IRA ening campaign - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-28-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
Assistant to the Manager

Send a message via MSN to IDDQD

So some uplifting news for the U.K. finally

Quote:
I welcome the recognition that the only route to political change lies in exclusively peaceful and democratic means
anyone else find this to be somewhat hypocritical considering Iraq?

....And then it's just hilarious
IDDQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

I wonder how well it will hold up. Not that I doubt they want to end the violence or what not, I just mean that there are always going to be a few stray loons that wont want to "give up the good fight" type deal. I wonder if they will just kind of get a group of people together still and do it without IRA recognition.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:34 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

ah groups such as the "real ira" wont listen to that statement. Northern Ireland is such a complicated situation even for the northern irish themsevels, thats why there is so much trouble between the protestants and catholics on their marches such as the orange march. I know lots of students from both areas of the island who live in liverpool. While a high majority of northern irish people want to unify the country there are those that see themselves as having a strong connection to Great Britian (dont forget the United Kingdom is the kingdom of great britain and Northern Ireland).
I think with the recent attacks on London the ira may have come to the conclusion that with Blairs tough stance on terrorism and how he will not give into terrorists (i.e. when he mentions israel and palestine conflict) then the unification process of ireland will be halted. Personally I think there should be a refferendum on both sides of Ireland for the people of eire and the people of northern irelans, after all who is to say that the majority of people in eire would welcome any more people with their current economic situation?

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:50 AM   #4
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

I'd say it will hold the IRA have a knack for keeping the rack and file in line, all their doing is laying down arms the group and it's leadership will still be there. There was allot of trouble over the northern robbery, Sinn Fien where looking bad in the media after great wins in the last elections north and south. It looked like sinn fien could become a powerful party in the south and the IRA where holding them back.

Hopefully Ian Paisley will keep his big gob shut for a while and no scupper the hole thing.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:05 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

IRA statement in full
Old 07-29-2005, 09:55 PM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to bookofkels Send a message via Yahoo to bookofkels

As someone who lives in N, Ireland, I'll give my view, there will never be "peace" in N, Ireland, one side or the other is gonna have a problem, so here goes, for there ever to truly be "peace" i think N, Ireland needs to be a country itself, nothing to do with england and nothing to do with ireland, just by it's self, that way no-one can claim that they won!
Old 07-31-2005, 09:46 AM   #7
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by beergal1@Jul 28 2005, 08:33 AM
I think with the recent attacks on London the ira may have come to the conclusion that with Blairs tough stance on terrorism and how he will not give into terrorists (i.e. when he mentions israel and palestine conflict) then the unification process of ireland will be halted. Personally I think there should be a refferendum on both sides of Ireland for the people of eire and the people of northern irelans, after all who is to say that the majority of people in eire would welcome any more people with their current economic situation?
Na, don't agree. They gave up because Sept 11 brought the stark realities of terrorism home to their chief supporters and financiers, the Irish-American community. They realised that terrorists weren't as discriminatory in their killings or as principled as the likes of Liam Neeson and Richard Gere made out.

If they had continued the way they were going, they would have been outcasts, international pariahs, with no hope of support. You have to give credit to the McCarthy sisters for making themselves the final nail in the coffin.

OHT1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:12 AM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by OHT1910@Jul 31 2005, 04:45 PM
They gave up because Sept 11 brought the stark realities of terrorism home to their chief supporters and financiers, the Irish-American community. They realised that terrorists weren't as discriminatory in their killings or as principled as the likes of Liam Neeson and Richard Gere made out.
Good point. I agree. Unfortunately, much of the IRA's financial support through the years has been from Americans.

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:10 AM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Good point. I agree. Unfortunately, much of the IRA's financial support through the years has been from Americans.
exactly, im glad you brought that up mike. It always miffed me the way Some American's condemned terror but were willing to support it and kill inoccent people here in England and in Northern Ireland.

OHT
Quote:
They realised that terrorists weren't as discriminatory in their killings or as principled as the likes of Liam Neeson and Richard Gere made out.
Im sorry but for me a terrorist is a terrorist no matter what they think their principles are. How can you justify killing innocent people in areas such as omagh, Baghdad, New York, Madrid, Bali etc
thats allowing terrorists claim they have a moral right simply because they have principles

Old 08-02-2005, 03:52 AM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

My rule of thumb is this:

If your attacks are against infrastructure (power lines, bridges, etc.), police and military targets, you can legitimately claim you're a "Freedom Fighter," IMO.

If your attacks are targetted against civilians, you're a terrorist.

Thus, initially, when the Iraqis were detonating IEDs on coalition convoys or blowing up oil pipelines, they could claim "guerrilla movement" or freedom fighter status. Even assassinating local government officials who cooperated with the "occupation," still was within the rebel movement realm, IMO. I don't AGREE with them, of course. However, once they started detonating car bombs in markets, etc., they lost that status. They're just terrorists.

Sorry to...er, hijack the thread, but I thought it was kind of relevent to what we're talking about...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:02 AM   #11
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
i think N, Ireland needs to be a country itself, nothing to do with england and nothing to do with ireland,
I'm not sure N.I could survive as a country in it's own right. I remember reading something about that in history at school. I think northern Ireland is better off with the UK anyway, you have all those British tax payers building your roads and getting your services up to a standard a good bit above Irelands. There should be much more cross border co-operation but N.I will always be different from the south but I don't think that's a bad thing.

I've only been up north a few times to catch the ferry to Scotland. When I went up there was no border but you knew when you wher leaving Ireland because the roads suddenly got better and smother and the van stoped shaking around on the pot holes.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #12
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to afterlife3

Kels, i dont think that N. Ireland could ever be its own country. Identity is a key component of a culture. And with half of the country identifying with England and half identifying with Ireland(i dont personally know the percentage just an example), there is always going to be a tug-of-war effect between the two sides. I have a professor that goes to N. Ireland every other year to conduct research and I plan to do research with him one of these years to get a better understanding of the situation, but from what I have learned so far this is what I can think of.
"The enormity of our endeavor excaped us in those moments; all we could see was the dust on the road ahead and ourselves on the bike, devouring kilometers in our flight northward."- Ernesto Che Guevara

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. -St. Augustine

http://www.travelpunk.com/boards/index.php..._album&album=14
afterlife3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #13
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by beergal1@Aug 1 2005, 02:09 AM
OHT
Quote:
They realised that terrorists weren't as discriminatory in their killings or as principled as the likes of Liam Neeson and Richard Gere made out.
Im sorry but for me a terrorist is a terrorist no matter what they think their principles are. How can you justify killing innocent people in areas such as omagh, Baghdad, New York, Madrid, Bali etc
thats allowing terrorists claim they have a moral right simply because they have principles
Not sure what made you think i'm justifying the killing of anyone bg! I'm saying that Hollywood portrayed the IRA in a positive light but the US public now see through that.

OHT1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:15 PM   #14
TPunk Emeritus

I dont know, Liam Neason in Patriot Games tried to kill Harrison Fords wife and Daughter.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:31 AM   #15
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
And with half of the country identifying with England and half identifying with Ireland
N.I has it's own strong culture, they are different from us down south and the rest of Britian and they should be proud of that and build on it. Both Ireland and Britian could benifit greatly from having those great speckers working for us in Europe instead of battling it out. Even the unionists would say their nothing like the English, I'm sure I've heard that come up in interviews.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:58 AM   #16
TPunk Emeritus

sometimes i feel sorry for myself being english we always get blamed for bloody everything ha ha

Old 08-03-2005, 06:29 AM   #17
TPunk Recognized

Ya the English lads around here get some awful slaggen. But they hold there own.