Gas Prices. How Much Per Gallon Where You Live? - Page 4 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #61
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

That blows. My dad's a truck driver, but the company pays for gas and all that stuff.

So yesterday, my dad tells me to use the 89 crap for my car instead of the 87. It already costs me $60 for a full tank, I am not looking to increase it to $70 so quickly!!

Anyway, EVERYTHING is going up. I work at a restaurant and they increased everything to $__.95 instead of $__.25. There are no longer student discounts at the movie theatre! $10 for everyone! I could have sworn it was something like $5 when I started high school. I went to Baltimore the other day and the parking structure I used to park at for work even increased fees! American might even charge a $15 fee for your first luggage (there's an article with the Baltimore Sun on how to pack everything you need onto your carry on... might have to do that if that fee really does happen).

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #62
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizz View Post
I just came across this article Scientists find bugs that excrete waste and excrete petrol. I don't drive so the gas prices are not directly affecting me, but of course indirectly it affects almost everything so I hope this pans out.
I realllyyyy don't like that idea and find it reallly irresponsible genetic engineering.

How f'n stupid are these mad scientists? Do these morons even think about what they're doing?

Cuz basically, once those GMO bugs break out...and start spreading onto trees and wood structures - they will turn them all into crude oil. Nice. And you can't unring a bell.

A better idea would be a bug that turns plastic back into petro. There's a lot more waste plastic out there, and none of it is structural.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #63
TPunk Recognized

On the TODAY show yesterday or the day before, Meredith Viera did a story on some quarries found that contained these rocks that were primarily made of some type of solidified oil. They have a small plant that converts the rock into oil, but explained that it would be impossible to churn enough of the rock daily to make an impact in the oil crisis in the U.S.

I am looking for the clip, but haven't been able to find it as on yet.

Thought this was interesting though...
BedtimeontheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #64
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyd View Post
I realllyyyy don't like that idea and find it reallly irresponsible genetic engineering.

How f'n stupid are these mad scientists? Do these morons even think about what they're doing?

Cuz basically, once those GMO bugs break out...and start spreading onto trees and wood structures - they will turn them all into crude oil. Nice. And you can't unring a bell.
I don't think that's a huge issue, bacteria need specific types of environments and food to survive. They've been at these for a while and they've all failed due to the high cost of maintaining the bacteria. These would need to be in fermentation tanks under pressure to work it's just they've made the process cheaper.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #65

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt

As far as I know the difference between 87 and 89 is not worth the price increase. Premium recommended cars should use 87 octane I've always heard anyway.

Movies here still have a student discount thankfully, but they went up about two dollars about 2/3 years ago. It was 5.50 for everything, now for a show after 6pm it's 7.50.

Big domestic airfare increases are coming as well as of June 28th I believe. I'm hoping this wont effect Internation flights as I am just about to book a flight to Oz.

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #66
TPunk Recognized

The BBC announced today that the cost of electricity and gas (natural gas... not sure what they call it in america) could be going up as much as 40% by the end of year.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #67

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb3000 View Post
The BBC announced today that the cost of electricity and gas (natural gas... not sure what they call it in america) could be going up as much as 40% by the end of year.
Yeah we call it natural gas as well. Lovely, just as I'm about to rent a apartment with utilities not paid for the first time in 2 years. Boo!

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #68
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

Is one company controlling all of the electricity in your state a common thing?

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #69
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Our state owned electricity company (ESB) dragged Ireland out of the stone ages. In the 1950s Ireland was essentially a 3rd world country. Most the country had no electricity or running water. The state set up the company and took on massive project like the dam in Shannon and transformed the country rappidly. It's one of our proudest achievements. I hate the ESB now their messing with my head and sending me daft bills but in the past they where great at achieving what needed to be done. They do provide a fairly good service we just love moaning and giving out and giving them grief.

They do guarantee that the company behind such an essential service, puts the customer/citizen first. They tend to get fat and lazy though. They are allowing competition to move in now. Hopefully having competition in their will improve the service for the customer.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #70
TPunk Recognized

In Florida I believe there is only one company to my knowledge... FPL - Florida Power and Light
BedtimeontheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #71
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

^Teco and Progress Energy as well.

I feel fairly lucky, I can still get gas below the 4 dollar mark in Tampa.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #72
Rabidly Xenophilic

So I've always made it a point to live very close to work or school. Not so much due to gas prices but because I don't really want to squander 2 hours a day in the car like some of my coworkers.

Anyway, now that the gas prices are sky high I'll probably end up with a job in the near future that involves a commute

Bad timing!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #73
Members

I live in Holland and we pay here 1.70 EUR = 2.68701 USD per liter
ekantnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #74
T-PUNK PRIVATE

I live in Finland and we pay almost 1,80 /liter which is about 10.7 $/gallon. I think that is seriously too much! And because the gas price is that high all the public transportations cost very much aswell. I live 30 kilometers away from our capital city and a bus ticket costs me a 5,6 which is 8,8 $. That's quite a lot for a poor student like me!
FinnAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #75
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

^wow that's ridiculous!!!

It shot up to like 4.09/gal where I live and normally when I drive up to Cbus there are a few places on the way that are ALWAYS cheaper (as in like 10-15cents on the gallon cheaper) that I always have stopped at and even THOSE places are high like everywhere else.

I just upgraded my Blackberry to the newer edition cos mine was broken and they don't sell my old model anymore, so whatev. Anyway this thing has a GPS system on it with the navigator (her name is Nancy and she gets me where I need to go!) thing, and anyhoo since I already had all the accessories and didn't need Bluetooth cos my car has it in there so I don't even need the earpiece, the guy at AT&T gave me a year FREE of the GPS thing.

My point is, this GPS system can pull up the gas stations in the area of any given point and tell you where the cheapest one is!!! So that's pretty sweet. If it made a bigger difference it might be worth the purchase of one for all you drivers out there, but I dunno.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:17 AM   #76
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Cheap Gas now!

I've seen it as low as $2.35 around Detroit. Averaging about $2.50

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2017 : Dublin, South Africa, Grand Cayman (planned)

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #77

2.29 at a Pilot just inside Ohio last night. Could it reach 1.99!?

Old 10-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #78
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

I think it's around $2.63 at the moment in Nashville.

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #79

Send a message via AIM to spacedog

It's about $3.30-$3.70 in San Francisco and the bay area. I've got a car with really good mileage though, so it's about $30 for 200 miles...
spacedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #80
Artist of Life

Totally went down. I filled up this past Friady for $0.91 per litre. THis is like $3.44 CDN / gallon.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote