In need of some words of wisdom - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 08-12-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Jen05

So, my apologies as I know I posted a similar post months ago, when there were a lot of what-ifs. Here's the story: I just graduated with my first degree, and was also accepted in the post-bachelor education program at my university to become a teacher. It's a 2 year program that's fairly difficult to get into, so it's a bit of a big deal.

Here's the predicament: I kinda want to take a year off! It's something I've always had in the back of my mind, to work at home and save up, then work abroad/travel some more. I know that I have the option of this coming summer to travel for 4 months, but I'll be in debt after that, and I suppose I could travel after 2 years, but I feel there's a lot of pressure to find a teaching job, as they're hard to find here. Plus, right now I have no financial obligations or anything like that. Staying and finishing my university is a good, smart plan, and I know I'd enjoy it, but I feel like I want change! I could defer my acceptance and still be in the program next year.

A bit of a vent, I know. I feel like most people at home think I should stay (family, some friends). I wanna know what you guys would do! Any words of wisdom?
Jen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
Members

Send a message via AIM to PHAT MATT Send a message via Yahoo to PHAT MATT

This isnt about what friends and family think you should do or about what fellow T Punkers think you should do. Do what you feel you need to do. Do what is right in your heart. If that means taking off and traveling and nothing else... doit! if that means traveling/studying abroad..... do it! IF that means staying home and going to school and working... do it! It is all about you, this is your life and no one elses. Just remember that you only live once so the decisions you make will impact the rest of your life!

I am saving all my money, going to UK, Europe and possibly beyond (started as a 1 months trip, right now is 3 months, maybe indefinatly)! I am going to quit my job and just go and do what I want....

We are young and will only live one life (unles you belive in reincarnation, then hell, you can become a bird next life and go wherever you want!) But I this is the life we are living now so make the best of it and do what is going to satisfy you and make you content!

Hope this helps some,

Matt
PHAT MATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
Members

I don't know if it's different for grad school; but I was accepted to a decent College in Illinois and was all ready to go, had my class schedule and everything, then decided to join the Marines. The College just deferred my enrollment and now all I have to do is enroll in classes next fall (six years after I was accepted). Since you've been accepted it might be something worth checking in to.
almostdone82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:08 AM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

I'm not sure if this applies to you 'cause you're in Canada, but I've had a lot of friends in their master's programs tell me that it "looks" better if you travel and live free or do whatever btwn bachlor's and master's than if you take the time off after you've attained your masters. (Does that make since?)

If they will hold your enrollment go for it... Think about this, what is the worst thing that can happen if you go travel now? You come back broke, but with great memories? You might come back a better student... hope this helps :D

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:35 AM   #5
TPunk Moderator

jen, it sounds like you're in a win/win situation

I think you do want to take a year off. Why else would you keep returning to a site about traveling?

You can take a year off, no financial obligations, and then when you return you are still able to go to a great school!
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:51 AM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

Ditto that. If there's no problem deferring a year, then you're not going to lose anything by hitting the road and seeing what the world has to teach you. If you want to be a teacher, you'll be more qualified because you'll have seen the stuff you'll be talking about. And for the folks at home who might be disappointed or worried that you'll chuck the degree possibility, point out that you have DEFERRED your enrolment for ONE YEAR and have every desire and intention of reporting for your first day of school, refreshed, focused and bringing all that experience you picked up on the road.

If, while you're on the road, you decide that this is the life for you...you'll have the self-confidence to follow your dreams in whichever direction they lead. (Just don't mention this to your parents now!) You may even have an opportunity to scout around for future teaching opportunities abroad, while you're seeing the world.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #7
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to MissChick Send a message via MSN to MissChick

I'd say if you really want to take a year off take a year off! I'm glad I did (okay it was 3 years) when I go to school in the Spring I know i'm going to want to be there its not b/c I have to go. I knew I wanted to a teacher and the last couple years plus traveling have confirmed it! Putting school off a year is not that big a deal lots of people do it just do what feels right for you !

MissChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:11 PM   #8
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

I've struggled with the same question. I did a year of college and then decided to join the military for a four years. I always intended on going right back to school, I feel like I've delayed college and my career too long now, but yet I've decided to delay college again. I'll be getting out of the Army next May and I'll be travelling for five months before starting college in the fall. And although it's not the plan, I haven't ruled out falling in love with some other part of the world and changing my college plans all together.

I'm planning on an International Relations career, so that's my excuse for delaying it for five years and travelling. I think my experiences will be a huge benefit later on in life, and greatly set me apart from my co-workers.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:18 PM   #9
Sex and the City Guru

Send a message via MSN to travelchick75

Im kind of in a similar situation although i dont have my first degree yet. If you are able to defer your admission i say GO FOR IT!! School will be waiting for you when you come back, and either way you have an AMAZING opportunity. Dont put your life on hold just cause your friends and family wont like it. Do what YOU want to do. You'll be happy with the results.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
travelchick75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:41 PM   #10
always trippin'

I took a year off (okay, maybe a year and three quarters) between high school and college and it was one of the most fantabulous times of my life - I did a bunch of random things including traveling Malaysia, Taiwan, the Philippines and Canada. I'm sure my gap year helped me enter college with a whole lot more experience and maturity than I would have had otherwise. There's so much to be learnt beyond an educational institute!

If travel is something you really want to do and you can defer without causing any problems and have the resources to pull it off, I say go for it. IMO it probably gets increasingly harder to take time off to do stuff like this as you get older, even if you tell yourself you will, so do it while you can!

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote