Monsignor - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #1
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

I know there's a few of you, but can't think of the names off the top of my head. I apologize. Anyhow, my brother in law was deployed to Kuwait-Iraq (waiting in Kuwait now until ?) a few weeks ago. He's pretty depressed. His love of the Army has dwindled and he and his wife are not planning on reenlisting (he's been in over 10 years). He's away from everyone for the holidays, including his wife. And to make matters worse, he can't even check his email because the lines are a million miles long and his ATM card isn't working.

We'd like to send him some letters to cheer him up, but I'd like to send him some other stuff to help steer off the boredom (he's so bored, the place is noisy 24/7, sleep sucks, etc). Any suggestions on what's worked for you? What did you want? Magazines, crossword puzzles, newspapers, photos, games, etc? I know what NOT to send him, but what would be good in a care package?

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:55 AM   #2
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

To my deployed friends some of the stuff they told me they liked were when I was sending local and larger newspapers. it kind of gave them a sence of waht was going on back here, not just a certain section, but mailing the whole paper. Sure it is old by the time it gets to them but it's new to them hehe.

I also sent the regular things like the magazines, random pictures of stuff going on back here etc etc.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Great idea jamie i couldnt imagine being away from my family for the holidays but my dad used to be quite a bit when he was in the navy...good luck with your plans!

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Well, when my Dad was sent to Haiti with the UN he did get a chance to get on line, but he missed a lot anyways, and lost a lot of weight, and as he LOVES sweet stuff I sent him a box of Havana alfajores, which in the US would equal to a boz of Reese's peanutbutter cups, but if they dont get to go online its a great idea to send newspapers... in some middle east countries it's very difficult to get a grast on what's going on in the world, and it feels terrible. Magazines are a good idea as well... gives him interesting stuff to read. Perhaps you counl get him a few on something he's interested on.
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:38 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

I also sent random CD's I made of the newer songs out there I knew they would like. after a little while I figured they havent had any new ones in a while, so a random mix CD of songs here that we have heard to death, are brand new to them. It is also something they can pass around or what not within their units and stuff.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:47 AM   #6
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

The newspaper is a great idea, some links to home really do give people a better feeling for it. Locally roasted coffee really did wonders for us. Beef jerky from a local meat place, homemade cookies and goodies (not like tons of them, just a selection - lets you know the folks back home care)

Hmm... lemme think....

I got a CD of MP3 mixes from a friend that I really appreciated... Depending on where they're at, movies are dirt cheap, so that's not likely to be a good investment...

Another friend, football fan, got some games taped and sent (not all the games make it on AFN, so that's a thought).

They called the local morning DJ and got another friend a CD of one of their shows...

I personally felt uncomfortable when people gushed about how they're proud of what i'm doing and stuff, but I liked to hear the reassurance that folks back home still appreciate it...

(to me, it's my job, so the gushing felt weird. The low-key stuff was appreciated, reminded me that there was something other than where I was)

For that matter, cause I'm from Washington, I started missing green after a while... My buddy kept me posted with photos of where he was hiking (with his dog)

I had ready access to internet, for the most part, so I could keep in touch at home more frequently...

He's probably on Camp Buehring in Kuwait right now. That's only temporary, but it's a pain in the ass cause the post is a 'surge' post, in the middle of a surge of troops.. they go from 1000 full time troops to over 20,000 in a matter of weeks... everything there sucks, and it's a big huge dust-bowl...

His ATM card problem is usually solved by calling his bank and letting them know he's overseas (they usually shut that off overseas to prevent fraud). That should make it work again...

As to the other service members, I know of Lilwings, Peenkflooid, and (i think) Live Free or Die...

When you're stuck in limbo like that, it really sucks. With all the back-to-back deployments everyone's seeing, it's really hard to keep your eye on the prize, so to speak....

Keep the faith, guys...

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:04 PM   #7
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

The time entering and exiting the theater in Kuwait is the worst, too many people, horrible lines, crammed into tents or huge bays, and more extreme weather than Iraq (rainy this time of year).

Local newspapers are great, our Stars and Stripes newspaper does cover worldwide issues, but it focuses on our military stuff so its hard to let your mind escape this crap when you have to read about it all the time.

We can get average goodies in the PX, but its those special regional things I really miss, like jerky from that local guy, my mom's banana nut bread, homemade peanut brittle, good coffee (he'll find a way to brew it once he gets settled down).

The magazine selection is great at some of the bigger PXs, but it depends on what post he's on. There's a few I like that I can't find here so I've subscribed to them. (But now I think some prick is stealing my magazines because I'm not getting them anymore.)

Send him some liquor! I'm not condoning it, but if he doesn't abuse alcohol and his unit doesn't inspect packages (I don't know of any that do, then he'll enjoy a little treat. (This is assuming that he's mature and smart about his consumption/location/timing, etc.) But I didn't say that.

The best thing you can do is just send lots of letters, lots. That's the best thing in the world to me, letters reminding me of the good times and the good times ahead of me, and what my family and friends are up to.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote