How much planning do you do? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #1

Default How much planning do you do?

Hey everyone!

It has been awhile since I've posted but I was talking with a friend of mine who just got back from an impromptu road trip. So I was thinking I would ask how much planning everyone does before hitting the dusty trail?

My girlfriend is definitely a planner to the extreme. We are heading out of town this weekend and the two day trip probubly involved two days of planning. I on the other hand much prefer to fly by the seat of my pants. I've been known to simply disappear for a few days and end up on the other side of the country. Essentially as long as a have somewhere to sleep the next day I consider myself fully prepared and planned.

So how about everyone else? Fly by the seat of your pants, plan an hour-by-hour itinerary or somewhere in between?
bertus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Admin

I definitely plan...on winging most of my trip.

Even when you wing it, it's still a plan!

The only thing I do is pick the cities I want to visit (and that could change during my trip) and I peg a rough number of days that I want to be there for. Then, I'll book the first night or two online so I know where I'm headed once the plane/train rolls into town.

I'll get a free city map to see the lay of the land and or check out wikipedia online (usually right after I check into the hotel/hostel) and see what the main attractions are in that city.

Then, I just start wandering around and if I make it to some of those attractions, I'll go, but if not I'll get back to it when I eventually come back someday.

Some things I have to see like The Mona Lisa, the Anne Frank Museum, the Eiffel Tower, Jim Morrisons grave, castles, etc...

The other thing I plan is an amount/allowance each day.

Also, I usually plan on sleeping in just about every day. I just got back from a 3 week trip and had free breakfasts at every hotel I stayed at, but I was only able to make it down before 10:30 am (usual cut off at hotels), one time.

As far as bust out a day planner and plan every singe hour of the day....no,no,no....nevah!
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mooloo

I like to plan a bit if you have a lot to fit into a few days but not on longer trips, just roughly which cities in which order so that we don't back track (Keeping in mind my longest trip was 3 weeks so this was neccessary) If I was doing a longer trip I would just plan which countries I want to go and the rough order. Then I would look at lots of stuff to do but decide when we got there what to do and what not to do.

I like planning & lists though!

Explore, Dream, Discover." Mark Twain

---------------------------------------------------------------
My World Travelogue - Bloggity Blog
Updated April 2010!
--------------------------------------------------
Soon
NZ or OZ
Saving for a year - 18 months for a decent trip

Soonest
Trying my hand at short walks/tramps in NZ
NZ or OZ Travel
Passport Stamps; Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam
mooloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:35 AM   #4
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

I am SUCH a planner!!! I dont know why, because I dont really ever stick to my plans......

Before my trip I definitely plan what country/cities and how long and I research good places to stay before I leave. But Im not neurotic about sticking to my itinerary. I love it when my plans change because the changes are always awesome!!

Currently Working in England

After:Jan 5 - South Africa. Sometime 2012 - Canada!
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
lover of Germany

I sort of plan sort of wing it-it depends really. If I am going to a new city then I plan what I want to see and make sure I see it I may also look at youth hostels so I know what my options are. On the other hand I just loving winging it that feeling of not being sure where you're even going to be sleeping is wonderful or just going to a local and asking what there is to see-love it.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
Artist of Life

I used to plan a lot, then kept realizing that my plans would change depending on people that I met. Then I stopped planning, but I found that only after I had left a city I found out about a super cool place that I should have visited, but didn't. Then I thought maybe I should start planning again, but then I realised the years of not planning made me lazy and that I will forever not plan any trips
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
Dig
TPunk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
Then I thought maybe I should start planning again, but then I realised the years of not planning made me lazy and that I will forever not plan any trips
Awesome.

I try and learn things about where I am about to go. I focus on a guestimated itenerary and focus on that. Cities do change and so do items on your checklist. On my first trip I over-planned a bit too much and dialed it back later on in the trip. Things went much more smoothly for me.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #8

Plans are a waste of time and money. I once planned a 3 month euro trp. bought plane tickets and booked hostels on this schedule i made up in my head. HORRIBLE IDEA. I ended up spending 13 months having the most whacked out random FUN trip ever. Never used one of the 7 flights i booked in advance. Hell I even hitchiked from london to frankfurt because i missed my flight after oversleeping AT THE GATE!!!!! GAH!!! lol and guess what?? i ended up having the best 4 day England,amsterdamn (netherlands), france, belgium, luxemboug, germany hitchiking adventure ever!

Places visited: 38 states in North America including Hawaii. Mexico, Guam, Ireland, Wales, England, Germany,Poland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Belgium, China, Hong Kong, Macau and...
DharmaBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertus View Post
Hey everyone!

It has been awhile since I've posted but I was talking with a friend of mine who just got back from an impromptu road trip. So I was thinking I would ask how much planning everyone does before hitting the dusty trail?

My girlfriend is definitely a planner to the extreme. We are heading out of town this weekend and the two day trip probubly involved two days of planning. I on the other hand much prefer to fly by the seat of my pants. I've been known to simply disappear for a few days and end up on the other side of the country. Essentially as long as a have somewhere to sleep the next day I consider myself fully prepared and planned.

So how about everyone else? Fly by the seat of your pants, plan an hour-by-hour itinerary or somewhere in between?
I think we're all planners to some degree. Why else would we be here, right?

That being said, I'm in the same boat. My wife is an obsessive planner. Me? Not so much. As I've gotten older flying by the seat of my pants has become less frequent. Oh well.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
The " ... " queen of TP!

I like to know my options, but then plan everything on a more day to day basis. I tend to make sure I've covered all the really important bases (like visas, shots, etc etc) and maybe done some basic reading on what looks cool in the country/city I'm travelling to then actually decide en route to the city or while I'm there. thank god for the travel guides lol. I love reading them as I travel to the city I'm going to....

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #11

The accommodation is roughly picked out beforehand, and I'll definitely have a few things in mind that I'd like to see or do, but nothing is set in stone. Everything else is spur of the moment.
j_wierzbowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
TPunk Recognized

I spent a year and a half and 8 travel books planning a 3 month Euro trip and other than where I was staying I changed almost everything within the first 3 days. Planning gives you comfort, but changing it up is the exciting part.

The beauty of this world will last
Much longer than its men
No need for man to test this fact
Enjoy the view instead----Me(Part of a longer poem)
ChasinJason1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:56 AM   #13

To plan or not to plan............that is the question.

On the trips where i planned fully, i loved and enjoyed and made the most of my time there especially when it was a short trip.

Other times when i had a little more time i planned the first few days and left the others free. It was pretty enjoyable too.

However, the times when i didn't plan at all not even my first night i found myself spending alot of time doing the planning whilst i was en route! I found that it did waste alot of time although it was enjoyable.

I think it all depends on how you like your travels planned or not.
haraamzadaa is offline   Reply With Quote