Fundraising ideas. - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-18-2007, 03:29 AM   #1
TPunk Emeritus

Default Fundraising ideas.

Well Tpunkers im needing some help...not financially i might add! Just ideas.

The company i work for part-time has a policy that they match every penny an individual makes for charity and so i thought it would be a good idea to raise some money for the school/community i will be working at in Tanzania this summer. I have financed my trip fully by myself so that is not an issue.
So far the ideas i have come up with are:
  • holding an African themed dinner party where i will charge my friends 10 pounds each. I'm going to be paying for the food so the whole of the money raised will be going to the charity.
  • Writing my company name across the car park and getting the residents to cover the letters with silver coins 5p, 10p and 20p
and then im stuck! The fundraising ideas have to be relatively easy to do in time aspects as because of my job as a teacher.

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

how close are you with your school principal? perhaps you could approach him/her about making the school your going to in africa like a sister school? and set up pen pal links btwn your current class? does that make sense? im just thinking that could really open up sum fundraising options
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
TPunk Recognized

if your a teacher, it should be easy!

have a coin donation day, where the kids can all wear, say, mufti if its a uniform school, or jeans day or somehting? and they each pay a dollar or something?

the pen pal thing is awesome, but how would that make money?

ask companies to sponsor you? they pay $x and you wear a shirt with their logo for a week? or somethign random. lol, sell it on ebay?! get crazy!!!

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Or how about you setup a PayPal account for some of your fellow Tpunkers to donate to?

--Joey
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:39 PM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidnz View Post
the pen pal thing is awesome, but how would that make money?
just thinking that if you can tie the school into it you'll get a better backing with fundraising through the school and they'll benefit too
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

ok the school that i am at now is just a 12 week placement before i go to Africa and then i start my permanant job in Essex. At the moment im training in a private school i only started today so i dont really know the way that would work in asking for a non uniform day...i will ask but i doubt it will happen!

Old 03-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
call me Condi!

Maybe do a postcard "sale?" Like collect addresses for a set minimum donation and you'll send a postcard from Tanzania? I'm a postcard-o-phile, so maybe nobody else will find this as interesting, but since you're going someplace exotic, maybe a postcard for a cause would be a neat way to mix your travels with your fundraising.

And PS, the guy at the Tanzanian embassy here in Washington thinks I'm nutso because I called to ask what postage rates from Tanzania to the UK were and he said, "umm, do you have someone *in* Tanzania?" And when I told him not yet, he said about $1.20US. Sooo...it's about .62 pounds? So "charge" more than that and you're set! And maybe if you have a person on the ground back home who will "take orders" so if your postcards get back and word of mouth travels, you'll be able to continue your fundraising.

You could also totally involve your kids because kids love postcards! Esp international!! And it's a baby, school-sized fundraiser, so nobody would have to bid $100ks on a silent auction for a yacht or something.

PS I love the Tanzanian accent on English - you're going to have such a great experience!!
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Wow good idea with fundraising. I recieved a postcard from third year students when i was about to start my undergrad degree it was so exciting as the postcards were from Beijing. I was thiking of doing something similar for my year 6 pupils for when they make the transition to secondary school...wow 62 pence and i have 200 pupils going in to year 7 well i think i will be only sending them to my 'actual' pupils.

I really like your idea though and will definately be considering this thanks

Old 03-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

im not sure this will really work (i know i know why am i even posting it then?)

but i work with infants-5 year olds and my center held an art auction...we bought canvases and the children painted them and we held a silent auction for about 3-4 days where parents and teachers could bid on the art and we raised $416 to help create an area where homeless families can bring their children to access technology and education.

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:33 PM   #10
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

a sponsored club event brings in a grip. basically you find a club that typically charges a cover. you get them to give you the door (you make the cover charge) for a night, so they are giving you the money. in return you are inviting a couple hundred students and doing lots of publicity for the event. you make the cover charge a little cheaper than usual, but you make it an "at will" donation. the club makes out fine because they sell tones of booze. also a lot of fun.

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:55 PM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

I second Anthon's suggestion.

Another one could be writing some of the bigger companies (banks, car dealerships, jewelery stores or even locally owned chains or private doctors) and explain that your going to teach and that your company will match donations. Usually most will be all about it!! You could also offer to do a presentation on your trip when you get back (show pictures or maybe just write a article for their newsletter or even just have your future students mail them thankyou notes).

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote