Great White Shark in Captivity - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2005, 09:17 AM   #1
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

yeah, so i was reading in the paper today about the aquarian in monterey, CA that has a great white shark. i've never heard of one being captive. i would love to go see that.

has anyone gone and seen it or heard of other places that have one as well? this is extremely interesting to me...yes, i'm a SharkWeek nerd.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:41 AM   #2
Yoda

That would be cool! I like shark week too. Although I'm not fond of the Jaws movies-- scared the freakin' bejeezus out of me when I was a kid. I grew up on a lake and even though I knew better and it didn't stop me from swimming for hours each and every day, I was still a little nervous. That also ties in with my fear of seaweed, lol. Strange but true.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Quote:
Originally posted by space virgin@Mar 10 2005, 11:40 AM
That also ties in with my fear of seaweed, lol.* Strange but true.*
Jeanie, you're gonna have to explain this one...whats scarey about seaweed?

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:16 AM   #4
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Hey, I'm with you on the fear of seaweed. I started learning to surf to get over how TERRIFIED I am of swimming in the ocean (little kid, undertow, emotional scars...) and it worked.. Albeit on my second series, I wiped out and got tangled in a bed of seaweed. Arms.. legs.. everything all twisted in goddamn seaweed and I couldn't struggle free soon enough - until my foot hit bottom and I realized I was only in 3 feet of water.

Back to the topic at hand - if anyone ever gets a chance to hit the Monterey Bay Aquarium, I highly recommend it. It's one of the most beautiful aquariums I've ever been to, and some of the displays are just spectacular. They primarily focus on the sea life that's within the immediate area, so you won't see anything too exotic, but they've got some amazing sections like this gorgeous blue-lit jellyfish tank and the ever-popular sea otters.

And if animals-in-captivity isn't your thing, here's reason enough to hit the Monterey peninsula:

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:24 AM   #5
Yoda

Anthon, I have a real fear of seaweed, lol. I don't know when it started, but I lived on a lake that had some parts where the damn things grew up almost to the surface. (I much prefer swimming in deeper water.) One of my scariest moments was water skiing and falling in the middle of that part of the lake, with all the slimy tentacles roving over my legs... god, I shudder just to think about it now! Some of the fear, as irrational as it may be, is "what kind of critters are lurking in that stuff??"
Old 03-10-2005, 10:55 AM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

SV - I'm with you on the fear of seaweed.

I just went (well, a couple weeks ago) to the Shedd aqaurium in Chicago. They did have sharks, but they were small. I'm expecting this massive 10 foot thing but they disappointed me. It was still cool though.

All of the tropical fish were just so amazing. I loved it. I LOVE tropical fish. There was sting rays and this funky looking alien/lobster thing. My absolute fav part was the anaconda!! I never thought I'd get to see one in real life.

It was pricey and crowded but it was so worth it for me (my father in law bithched the whole time. )

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
Members

great whites cant live in captivity. there have been some in captivity before but theyve all died. anyhow, at the redondo beach pier, california, they have a stuffed jumbo size great white and that thing is scary. on television its hard to tell their size but up close is a different story. killing machine. those things are out there in the ocean.
travelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Quote:
Originally posted by space virgin@Mar 10 2005, 12:23 PM
Anthon, I have a real fear of seaweed, lol.* I don't know when it started, but I lived on a lake that had some parts where the damn things grew up almost to the surface.* (I much prefer swimming in deeper water.)* One of my scariest moments was water skiing and falling in the middle of that part of the lake, with all the slimy tentacles roving over my legs... god, I shudder just to think about it now!* Some of the fear, as irrational as it may be, is "what kind of critters are lurking in that stuff??"*
ok, don't worry, no seaweed swimming for you!

Old 03-11-2005, 10:18 AM   #9
TPunk Recognized

Hey Jeanie. There're some nice big kelp beds right off the Redondo Beach pier in case you wanna confront the fear of seaweed and large maneating sharks all at once.

The beauty of this world will last
Much longer than its men
No need for man to test this fact
Enjoy the view instead----Me(Part of a longer poem)
ChasinJason1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #10
Yoda

Quote:
Originally posted by ChasinJason1313@Mar 11 2005, 06:17 PM
Hey Jeanie.* There're some nice big kelp beds right off the Redondo Beach pier in case you wanna confront the fear of seaweed and large maneating sharks all at once.
Oh goody. I'm THERE, dude. Actually when the stuff is out of the water I don't care about it. We used to play with the long kelp "whips" and chase each other with them when we were kids when the tide was out.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:00 PM   #11
Backcountry Betty

Quote:
Originally posted by travelguy@Mar 10 2005, 11:56 AM
great whites cant live in captivity. there have been some in captivity before but theyve all died. anyhow, at the redondo beach pier, california, they have a stuffed jumbo size great white and that thing is scary. on television its hard to tell their size but up close is a different story. killing machine. those things are out there in the ocean.
yeah, the longest they have lived is just a mere 16 days. this one has lived for 6 months so far and is doing good. Check It Out

Quote:
Back to the topic at hand - if anyone ever gets a chance to hit the Monterey Bay Aquarium, I highly recommend it. It's one of the most beautiful aquariums I've ever been to, and some of the displays are just spectacular. They primarily focus on the sea life that's within the immediate area, so you won't see anything too exotic, but they've got some amazing sections like this gorgeous blue-lit jellyfish tank and the ever-popular sea otters.
yeah, anthon and i are planning on hitting it up when we come out there in april for the coachella meet-up.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
Old 03-14-2005, 02:24 PM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

Awesome, yeah the monterrey bay aquarium is great. The bat ray petting pool was my favorite part as a kid.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:30 PM   #13
***** gear guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Somnambulation@Mar 14 2005, 04:23 PM
Awesome, yeah the monterrey bay aquarium is great. The bat ray petting pool was my favorite part as a kid.
btw, how big is this place? How long should we expect to be there?

Old 03-14-2005, 06:53 PM   #14
Minister of Offense

The aquarium itself? I'd give it a good 4-6 hours, depending on how long you end up playing with the tide pools and the ray-petting-zoo thingamajig. I like the relaxing atmosphere, so I like to take my time through there and enjoy the surreality of it all. Also, the restaurant they have there is pretty good, in case you ned a lunch break, but if I remember correctly, it was on the pricey side.

Monterey itself is one of my favorite cities around. It's beautiful, and despite the tourist-trap nature of Cannery Row (the Aquarium is at the end of the Row) the historic bits and old-town feel are really something to be enjoyed. Make sure to take some time to get out to Lover's Point (near where John Denver's plane crashed) and get a peek at the Seven Gables Inn (as featured in a Visa commercial and in my photo above).

There's fantastic seafood - and other food - along the Row and the pier. A couple of my favorites are Paradiso and The Fish Hopper. Go at lunchtime when the prices are doable, or hit them at sunset for a very romantic dinner w/ a view of the bay right outside the window.

If you stay overnight, dispense with the overpriced accommodations near the Row. I don't know if there are any hostels there, but the Cypress Garden Inn is a great cheap motel off the beaten path. Breakfast calls for a trip to the Old Monterey Cafe in old downtown - huge portions of big breakfasts at low prices.. MMmMMmMm

BTW - there's video footage of the Great White Shark over at NPR.org.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:26 PM   #15
Backcountry Betty

Quote:
Originally posted by Somnambulation@Mar 14 2005, 02:23 PM
Sweet!

omisan ---> thanx for the info dude. i really can't wait to go exploring monterey. :D

Old 03-14-2005, 11:23 PM   #16
***** gear guru

Thanks for all the great tips Omi! I don't think we'll be checking out any of the seafood places though...I'm allergic to fish

Old 03-15-2005, 12:06 AM   #17
Minister of Offense

For a guy who's allergic to fish, you sure have a lot of fish imagery in your avatar & sig!

Old 03-15-2005, 10:57 AM   #18
***** gear guru

Quote:
Originally posted by omisan@Mar 15 2005, 02:05 AM
For a guy who's allergic to fish, you sure have a lot of fish imagery in your avatar & sig!
Yea...I like fish, just can't eat 'em *shrug*