Amazing Day - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
The " ... " queen of TP!

Default Amazing Day

Hey Guys, so I just wanted to share a little of my excitement, as life has kind of sucks as of late. I'm working at sick kids 8am-4pm then at a restaurant 4-6 nights a week from 5pm/6pm-12/1am...it's kind of brutal but I'm finally saving like a fiend because I tend to spend WAY too much on food & stupid things. It's draining but I just keep thinking it's only for 3 months...and I WILL prevail.

Anyways today ROCKED! I have tonight off & then I have to work at the restaurant tues-sat so that was nice. Also for this week only I'm conducting the BEST time study in the face of the earth where I measure the flow of recovery patients....meaning I walk into the 2 recovery sections once every half hour and count the patients in recovery. Then I do whatever I want for 20-25 minutes & repeat. It's awesome.

Needless to say I've spent some time reading up on South Africa. In this time, I decided that I am going to take a month & try to work at a hostel or bar in Jeffrey's bay for a month or two during the night and then become a beach surf bum during the day. You have no idea how excited I was when I decided this...I LOVE surfing....I couldnt wipe the smile off my face...Even thinking about it now I'm smiling. And I think I'll stay a little longer if I do that & try to stay to watch the 2008 world championships for surfing. How wicked would THAT be?

Also, today I booked my travel doctor appt. AND my otter trail reservation which hopefully works out....if you dont know what that is, you can read about it here:

http://www.footprint.co.za/otter.htm

it's basically a 5 day/4 night hike through this amazing terrain & it's supposed to be gorgeous....I'm PSYCHED!!!!!

That's pretty much it. Basically I just feel like I'm finally making progress with the plans for this thing & I'm really really happy about how things are going...

Oh! AND I just found out that a friend of mine that I work with also works at future shop so he said I could buy a camera through him and he gets it at wholesale prices plus 10% F*** YEAH!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia

Last edited by simply_angelic; 10-03-2007 at 08:17 AM.
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

i will trade jobs with you

the new and improved stupidhurts.org
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to TERI

sweet SA!! how much longer were you thinking of staying for?

urple\'> "Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree, feel the rush of the ocean."
"...Get aboard a fast train, travel on a damn plane."
" Take a Risk, Take a chance, Make a change!"--- Break away. Kelly Clarkson (lol)
TERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

That's awesome news Laura! South Africa is going to be a blast

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:55 AM   #5
Tpunk Senior Moderators

That's excellent! Glad things are going your way!
Old 10-02-2007, 05:36 AM   #6
TPunk. Recognize.

sounds like a great day and trip you have planned there. You should be smiling. Surfing in South Africa sounds just about as good as it can get. Have you ever seen the Endless Summer and Endless Summer II? There are decent SA surfing footage in there.
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

South Africa is a beautiful country. Talk to the locals once there and figure out what the lay of the land as far as safety is concerned. What you should and shouldn't do...

Enjoy the hike! I had a great time on my hike in Kruger National Park...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:07 AM   #8
Rabidly Xenophilic

So you're leaving after the holidays? Sounds like perfect timing, the last month will go by in a FLASH.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERI View Post
sweet SA!! how much longer were you thinking of staying for?
Teri, it's so weird having YOU call me Sa...I thought we were past that. Call me simply.
I was originally thinking until end of june ish but now probably till mid august...(yes I'm sorry if I stay longer & miss sauble...but we'll see, maybe I just wont go for the internship at all and travel the whole time...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0urt View Post
i will trade jobs with you
well this sweet job is only for the week. After that is data entry again...sitting in an empty room w/o music & entering crap into a computer. Still want to trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbo108 View Post
Have you ever seen the Endless Summer and Endless Summer II? There are decent SA surfing footage in there.
No, I havent seen it, thatnks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidemike View Post
South Africa is a beautiful country. Talk to the locals once there and figure out what the lay of the land as far as safety is concerned. What you should and shouldn't do...

Enjoy the hike! I had a great time on my hike in Kruger National Park...

worldwidemike
I've been trying to talk to people at my work who are from SA and they seem to have no advice what-so-ever....I'm going to have to come up with more specific questions

to everyone else for you encouraging comments. Thanks!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
Old 10-03-2007, 09:07 AM   #10
Rabidly Xenophilic

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_angelic View Post
I've been trying to talk to people at my work who are from SA and they seem to have no advice what-so-ever....I'm going to have to come up with more specific questions

Michelle Haigh in the tpunk facebook group lives in south africa, you might want to get in touch...
Old 10-03-2007, 09:39 AM   #11
The " ... " queen of TP!

thanks, I have actually, she's on my facebook

-James Dean

Old 10-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

woohoo!

glad that things are looking up, laura.....

springbok country here you come.....!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #13
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

SA in SA - sounds like a match made in heaven

Ya know, if you need an adrenaline rush, you can also hit up the world's highest bungee jump, or go for a cage dive with great white sharks. *envy*

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:54 AM   #14
The " ... " queen of TP!

^ Actually looking into it...probably not the bungee jump because that's one of my biggest fears and I wouldnt be able to do it unless someone pushed me, but the diving with sharks sounds sooooo cool (and thanks)

-James Dean

Old 10-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #15
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
but the diving with sharks sounds sooooo cool (and thanks)
Absolutely you have to do that.

I have heard that the dive guides like to f*%k with people to scare them a bit, so don't let them freak you out too much when they start throwing raw meat in the water.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:43 PM   #16
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Sounds like you have yourself a nice little plan there Laura... Congrats.. and it should be a total blast.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote