First Race Tomorrow! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick
Default First Race Tomorrow!

So I'm on the Chico State road cycling team now, and doing my first race tomorrow morning in Santa Rosa! I'm scared . . . I don't want to be the guy to wreck and take out 15 people in the pack. Could be a disaster tomorrow, cuz I dunno what I'm doing.

Prayers por favor, bitte.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
call me Condi!

Fingers crossed! Let us know how you do!
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Jessica View Post
Fingers crossed! Let us know how you do!
best of luck man, i had a race tonight in atl. came in tenth of over 90

edit out of over 180

the new and improved stupidhurts.org

Last edited by c0urt; 02-17-2008 at 12:52 PM.
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt

Definitely thought you were going to refer to the Daytona 500.

In other news, my buddy Bryan Clauson finished 6th in Saturdays Busch(Now Nationalwide Series) race at Daytona! He's a rookie and only 18 years old .

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

how did your race go?

i just pulled my bicycle out of the car, i dont even want to know how much damage i did to it yet

Old 02-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Just got back, I think I did really well but I didn't place. But it was a great learning experience and a lot of fun. It was a crit, a teammate and I were trading off pulling the pack through the middle of the race and I really felt like we were gonna take it, but by the last sprint we were burnt out. So I learned something, there's no point in even being at the front of the pack until the end, its just a waste of energy.

But holy sh*t, what a rush! 30 mins (category 5) of all-out racing, it was awesome. Didn't even take anyone out. There was a nasty accident in the cat 3 & 4 race, guess us 5s showed em how its done. And now I know how to kick some ass in the next one. Its a bummer, I'm gonna miss two races while I'm in Central America next month, grrrrr.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
TPunk Recognized

and I guess you understand, Court, but isn't that shitty how the difference between 1st and 50th place is about 5 seconds? The place would make ya feel like a real loser if that's all you thought about. I came in 31st.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
TPunk Recognized

crits are tough man. you got props in my book. those are battles. the upper level guys expect to crash i think. i wouldnt even bother taking a composite bike to a crit. (i ride two steel bikes by the way)

but yeah I am glad you got out man. I hope you do more in the future. keep us updated. I am missing a local duathalon and a century I was looking forward to due to a move. I pulled my bike in and looked at it. my front wheel and several bent and twisted spokes from the start. mass starts are not my thing. plus i ran into someone's rear wheel at a stop

I rode mine on a fixed gear and it took about an hour, it was a combination of me drafting my partner on the flats and creating gaps for him when i could the last two miles were uphill he had to almost pull me that was torture (i really wish my road bike had been together)

someone got a picture. of the start look for me with the black jersey the white bike and black and red bag on near the bottom

Last edited by c0urt; 02-17-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
TPunk Recognized

Old 02-20-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
TPunk Recognized

awesome pic

there actually exsist pics of me in full kit, but they dont get posted often

Old 02-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
TPunk Recognized

Yeah I'm not super comfortable with the spandex myself. So what kinda racing is this pic of your's above? Looks awesome, what's with the jeans and backpacks?

I'm a bit pissed, there's a crit and distance race next weekend sorta close to me, but they have nothing for cat 5s. That's bullshit, seriously, that's just wrong.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
TPunk Recognized

check out some of the other pics
http://stupidhurts.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=22

that was an alley cat. they give a list of pick ups and drop offs.
you have to go to the pick ups before you can do the drop offs
get there the best way you know how. you have to have your partner with you. and you have to carry stuff from point a to b.
the traffic made it really interesting

whats the story on the distance race close to you?

dont worry no one is comfortable in spandex for a long time. it kinda grows on you. some days i prefer it, but down town atl, i wanted to blend a little. so i chose a plain jersey and jeans

i weigh more now

Last edited by c0urt; 02-20-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #13
TPunk Recognized

Sounds like a lot of fun! Yeah, no need to get all dressed up if you've gotta stop & go anyways, no point in being too aerodynamic.

I dunno much about it since they don't have anything for me. It's in Modesto on the 1st and 2nd, but only for categories 4 to 1. That's a bunch of crap, because everyone has to start somewhere. I have nine more races as a cat 5 to get to cat 4, that's a long ways to go.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
TPunk Recognized

some interesting alley cat videos from around the world.
http://www.digave.com/videos/ i get a kick from the london one

stick with it and good luck man
some places just dont like dealing with us new guys i think. i have three more to go cat 4. we get lots of races here in alabama and ga, even in the winter.