Well, my weekend just went into the crapper. - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-04-2005, 11:40 PM   #1
Yoda

Sorry guys, this is kinda long.

This weekend I'm doing henna at a local belly dance event that I also did last year. (I just got home and I've settled in with a nice berry smoothie, also containing a good dose of coconut rum.) Last year my experience was lukewarm, but I figured hey, since they charge $25 admission for the weekend and the booth fee is $50 to be a vendor, why not? Might as well make a little money in addition to watching. Last year it was held in a really lame location and there was another guy there also doing henna. For some odd reason he was irritatingly obsequious, I never figured it out. I made about $150 after my booth fee, which wasn't great considering I was there for around 20-25 hours total.

So before I committed to going this year, I made sure to ask the organizer-- via email-- "Are there going to be any other henna artists besides me?" And she said no, you're the only one. The reason this is important is because in an event that can hold no more than 10-15 vendors to begin with, and it's inside during winter, in all likelihood there won't be much business for even one henna artist. I get there this afternoon and what's the FIRST fucking thing I see-- the same guy, and not only is his booth the most strategically placed, he has taped to the wall (with blue masking tape-- tacky, pun not intended) a 2-foot sign that says HENNA with sheets of designs pasted to the wall like tattoo flash. So the vendor organizer guy comes over to me and says "Hi, how are you?" And I said "Pretty irritated, actually. I was told that I was going to be the only henna artist." And you know what he says to me?!?!? I can't fucking believe this-- "Oh, well, I don't think he's *doing* henna, I think he's just selling henna powder." Yeah. This isn't my first day on the job, MORON. If I hadn't already given this lady a check (and if she hadn't already cashed it) I would have given her a piece of my mind and left. Alas. And even though I know this whole thing isn't his fault, the other guy doing henna just bugs the shit out of me-- he's an obnoxious brown noser.

So the vendor organizer must have said something to her because she very carefully avoided me for the entire evening. I have only two small things to console me: Number one, his work is pretty shoddy-- pedestrian at best. Number two, a fantastic, famous belly dancer in the area wants to commission me to paint her studio-- possibly even the outside. I don't know what I'll charge but it'll be a few hundred bucks, anyway.

I'm obviously already pissed enough to have a little chat with her, but there's going to be some real hell to pay if I don't break even. I'm actually kind of looking forward to taking it out on her and making her understand that the $50 she lied to me for isn't going to cover the cost of the bad publicity she'll get after I'm done raking her over the coals to the belly dance community.

Old 03-05-2005, 05:41 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

SV that woman is really piss poor and if you have in written confirmation that there was only going to be one henna artist ie you i would seriously consider getting some legal advice because over here shoul would be in breach of contract....

anyways well done about getting the job, im sure you will do a grand job

as for the bad publicity usually if someone has recieved some bad service ie this woman you would usually tell 25 people thanks to this community you have told about a thousand on an international basis!

i reckon there should be a topic specifically for naming and shaming people who piss us off

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:04 PM   #3
TPunk Recognized

send some T-punkers on her ass and teach her a lesson!

or

or B)

or the best for last

but that does suck...just some advice...$50 is $50, but rather then cause a major bg stink and make yourself look bad, just think of it as a learnig experience (fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me) and move on...plus you made some nice contacts out of it which will more likly turn out more profitable in the long run then being the solo henna artist at that specific show. and by the way, i remeber seeing your work in another post...it seriously kix ass!!
Old 03-05-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Aww! I love you though!!

Belly dancers are hot.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

damn, what a crap deal jeanie. just have another "nice berry smoothie, also containing a good dose of coconut rum," rant away today and forget about it tomorrow.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Ah, we love ya Jeanie...no worries

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:19 PM   #7
Yoda

Thanks guys.

Update: I made my booth fee (+ some) back today, so I'm not nearly the raving bitch that I was. But I'm still pretty hacked off and I am going to say something to her. I also found out that I'm not the only person she lied to. Honestly, I could handle it if it was a mistake and blame it on flakiness, but this is NOT a mistake, she deliberately lied to me because she was short on vendors for this event.

Whatever: I'm feeling more about it now, even though this weekend is going to be a loss in terms of time vs. money.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:38 AM   #8
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Awww.. sorry to hear about the weekend.

We can comiserate over rum-laced smoothies. On top of the $1000 in labor my car is racking up in the shop until tuesday, I'm dropping entirely too much $$$ on a rental until my baby's back.. All for the pleasure of being able to get to work. *sigh*

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:30 AM   #9
Admin

Sorry jeanine. Hopefully a good business contact came out of it. No matter, people have a way of finding excellent talent, and I've seen your AMAZING work first hand!

As far as getting money back from that woman, heck, you can always send pitbull Rozza after her !

You drive out there omi? What about BART?! That things rad!
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:43 AM   #10
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

BART is great (even though it's freakin' $4.95 a RIDE), but it doesn't go anywhere near my work. Oh well, it got me to the rental counter at the airport.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:21 AM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Must be the week for cars taking a crap. On our way out to party Saturday night might alternator went out. Shitty. good thing was we had come back from Minneapolis (about 130 miles from us) and the car made it - decided to go another 40 to see some friends, and that's when it died. Fortunately a friend was following! My friends alternator died last week (we both have Fords - coincidence?? I think not! :greenguy: )

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:16 PM   #12
Yoda

Electrical problems + Ford = the two go hand in hand. We've always had Ford trucks to pull horse trailers with, and while they were great, there was always something schizo with the electrical system, like one time when the headlights were going off... and on... and off... and on down a dark country road pulling 4 horses and no lights anywhere in sight. German cars seem to suffer from this to a certain extent too, I've noticed...
Old 03-07-2005, 12:53 PM   #13
TPunk Recognized

speaking of car issues.....there's a 92.5% probablility that we will make the drive from Fullerton to Indio WITHOUT my car blowing up.

That being said........wear a helmet

The beauty of this world will last
Much longer than its men
No need for man to test this fact
Enjoy the view instead----Me(Part of a longer poem)
ChasinJason1313 is offline   Reply With Quote