ticket.

SO...

Give some advise to a girl who is a little bit scared about making a decision like this, advise can also be substituted by reassurance that I am not making a crazy decision!!!!
britkettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:18 PM   #2
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

If you want it, then you'll make it happen. I ended up in Europe for 5 years when I went over there only planning to be there 6 months or so...so hell ya, go for it. What do you have to lose?

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:32 PM   #3
Members

Send a message via AIM to berwin Send a message via MSN to berwin

I say go for it!! I am, i'm leaving in less than 5 months to move to Europe for a year, and i'm only 16, lol. But i'll be moving back to the states to finish my senior year. But then hopefully i'll move back after high school.

believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, unless it agrees with your own reason, and your own common sense</span>

my life, my love, my world (the ramblings of a young traveler)

<span style=\'color:red\'>what would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter
Exclamation

Don't forget visas! You may want to get that squared away first. Being deported would be heartbreaking not to mention a pain in the ass. I am not saying that it is a sure thing but just keep it in mind.

But I wish you the best of luck! I am actually jealous. My plans are to become debt free and then save some money the buy a one-way ticket and work my way around the world. The target is currently 2008.

foofiter

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:56 PM   #5
Members

Send a message via AIM to dimples

brit i say we just say screw it to everything!! Sell it all and just go where ever!!
And to everyone else... on a more serious note...we really do need advice on getting jobs and a place to live in either Italy or Spain...anything helps!
dimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:45 PM   #6
TPunk Recognized

hate to be the bringer of bad news here, and I hope I'm wrong. But from what I understand is it is almost impossible to work overseas legally as an American for any extended amount of time. If you find a way, I'd love to know. Even all the English teaching jobs in Europe are going to Brits and Irish cuz now that the EU is up and running they have no visa restrictions. Most places don't want to deal with the hassle of getting visas for an american.

Like I said, if you find a way to do it please tell me cuz I'd like to try that too.

Jason

The beauty of this world will last
Much longer than its men
No need for man to test this fact
Enjoy the view instead----Me(Part of a longer poem)
ChasinJason1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Hey Brit, I'm with KCL on this - you can make it happen if you want to. While it is increasingly difficult to get legal work, it's most definitely not impossible. If au pairing sounds at all appealing, you can get work doing that. I have a friend that moved to Germany a few years ago doing this. Also, you could possibly get a federal contract job (through the US). That's one thing Jake's looking into.

I definitely recommend calling (not emailing) the embassy for whichever country and talking to someone and see what kind of assistance they offer. That's how my friend got his job.

you could also go to school overseas and ride on a student visa for awhile.

Or, you can do it the illegal way. You risk deportation, but come on, imagine what a story that would make for your kids.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
Members

i actually saw quite a few americans giving tours there. if you know a little bit about the history of some cities you can try that. anyway, i wouldnt hesitate if i were you. things always seem to work out in the end. if you decide not to do this, youll probably kick your own ass in 10 or so years.
travelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:57 PM   #9
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

There is also the option of doing voluntary work...you can often find orgs that will give you a small stipend or room and board if you are doing charitable work. Its usually not something you can arrange in advance, but possible to find once you are there.

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote