It's Back! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-01-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
TPunk Emeritus

Default It's Back!

So have you ever lost your travelling desire? Man I must admit in 2006 I didn't seriously have it...I totally talked the 'talk' though. But deep down it was lacking. It was almost as if I became 'content'. God I was so in love with my nice queen size bed and my apartment and a steady income....not to mention my social life..Up until last week..

I'm not sure what happened to trigger it but I actually got my intense travel lust back. I've started researching my new trip feverishly. I feel like i'm stuck in this huge rut. It feels soooooo good to feel this intense travel sensation again. It's scary when you lose it man! I think it's because my social life has really slowed down. I've not spoken to my best friend in 5 months due to a fight, my love life is blah, all my other friends are saving money so not really into the going out scene..Man I need a fresh scene! So yes my friends it's back!I just hope I can last five months....Can I? I think I need a major makeout session to pass the time..

Anyways sorry to ramble...
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

What are you searching about? Do you have a specific idea of where you might be headed??

It's always nice to start planning!!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Yup in sept 1st. I'm going to taiwan, singapore, malaysia, thailand, myanmar, cambodia, laos, vietnam...Then at the end Dec. I'm going to NZ for a year!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Old 04-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
always trippin'

woohoo, SEA galore...you'll love it! :D

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Sounds fantastic!!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:29 PM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick
Default Yahhhh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorama View Post
I'm going to NZ for a year!
Stoked! yell out if ya want advice, a place to crash (i'll be in the welly area i think lol..) or a meet up! lol im very passionate bout nz, so fire away plus i get alot from tpunk so the more i can give back the better:D
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:36 PM   #7
Yoda

Yay Jilly, you got your mojo back!! You're going to have a hell of a time.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:39 AM   #8
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I think I kinda sorta lost my travel desire for a bit, being mired with work and finding my escape in short bouts of heavy drinking. (Not cool, folks, not cool - stress-induced drinking + blacking out SUCKS.)

But now that spring is here and it's travel season, I've found people asking me all sorts of travel advice and I've got the bug back. If there's one thing I love as much as travel, it's helping others get the bug, too.

Anyway, I think we all occasionally take a mental break from the things we love most. Like any relationship, there are ups and downs, but when it comes back, you realize how great it is and how much it means to you.

Good to see it back, eh?

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:11 AM   #9
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to noke_travel

i have totally felt the same way the past few months. my benelux trip that was supposed to be this may fell through for several reasons and since then i've lost that drive to save money, reasearch, even come on the boards as often as i used to. i think that booking my flight to england for next christmas will help spark my interst again and force me to put money away.

glad to see i'm not the only one!

"I showed them...I'm still alive." Homer Simpson
noke_travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

yay! well, happy planning. i've got the bug, but i still have the pre-'first solo flight' jitters. so maybe i'll identify better in a couple years after making a few big trips.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #11
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

yeah I feel ya. I was bummed a couple months back cause the bug was gone... now it just feels like it has matured a little. Like it's not the butterflies in the stomach type of feeling anymore but rather a more determined type of feeling.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #12
celebrating jacks b-day!

I've found my desire changing a little. I'm going to keep travelling but I think I'll be cutting down on the hostels, getting a bit too old for that kinda thing!
BelfastFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #13
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Stoked! yell out if ya want advice, a place to crash (i'll be in the welly area i think lol..) or a meet up! lol im very passionate bout nz, so fire away
Yeah well I was there two years ago and I LOVED it so that's why I'm going back for a year. I was sold on the darn country! We should def meet up! I was actually thinking about settling in Welly for a few months.

Glad other ppl have thought this way....It's such a bummer to feel negative thoughts about travelling. It actually scares me! So I'm glad I got my 'mojo' back..

Where to Next? Iceland!
Old 04-03-2007, 12:19 AM   #14
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

Wellys got a bit of a student housing crisis at the mo (in theory tho i know some ppl have had no prob!) So if ya looking to settle here aim for nov-dec and there will be heaps more accomodation, its not impossible to find a place but u're heaps morelikely to get a better rate and better place if you avoid the late jan-early feb rush!
Awsum! Im supposed to be meeting mooloo at somestage so we may make the first nz meetup??
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:17 AM   #15
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

A co-worker of mine and her husband got the travel bug after hearing me talk about my plans for my next trip. They are both in their 60's and had never gone overseas. They have already been to Ireland twice in the last two months and they will be going to Italy in December. How cool is that?

I can't wait for my first backpacking trip in August. It is going to be awesome!!! I absolutely have the bug.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:16 AM   #16
TPunk Emeritus

Things go in cycles. As for myself, this happens with all of my major activities. Some years I focus more on one thing to the detriment of others. I think its quite normal and part of life. What you never want to do is force something. If you lose the itch for a little while, its not the end of the world and it will be back. Sounds like some awesome adventures coming up!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:31 AM   #17
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Its funny, I was feeling a bit of a loss in the wonderlust deptartment last night. So i jumped online and bought the last set of tickets I needed for our next trip in 9 weeks. Buying air tickets always gets it going for me.

Oddly enough, my wife finally jumped on the bandwangon for a year plus trip. I have been asking her for several years and just last week she tells me shes game. Lots involved there, since we own a home and all the mass amount of things in the house, dogs, etc..... Well, our neighbor will take the dogs for however long we are gone, and we actually trust her, and the house should sell quickly. So now we are getting ready for this next trip, and when we get back we will start trying to get things ready to hopefully head out next march-april for 12-18 months or forever, neither one of us thinks we will ever come back. That is to where we live now.

HELLO, I don't think I could have the bug much worse now.

Last edited by marc873; 04-03-2007 at 07:00 AM.
marc873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:48 AM   #18
Dig
TPunk Moderator

I have the bug really bad now too. I'm glad your travel inspirations have come back.

I live in Lubbock texas. It is in the panhandle of texas and besides Amarillo, everything else is 6 hours away by car. Living here has really hampered my travel experience, but heightened the anticipation. Right now I am in a sort of Limbo. I'm about to get married, the fiancee is graduating with a BS. She does not have to come back until October to take the LSAT. After that we find out what Law school she gets into and we move. I really just want to travel permanently
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote