It's Official! Today I told the world! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
T-PUNK RANGER

Default It's Official! Today I told the world!

I left my specific plans quiet but I told the world (via the ever-modern platform of facebook lol) that I am leaving in Sept to travel. Now that it is certain I am in a strange place...like the calm before the storm. I can feel some anxiety wanting to push itself in, not bad anxiety, just that excited anxiety you get when you have so many unanswered questions. But for now I am just absorbing the reality of this.

I have less than 3 months and a lot of things to do, I don't even have a passport lol

I don't plan to come back for a few years, there is something very freeing about that. I've never been one to be afraid of that kind of thing but what will be a huge challenge for me is learning to come out of my shell as I tend to be quiet and end up sitting saying nothing when people don't hear me in a group. I also am almost debilitatingly shy around strangers, scared to approach people for friendly conversation (I'm just fine if I have a purpose like i need to ask something but just saying hello and looking someone in the eye is hard for me). I hope that this long trip will change that as I will be surrounded by strangers all the time and I will challenge myself to say hi to all of them
westcoastfunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
lover of Germany

I am so happy for you! Its great that its finally out there and people know-almost makes it even more official

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
T-PUNK RANGER

Yah for sure! Up until the moment I said it I could have changed my mind but now...well now it's done!
Old 06-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
The " ... " queen of TP!

Congrats! where are you going?

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
T-PUNK RANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_angelic View Post
Congrats! where are you going?

I pretty much want to go everywhere but my GENERAL plan is south america for 3 months to get my spanish going, australia working holiday for a year, then uk working holiday for 2 years (and use the uk as a base to travel europe). I have a good friend in South Africa for 18 more months so I would like to get there before he leaves, possibly before Australia but we will have to see where the winds blow me

Essentially I'm about to be a homeless drifter, it's gonna be great
Old 06-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Your plans sound fucking sweet. And the cool part is that after a few weeks on the road, you will come out of your shell without even knowing it. Its kinda what the road does to you. If you haven't seen the movie "A Map For Saturday" you should check it out. The traveler in the beginning has the same kinda issues..... That movie will change you by the way!!!
Keep us posted as your plans unravel and share the road stories
Old 06-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
Drifter in the making.

That's amazing. I hope everything goes well and now you have nothing but time to plan and get excited.

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
call me Condi!

I'm so impressed by you! I'm going to love the updates. How free, indeed.

Congratulations!!!!!
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:38 AM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

All of us work-bound types are extremely jealous of you! You'll have a great time. Sure, if you're gone for years, there will be moments of loneliness, and temptation to bag it all and go back home, but stick it out. The next time you hit it off with another travel friend, the next cool, amazing place you go to, and all those feelings will vanish.

So, have you decided upon a blog or anything to keep folks updated?

Oh, and good luck!!!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
T-PUNK RANGER

Yah I do believe it will be amazing as well! Especially since I have never travelled!! I went to Seattle in Nov for a weekend and stayed in a hostel for the very first time with a friend. I had a great time. In Vancouver there is a pub in a hostel here and I went there one night with a different friend and even though I did not approach people myself others approached me (which is different than a regular pub of course) so I know the travellers do not see my shyness negatively. In "regular" life I am one of those that people are afraid to approach because I am actually quite confident of who I am and so that, combined with me trying to play it cool and not act like I am shy makes people not always see how much I would love for them to talk to me.

Anyway, I'm off on a tangent. I will definately look for that movie!

As for a blog, yes I am totally going to keep one. I am right now wrestling with what name to give it. I have westcoastabbey.com registered already and that is who I am so I will probably use it but I have not decided completely because I wanted to try to think of something that denoted my plans... "girlaroundtheworld" or something but that is kind of long and I will be 28 when I go and in my 30's when I get back, girl sounds so young. If you got suggestions I'm open to them!!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:14 PM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

Definitely use the one with "stabbey" in it.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #12
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Congrats!
You are doing something quit similiar to me! Although I have been talking and planning for years, does this come as a surprise to your friends and family?

Booking your first ticket is pretty crazy too! Where are you from?
Old 06-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #13
T-PUNK RANGER

yah it has come as a surprise to everyone. I have not told my closest family yet as there is some money stuff I have to figure out first and they will just get stuck on that and be negative about my plans. But once I figure that out then I will tell them and they will be shocked, and upset I'm sure...but accepting as it is in my nature to start on crazy projects lol
Old 06-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #14
Hiked the Inca Trail

Believe me, I'm the biggest wallflower you could meet. I went on my first solo trip earlier this year & had no problem meeting folks to hang with & talk to. I stayed in hostels for the first time in my life and I'm glad I did. Travelers are an amazing group of people! I'm also extremely jealous of your plans.

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer (an ad in the Smithsonian)

Travel is the enemy of bigotry.
jengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #15

Congrats

and although not as grand i also took my most major step today and resigned from work (my boss thinks me going backpacking is a great idea so will keep me on full pay until the end of july)

im also just hitting the stage of 'oh crap im really doing it'
Skoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #16
TPunk Recognized

Wow! Congrats! That sounds incredible! You have to post the link to your blog as soon as you begin. I am very excited for you! Being alone and shy on the road is not bad...you meet people whether you like it or want to or not lol So enjoy!
BedtimeontheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #17
T-PUNK RANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoey View Post
Congrats

and although not as grand i also took my most major step today and resigned from work (my boss thinks me going backpacking is a great idea so will keep me on full pay until the end of july)

im also just hitting the stage of 'oh crap im really doing it'
That is AWESOME!