Fav City.... - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-15-2003, 04:02 PM   #21
Members

Wink

my favorite american cities are portland,oregon....its alot like vancover but its surronded by parks and all the benefits of being in america-------or moab,utah if u like to mountain bike and camp-------make sure u bring your own tunes. :P

--------------------------------
Quote:
\"seeing much, suffering much, studing much are the 3 pillers of learning\"
Old 09-15-2003, 08:21 PM   #22
TUI
Members

Send a message via MSN to TUI Send a message via Yahoo to TUI

gotta be San Francisco California!!! B)
Old 09-16-2003, 11:28 AM   #23
Members

Send a message via AIM to xxblueberryxmuffinxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxblueberryxmuffinxx

hmmm.....myfav place would would be (in the US)...Chicago....but my favorite city ever is London... *sigh* good times great place.....

Patti
xxblueberryxmuffinxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 11:58 AM   #24
Members

well, being that i am in oradea, romania. i would have to say that this is my favorite town. the last month i have been wandering around what is considered eastern europe, but i wasn't really there untill i crossed the ilen from hungary to romania. maybe it was the time shift on the clock or the costums officer who was more interested in my life story then his job, but i feel at home. this is a country full of circus freaks, and the architecture matches the demeanor, whimsical.

but, to add to this thread, what are peoples least favorite cities?

mine is bratislava, slovakia. no hostels, the police beat the homeless and i had to sleep in an abonded train. it was an experience. i have never turned on a whole town but brataslava just sucks.

and while i am on a rant there are three things getting on my nerves, 1) people who grossly overcharge for bottled water, 2) people who overcharge for maps, 3) hotels, motels, hostels who charge different rates for different people. wqhy don't they just post a price and that is what everyone pays, in slovakia it is common for anyone not from there to pays two or three times as much, why?
these things should all be listed as crimes against humanity, everyone of us will hopefully travel to somewhere other then where we are from, kindness is a reciprical act.

enough about that, come to romania, the last bastion of humanity in eastern europe.
kerouacscabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 01:16 PM   #25
TPunk Emeritus

yah i hear you on the bottle water thing. I remember when i was in rome, the have these stands with frozen bottles of water. It's so hot there that it melts fast and then ya get ice cold water. well it looked so good, so i bought on with the exchange rate it turned out to be $4 (canadian $)...four bux for water!!!!!!!!wtf..

as for cities that i hated. hmmm..Well I have to say that I found Venice to be grossly overridden with tourists. It was disgusting. I went in august and i've never seen so many tourists before. But it was still pretty. So I won't it against venice.

I actually didn't like london all that much. waaaaay to big, no culture, a big melting pot of nothing. It just has no identity.

I actually didn't really like a lot of european cities. I think I'm so use to a certian standard (clean, fresh air, mountains, abundance of parks near by, the beach) that going to a crowded dirty european city was shocking to me. I found that the cities were stinky and had lots of garbage, and every man/women had a cigarrette hanging from their mouth. everything stinks. But don't worry folks that didn't hinder my trip. I still learned to appreciate the history and culture of the places that I was visisting. And I came to understand how much my city rocks..
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 02:50 PM   #26
Members

Send a message via AIM to xxblueberryxmuffinxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxblueberryxmuffinxx

really Dio?....I guess I liked it because at the time it was just totally different than anyplace I have ever been, and at that time (graduating from high school everything is very exciting so probably just the memories w/ my friends and exploring was fun and I'm really into the history of it all too...so I loved learning about it..

My least favorite city?....hmmm never been to a place where the city has been all that bad I would have to say probably Warsaw/Sparta Ky.... (the Kentucky Speedway is a big thing around there) but I think it's the most boring place on earth in the middle of nowhere w/ nothing but gas stations and then the speedway and thats it.... and you want to talk about getting ripped off everything is expensive I guess because of the tourist thing....
xxblueberryxmuffinxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 04:54 PM   #27
TPunk Emeritus

no no I guess i came off totally grumpy and that I hated european cities. Not true at all, just learned to appreciate my own more is all i'm saying.. B)
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 12:33 PM   #28
Members

My favorite cities are Madrid, Montreal, NYC, and Chicago...I also didn't care for London, as well as Los Angeles and Atlanta.
bigperm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 05:53 PM   #29
Admin

KC, wow! Your review on Bratislava was the complete opposite of my ex-roommates review. He was argentinian and spoke in broken english. Of all the coutries that he had traveled through in eastern and western Europe, bratislave was his favorite . Glad to hear that you´re doing well in Romania B)

I hear ya on the bottled water thing...it´s just agua !

My favorite city? Hmmm...Paris was great, especially if you´re with someone from there. Ditto on Madrid, although people in both cities can have that "holier than thou" attitude and rub you the wrong way from time to time. San Fran is another great city´that I always have fun visiting. Dio, I love Vancouver! It´s a lot like my hometown- Seattle. Great people, great food, beautiul scenery, lively atmosphere, green, and fresh clea air
I have a feeling that Dublin and Edinburgh would be on the top of my list, after I hit them both up. Oh, and probably NYC also.
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote