Lets learn from other's mistakes: - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 08-23-2006, 04:03 PM   #21
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Meh, i never used a money belt or lockers. I never carried my passport or a copy on me, i always left it in the hostel in my backpack that had combination locks on all the zips. 99% of the time i would have my daypack with me when i was wandering around, so i would just have my wallet with one of my bank cards and some money in the day pack, that way pick pockets can't get it. If i wasn't taking my daypack i would just throw some cash in my pocket and be on my merry way. This worked fine for me, i never had anything stolen, except when i was rediculously drunk i lost a few dollars here and there, but that's to be expected.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:54 PM   #22
TPunk Emeritus

Yes its best to diversify your important possestions when travelling. If you can stand using a money belt, keep your passport and spare credit card in there and use the wallet for money taken from teh ATM. This past trip I didnt want to bother with one so I stuck my passport and spare card in the button up pocket of my cargo shorts.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:37 PM   #23
Members

I think the lesson to be learned here is that if you just remember to keep most of your valuable docs and monies in yo' mouth it's pretty tough for the pickpockets to get at.
rugbyrne@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #24
Members

Send a message via AIM to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via MSN to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via Yahoo to DJ_VeeeNoM
Angry

Let me tell you guys what I use to keep checks and cards with me at all times, I don't know if you guys are familiar with surfers wallets? Well they are water proof and they are pretty small yet they are secure cause you can lock/tie 'em to you shorts or pants so if someone actually happens to steal it I would more concerened on how he got to steal it without me noticing it than the fact I got robbed. I'll try and find one online: This is something like the one I have ( I bought mine over Hurley)
Old 08-24-2006, 09:18 PM   #25
TPunk Recognized

I too am of the unlucky club of passport losers. with three days left in a 3.5 month eurotrip, i lose my passport in riga, latvia at the world hockey championships. got really wasted at a club next to the hostel, woke up in some irish bird's rented flat, don't know the inbetween, don't know why i was carrying my passport in my pocket though. i f-ing hate moneybelts, wore mine for like the first 3 days. my hostel room was never locked though i guess, and there wasn't any lockers in the room. could have left it in the safe at the front desk, but i was none too worried about it. my buddy left his laptop out all the time with the room unlocked, dumb trusting fools. anyways, so i go to the consulate and the lady tells me 20 DAYS to ship the stuff to ottawa and get a new one shipped back. i was like, 'wtf mate?". go back to my hostel, call home, they look for a new flight. consulate lady phones and says if i pay all this money i can have a temp. from sweden in 3 days. i do that, but can't fly home for like 16 days, unless i wanna splurge for 1st class. anyway, got another couple weeks of touring out of the deal, but also another couple grand in debt with the old man. oh, also, my temp looked so fake that the polish border guards barely let me in. i mean barely. held up the night bus for like 45 mins at the border. everyone probly hated me. then, when flying from krakow to london to fly home, the pope cancels my flight. what a dick. he was in krakow and it was a huge deal, then he decides to fly out at the same time as me and closes the airport and the airspace and i stand out in the rain for an hour and a half waiting, only to find out that my flight was cancelled, and ryanair had no booth there. i was out a couple hundred bucks. sooo mad, thank god i was going to london 5 days early cause i had a friend to stay with.
The Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:07 AM   #26
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Sasquatch @ Aug 25 2006, 12:18 AM) [snapback]136667[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I too am of the unlucky club of passport losers. with three days left in a 3.5 month eurotrip, i lose my passport in riga, latvia at the world hockey championships. got really wasted at a club next to the hostel, woke up in some irish bird's rented flat, don't know the inbetween, don't know why i was carrying my passport in my pocket though. i f-ing hate moneybelts, wore mine for like the first 3 days. my hostel room was never locked though i guess, and there wasn't any lockers in the room. could have left it in the safe at the front desk, but i was none too worried about it. my buddy left his laptop out all the time with the room unlocked, dumb trusting fools. anyways, so i go to the consulate and the lady tells me 20 DAYS to ship the stuff to ottawa and get a new one shipped back. i was like, 'wtf mate?". go back to my hostel, call home, they look for a new flight. consulate lady phones and says if i pay all this money i can have a temp. from sweden in 3 days. i do that, but can't fly home for like 16 days, unless i wanna splurge for 1st class. anyway, got another couple weeks of touring out of the deal, but also another couple grand in debt with the old man. oh, also, my temp looked so fake that the polish border guards barely let me in. i mean barely. held up the night bus for like 45 mins at the border. everyone probly hated me. then, when flying from krakow to london to fly home, the pope cancels my flight. what a dick. he was in krakow and it was a huge deal, then he decides to fly out at the same time as me and closes the airport and the airspace and i stand out in the rain for an hour and a half waiting, only to find out that my flight was cancelled, and ryanair had no booth there. i was out a couple hundred bucks. sooo mad, thank god i was going to london 5 days early cause i had a friend to stay with.
[/b]

When it rains it pours huh?

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:17 AM   #27
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Quote:
Well that sux, but why does he have a bloody briefcase with 7500 bucks in it, i mean come on ppl really.[/b]
Do you know how much these guys get payed?! Why not carry €7500 around with you it's no big loss if you lose it. He was proably planning on doing a bit of shopping or something.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:13 PM   #28
TPunk Recognized

sudz - yeah, alot of shitty things happened in a short space of time, and i wanted to throw myself in the river or get into a huge fight that would erase my memory, but the people around me were absolutely awesome. i went up to riga to meet up with an aussie bloke i met in rome and to teach him about hockey. on the way up, met a pome that was heading that way and we all were going to hockey games in riga. after losing the passport, the english guy, who was surprisingly a huge hockey fan, because of canadian roommates(he even bought a canada jersey), well he bought my ticket for the next game, people offered to buy me drinks if i'd come out with them, a canadian girl offered a place to stay in london for free while i waited to fly home, and me and the aussie ended up travelling for 18days together. he split the day before the pope incident, but when i talked to him right after it online, he offered up his credit card to buy me a new flight to london cause he knew how broke i was. i didn't take it, but i mean, thats pretty awesome. so i ended up becoming much closer with francis and will definitly be visiting him in sydney sometime soon.
The Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:22 PM   #29
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Sasquatch @ Aug 25 2006, 05:13 PM) [snapback]136743[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
sudz - yeah, alot of shitty things happened in a short space of time, and i wanted to throw myself in the river or get into a huge fight that would erase my memory, but the people around me were absolutely awesome. i went up to riga to meet up with an aussie bloke i met in rome and to teach him about hockey. on the way up, met a pome that was heading that way and we all were going to hockey games in riga. after losing the passport, the english guy, who was surprisingly a huge hockey fan, because of canadian roommates(he even bought a canada jersey), well he bought my ticket for the next game, people offered to buy me drinks if i'd come out with them, a canadian girl offered a place to stay in london for free while i waited to fly home, and me and the aussie ended up travelling for 18days together. he split the day before the pope incident, but when i talked to him right after it online, he offered up his credit card to buy me a new flight to london cause he knew how broke i was. i didn't take it, but i mean, thats pretty awesome. so i ended up becoming much closer with francis and will definitly be visiting him in sydney sometime soon.
[/b]

That seems to be the way sometimes. When you have nothing left but the kindness of strangers, you will be suprised that by just being nice to people, how nice they will try to be back and how far some people are willing to go for and with people they just kind of met.

I am glad it all worked out well for you.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote