What made you wanna go - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2004, 11:11 PM   #1
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

Hey all
I was just reading the boards and hearing the stories and I thought what was it that made you decide to pack what you wanted and leave, to dive into a new world and not have a clue what awaits you tommrow ???

I think my definging moment as corney and chessy as it sounds was going too watch "The Beach" with Leo diCaprio, and the first like 20 minutes where hes in hong kong or whereever andshoots the snake blood and takes whatever offers are given too him. I think thats a cool movie, thats what did it, I was like wow, I wanna go out there and find some adventure of my own

So what was it that made you decide this is the life for me ??
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 04:58 AM   #2
Members

ha ha, i know where your coming from regarding 'The Beach' - i was exactly the same and shortly after i was on a plane to Bangkok! it totally rocked!!

I went to see the Rugby in Oz last year for 3 weeks and had such a fantastic time in 3 weeks that as soon as i got home i arranged my working visa and im going back out there for a year at the end of 2004!
DaveyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:01 AM   #3
TPunk Recognized

I've always liked travelling, and tons of my family have travelled almost everywhere. But, my ex fiance never liked travelling, and I really wanted to go somewhere for just a month. He stopped me, put our relationship on the line etc, after 3 years, I dumped him. Then figured out that I have the whole wide world awaiting me!
***Beady*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 01:46 PM   #4
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Yahoo to clevercraig

Simple. I've always dreamed of this trip. But alas college and the company I used to work for made it impossible, after having my heart broken last summer I needed something to focus on, and I started dreaming about getting away to Europe again....Then one night when reading about backpacking Europe on the net I stummbled upon two sites that made me realize how affordable and practical it could be. The first site was this: http://www.artoftravel.com/

Granted 25$ a day is a bit little but it was the things the site suggested, and the second site was none other than this one. Being able to read what others have done and the concerns of those like me pondering it made it real. Sometime early February it was decided as I bought my first frommers book, and now months later it is a mere 13 days away from happening. Without a doubt though my defining moment was that winter night i stumbled upon two internet sites.

England. Belgium. Germany. Czech Republic. Slovakia. Poland. Holland. Summer '04

Skagway, Alaska Summer '05

Skagway, Alaska Summer '06

Peru, Fall '06
clevercraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 06:29 PM   #5
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

2 things: my first heartbreak and a trip to Egypt in March with my mom....my life has changed dramatically since, for the better, and now I'm all about TRAVELING/LIVING IT UP AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 08:31 PM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

During High School, a buddy loaned me a book written by a backpacker, who'd spent years of his life bumming around the world. It opened my eyes as he talked about his memories, the sights he'd seen in the world, and the experiences. I knew that moment that is what I wanted to do with my life.

Funny thing, that was 23 years ago, and I can't for the life of me remember either the author or the book's name. Ah, but my own memories of my two decades spent seeing the world...THOSE I can tell you about...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 09:53 PM   #7
Members

I work at an air force base so i know lots of military people there. they tell me where theyve been, the fun, the food, the sites, the women, etc. One funny fact i learned is that the US doesnt allow the military based in europe to attend bullfights in Spain. the reason? because the Americans root for the bull and the Spaniards root for the matador. the result? huge fights and riots at these places.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:43 PM   #8
T-PUNK RANGER

Send a message via AIM to arbiter13 Send a message via MSN to arbiter13

where are you stationed?

Well for me, part of it was an innate thing. I've studied and read and watched and observed the world (politics mainly) from afar but I've always wanted to go over and there and just see what it's like. It's the same planet and they put their pants on one leg at a time, but so much of it is different. So much history. So I've been just been making long term plans to get stationed over there, hopefully. Also, since I'm trying to get into intelligence, I want to make sure I like the rest of the world. If I can't stand it, I better change my damn career course.

Secondly, it was a really stupid movie. I'm ashamed to say it, but Eurotrip made me really decide to head over this summer. It wasnt the sex or the weed. It was just the sheer spontaneity of the whole situation. I can't go anywhere without planning every little detail. So, I'm only planning for the basics and winging the rest of it. I'll be in a whole other country, lost, confused and probably broke. But damnit, I will learn, persevere and discover.

Oh yeah, the women. (just a little bit, I swear)
I had my world shattered by a Bulgarian girl.
What can I say, I have a weakness.

"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."
- Ambrose Bierce</color>

Blogger Profile
arbiter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:11 PM   #9
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Columbia

Two places I want to visit the absolute most: Ireland, and Peru (for Machu Pichu/Inca Trail). I can't remember what made me want to visist Ireland, but I know I've wanted to visit it since I was a wee lass. As for the Inca Trail..I was in Penticton for a week visiting my friend. At the time we were both in Judo and because I was missing classes back in Kelowna I went to hers. Her sensae (sp?), at the end of the class, kept us there to show us slides of his trip to Peru, and most of it was of Machu Pichu and the Inca Trail. After that I decided I had to go there.
As to travelling in general...I don't know...maybe all the Lonely Planet?
Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:41 PM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

"I wanted to see exotic Vietnam, the jewel of Southeast Asia. I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture and ... kill them. "
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:16 AM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

I was in grade 11 and in tourism class. (yeah tourism class cool eh!) We had a guest speaker come in from Hostelling International and she told us about the hostelling system and showed us slides of sights around the world. It was amazing. i mean I finally realized that travelling the world was so feasible. it wasn't just for rich ppl. And then the next month we took a "fieldtrip" to a local HIH hostel and I saw these hot australian backpackers in the reception area. I thought wow that is the life!And I've never looked back!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:28 AM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

I had a teacher in grade 11 who was young, very cool, and who had traveled all over the world...I used to stay after class all the time to listen to the stories she used to tell about working at a marina in Sydney, and being a bartender in South Africa...I was a amazed...We spend so much time togeather the admins at the school accused her of having a relationship with me ( That never happened). We became freinds after I left scool and I stay with her and her family when I go out to BC. But she was a huge roll model to me, and my inspiration to travel the world

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote