Tommrrow i start to get into shape - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2004, 09:14 PM   #1
TPunk Recognized

So, tommorrow im going to start a program to make sure im in top shape in 80 days time for when i leave. Just curious does anyone else bother with this, or just go as they are. I guess most of you will be in good shape all year round, but slackers like me have to put in a little hard work to loose a few pounds...

Wish me luck.
Leeroy

Travelpunk - More extreme than your Mum!
Ozpacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:11 PM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

yo oz.

That's funny you mentioned it cuz in december I started going to the gym. I was always involved in lots of sports in highschool, but since then i've become quite the slacker. So my work offered a deal that depending on how many times a week we went to the gym, then they would pay either all or a portion of the members fee. SO how could i pass that up since i live only a 15 mins walk from the gym. SO I joined and it sux. I go four to five times a week. I hate it so much. However I do feel alot healthier. I havent lost any weight (probably cuz I;m still eating tons of junk food), but I run for at least 30 mins on the treadmill and have notice that my lungs are a lot better. When I first started I couldn't even run 10 mins without feeling like I was gonna die, but now I could run forever and at a high speed. So I definately feel alot healthier. Now I can go hiking when I;'m on my trip and feel better. I wouldnt mind losing a few pounds. But I figure that will happen when I;m on my trip. i;ll be so poor that the I won;t be able to afford sweets or junkfood. Only cheap fruit for me! That's what happened in costa rica. I can home with a flatter stomach. okay enough babbling goodluck! It sux but you'll feel better i promise!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:00 PM   #3
TPunk Recognized

Dio,
If you hate the gym so much consider changing your routine, perhaps try a few aerobics classes instead of just CV, I find it used to be alot more fun. or even different cv machines, try some cylcing or whatever.
Or maybe have a gym budy and go to the gym with them.
Also if you really want to loose fat the trick is to gain muscle mass. 1kg of muscle bunrs approx 8 kg of fat per year, it may not sound like much but it does help. and of course burn more calories than u consume.
But at least you can run better, so that next time your travelling and u need to run for that train or bus u can catch instead of missing it cos you were to slow.
good luck
and have fun

zylah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:00 AM   #4
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Yahoo to clevercraig

yes, the lungs....that's my major concern......over the last few years I've really started to smoke a lot more (especially stupid since my family has always been avid smokers and dealt with me telling them how dumb that was) and find myself getting short of breath a lot easier.....i keep planning to do something about this but i can see myself putting it off until it's to late......stupid camel lights, why do thee relieve stress so perfectley? arggghhhh.

England. Belgium. Germany. Czech Republic. Slovakia. Poland. Holland. Summer '04

Skagway, Alaska Summer '05

Skagway, Alaska Summer '06

Peru, Fall '06
clevercraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:17 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Cheers Dio...

...and you know, that when you work out, your still burning calories in your sleep.

Going to the gym is (was) a great passion of mine, and a few years back i was in the best shape of my life. But i made the mistake of letting work take over my life. Now, just last year i got a gym membership and it run out just before xmas (about the same time i decided to travel some more) so, the gym is not a good hobby if your looking to save some money. So, im going to do it how they used to do it. By hitting the road, running, pushups and situps. Just the basics. By combining this with eating the right foods (or just skipping the bad ones) ill be able to shape up in just over 2 months.

By the way, on the subject of gyms (well not really) one man who is true inspiration is none other than ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER. Read his story, how he grew up, wanted to expand, move out of his little home in Thal (austria) and conquer the world. Im definately going to be tracing his early days through austria/germany when im down that way in june.

ill be back !

Travelpunk - More extreme than your Mum!
Ozpacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 04:15 AM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

If I'm going to be doing a lot of hiking, I'll work on that a little before I go. Other than that, no, I don't put on a special program before I go. Course, it helps that I run 4 miles every other day or so, and that my job is relatively physical ('cept this bit here, sitting on the computer reading travelpunk!).

Dio, that's awesome you're up to 30 mins at high speed -- that's a quick improvement. And really, running on a treadmill is harder than running outside. At least that's the way I feel...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:03 PM   #7
TPunk Recognized

Although it feels harder to run on a treadmill cos its soooo boring, according to various running sites i've seen, treadmills are actually a lot lower impact than outside (even better than running on grass ?! not sure i believe that).
But i found that when i could be bothered to run on a treadmill (they're usually too short for my running stride), my shins didnt hurt whereas outside they did.

- Wyzfen
Wyzfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:21 PM   #8
Members

I started a wokout program a few months before my last trip (over a year ago) and am still doing it to this day.

For me going to the gym only was only entertaining for so long. Try other activities that you actually enjoy and you will probibly get better results. I started a cardio kickboxing class that helped me drop about 30 pounds in three months. I'm sure that not drinking 30-40 beer a weekend also helped a little.

BTW - Treadmills making running easier! Keep in mind that the tread is driven by a motor.
Chrisvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:14 PM   #9
Members

B) I just started going to the gym right after winter break, and I've noticed that I have more energy (might be that I took up drinking coffe) and tend to be in a better mood. The only way I can fit it in is by getting up at 7am (and wisconsin winter means the gym is pretty much the only non-freezing option) but what I've found helps is that I use the recumbant bike (where the pedals are in front of you) and I read a really good book, but I'm only aloud to read it while pedalling. Once I get caught in the story I will go just so that I can find out what happens. Also, if you want to lose wieght, adding some stregth training is really the best you can do, and it doesn't really add that much time.
phlipfudge23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:01 PM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

actually the only thing that i like in the whole gym is the treadmill. probably because they are right in front of the "cardio theatre" (ie. televisions). I like running. It feels more natural to me than those other machines like the eplitical etc.. When the weather is nice I like running outside. So next month after my membership runs out I;ll switch to that. Even if I dont lose any weight I still think it's important that I;ll be able to hike lots on my next trip.

wwm-yeah i've been running about 3-3.5 miles about five times a week. In your pic it looks like your running a marathon. Do you enter those often? When you run normally do you usually go up lots of hills or do you run on level ground. I'm guessing if i started running on an incline my endurance would go up faster. true?
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Old 02-17-2004, 03:29 AM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

Yeah, that was my first (and only, so far) Marathon in Fall of 2002. I'll do another one probably in a few years. It just takes sooooooo much time training that I don't want to do it every year. I like running, but not THAT much!

The park where I run my 4 miles has some decent hills, so I imagine that helps on endurance. I hear that varying your speeds builds it up, too. Run some times at a fast pace, some times at your normal pace.

I know some have posted that treadmill running is easier, but I honestly feel I have to run "faster" on a treadmill to get the same time/distance that I get running in the park. I really think the treadmills are calibrated for walkers, and don't give you "credit" for the little in the air hop or leap you do when you run. That's just my own, unscientific opinion. I'd be interested to hear if my theory could be true, though...

"hopping" to get my run in today...
worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 04:45 AM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

Dio...try what WWM says...Go to top speed for let's say 1 minute (it has to be almost unbearable...) and then at a lower, easier speed for 3 minutes, and so on for your entire training. This helps building muscles faster. Try to do it 2 times a week....after 2 weeks do the same thing, but switch for a 2 minutes high/2 minutes low...I used to train a lot, with a personal trainer and all, and this does wonders on your cardiovascular abilities, and helps burn fat better...This week I'm meeting my neighbour, he is a personal trainer and will create a program for me...I'll change program about every 2-3 weeks, this helps a lot with motivation.

Good luck girl!
Old 02-17-2004, 05:29 AM   #13
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Exclamation

Yeah, you will typically lose a lot of weight when you're travelling. The constant walking will burn fat off like candle wax.

I've become pretty lazy myself in this cold winterness, but I have started doing a few gymnastics warm-ups like holding a handstand (by a wall) and back-bridging. This develops functional strength and flexibility vs bulky "beach muscles."

For example, check out Joe Eigo from T.dot (Toronto) - who combines gymnastics with martial arts:

Right-click and save this link target.

Alternate location here...
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:27 PM   #14
TPunk Emeritus

thx guys!! I'll do that when i go to the gym tomorrow!

moc- thats what i wish i had..a personal trainer. I want someone to tell me exactly what i need to do. hmmm mabye i should go find a personal trainer boyfriend or something...

Where to Next? Iceland!
Old 02-17-2004, 06:50 PM   #15
TPunk Emeritus

Yeah, women love to hear from thier boyfriends about what exercises they should be doing, right?
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 05:03 AM   #16
TPunk Recognized

Hey ozpacka, the way I look at it is "wellness" - it's a state of being - that I want to carry with me wherever I am, whatever I'm doing. It's not really about the weight, the look or the trip... I was just talking to a friend, and she reminded me that everything, including fitness and life in general, is about the journey and not the goal. For instance, if you say to yourself, I want to loose 10 pounds, or, I want to be able to sustain myself through the backpacking trip, then, what happens after you achieve that goal? I think that that's why sometimes fitness programs don't last and people fall back to old habits or yo-yo... I'm definitely guilty of that too!

When I work on my "wellness" I focus on the whole thing, inside-out, internal organs, joints, bones, muscles, emotions, mind, spirit... I guess that's one of the reasons I do yoga. There are many types of hatha yoga, I practice Bikram http://www.bikramyoga.com/. I can really vouge (sp?) for this practice, it is the most complete type of program I've found so far, meaning, cardio, strength, flexibility, internal and external body conditioning, emotion, mind and spirit... It is also one of the more athletic types of yoga and it's performed in a heated room.

Anyhow, whatever you do, try to be creative and find that which your body seeks, which your body wants to go back to, something that feels like a hobby, not work. There's so much out there apart from what the conventional gym offers, especially if the gym seems intimidating. You could try dancing, fencing, swimming, pilates, taebo, ballet, there's soooo much...

Also, you can diversify what you already do. One of the things I like to do when I'm on the treadmill is to bring small dumbbells with me (wear weight training gloves to avoid slippage). Then I'll alternate running with speedwalking while lifting the weights, this will diversify the cardio rate and work your upper body muscles too, and if you change the incline then it will diversify the upper and lower leg muscles too.

Dio, I'd totally recommend getting at least a few sessions with a trainer, especially for strength training. A good trainer will listen to you and recommend the correct weight training to target tone and strengthen your body parts. Most importantly, they will show you the correct "form."

WWM - I'm totally impressed with people who run marathons! It must take so much dedication and determination! I hope one day I can do it too!
Carisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #17
Members

have any runners here ever done a marathon while overseas????
crazydiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 03:01 PM   #18
Members

oh all the time!

jteichgrab is offline   Reply With Quote