Lets talk about something important... beer. - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #21
Rabidly Xenophilic

I've got a couple friends that homebrew, and if you follow the instructions it works pretty well. The beer is even good (compared to your cheaper beers like Budweiser or Miller or whatever). Its cost effective, and you don't need to get fancy, the basic equipment is like $100 and works fine. It doesn't even take much time. It does require a little bit of space though.

Some people get really into homebrewing and end up roasting their own barley and all kinds of crazy stuff but thats not necessary at all, the little packets of ingredients from a homebrew store are all you need.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #22
TPunk Emeritus

right on, I've got a pale ale kit I've been meaning to get to...we made a nice batch of soave a couple of months ago.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #23
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

I don't remember if I mentioned it in my original post, but the kits usually come with a dried yeast... often times you get a better product if you buy a fresh yeast. It costs a few extra bucks, but it can make a difference.

Not having my own place I feel bummed I won't get a chance to brew anymore for a while. Plus I left all my brewing stuff back in Michigan. My one bucket was ruined cause someone thought it a keen idea to use it as a cigar ashtray.

As for the cleaners, I don't imagine the one I had would bother ashmatics, it was just a simple powder you mixed with water and soaked the stuff in or used a clean sponge to wipe down.

Best of luck to anyone who tries it! It's a great experience

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:41 PM   #24
Members

ya, the kits are super easy to make. not bad tasting either.

the only problem is the sediment on the bottom. i guess you can drink it, i just strain the bottom third of each bottle.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #25
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

Well . . . a few months later, and I've done a bit of brewing. First batch was a stout, mmmm, similar to Guiness, but different and oh so good. I have a brown ale bottled and carbonating right now, a Belgian ale with orange peel and coriander seed in it's secondary fermentation, and I just brewed up a batch of honey ale, mmmmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maracle View Post
The beer is even good (compared to your cheaper beers like Budweiser or Miller or whatever). Its cost effective, and you don't need to get fancy, the basic equipment is like $100 and works fine. It doesn't even take much time. It does require a little bit of space though.

Even good? Hell yeah its good, assuming its done right its better than anything you can buy since most beer in the States is pasteurized (kills flavor). It can be expensive, depends on what you brew. I've made some great beers that would cost several dollars a bottle in the store for a similar brew, but it costs me about as much as a budget beer. And it is very time consuming, I think each 5 gallon batch ends up taking me about eight hours through the whole process, boil, transfers, bottling, cleanup, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong name View Post
ya, the kits are super easy to make. not bad tasting either.

the only problem is the sediment on the bottom. i guess you can drink it, i just strain the bottom third of each bottle.
That sediment is yeast, if the beer is naturally carbonated in the bottles. It can also be force-carbonated if you prefer.

It's a fun hobby, it can be relatively simple, or extremely complex if you want. Some brewers get really into exact temperatures, water pH, hardness, etc. And it kinda becomes an addiction, the fermenter can't just sit there empty so I keep brewing wort for it.

So who wants to come over for a beer?
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.

Last edited by Legitikick; 01-20-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:01 PM   #26
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

sounds like an exhausting process. I'll come over and drink your beer but waiting 8 hours? I hope you wouldn't get offended if I went to the carryout and got a case of miller lite while I waited.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #27
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

No, the whole process takes at least five weeks, its a major cooking session and then it has to ferment, then work cleaning/sanitizing, then changing containers, bottling . . . yada yada, but not eight hours at once. Its a process you have to enjoy.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote