BBC 50 places to see before you die (2003) - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Default BBC 50 places to see before you die (2003)

http://xtramsn.co.nz/travel/0,,12734-5837578,00.html

Quote:
BBC's 50 Places To See Before You Die

View larger image

More than 8,000 clay warriors and 500 horses were buried near Xian to guard the tomb of the emperor Qin Shihuang around 200 BC.
© Getty Images / China Photos
Related Links
Bali Bouncing Back
Be Seduced By Rio De Janeiro

XtraMSN
In 2003 the BBC surveyed the British public, asking them for submissions on the ultimate place they'd like to travel to before they die. The thousands of responses they received were commissioned into a TV travel series.

The Brits weren't particularly inclined towards their own turf, with no mention of London or the archaeological monuments and amazing castles found throughout the UK. European loactions didn't feature too heavily on the list either, with voters preferring the far flung reaches of exotic holiday spots before those closer to home.

1. Grand Canyon
Stand and soak up its grandeur or get in there and get active - the Grand Canyon has to be seen to be believed.

2. Great Barrier Reef, Australia
Be amazed by the reef's intricate coral formations, ornate reefs and more brilliantly coloured fish than you could shake a stick (or flipper) at.

3. Disney World, Florida
Kids of all ages will succumb to the magic of Walt Disney world in Orlando.

4. South Island, New Zealand
Our own South Island has it all: stunning snowy peaks, crystal clear waters, and scenery so striking it can pass for the mythical reaches of Tolkien's Middle Earth.

5. Cape Town, South Africa
The city sits amongst one of the world's most striking landscapes, promising plenty of fun and good value to boot.

6. Golden Temple, Armritsar, India
Sacred and serene, this beautiful temple attracts thousands of people annually.

7. Las Vegas, USA
Show tunes, slot machines, all you can eat buffet - Vegas has them all.
View larger image

Arizona's amazing Grand Canyon.© ArizonaGuide.com

8. Sydney, Australia
Sunny, sophisticated and extremely good looking, the lure of Sydney's iconic landmarks, its urban harbour and charming residents make it a popular draw for tourists.

9. New York, USA
The city that never sleeps has an inimitable energy and enough hustle and bustle to ensure you'll never be bored.

10. Taj Mahal, India
Built as an eternal symbol of love, the magnificent Taj Mahal never ceases to amaze.

11. Lake Louise, The Rockies, Canada
The spectacular jewel toned lake sits among snow capped mountains in one of Canada's most picturesque national parks.

12. Uluru, Australia
An Australian icon with an air of mystery and an aura of natural beauty.

13. Chichen Itz, Mexico
The famous Mayan pyramids serve as a testament to one of Mexico's ancient civilisations.

14. Machu Picchu, Peru
The ancient Incas built this city high amongst the Peruvian clouds in one of the most remote locations on earth.

15. Niagara Falls, US/Canada
The spectacular waterfalls straddle the Canadian/United States border.

16. Petra, Jordan
The ancient city impresses with the beauty, intricacy, and sheer scale of its carved buildings.
View larger image

The Golden Gate Bridge is an enduring icon of San Francisco.© Jack Hollingsworth / San Francisco Convention & Visitors Bureau

17. Pyramids, Egypt
The man made marvels are the jewel in Egypt's rich sightseeing crown.

18. Venice, Italy
This fairytale city is equal parts European sophistication, stunning scenery and romance.

19. Maldives
The word 'paradise' couldn't be any more appropriate for this group of Indian Ocean islands.

20. Great Wall, China
The wall isn't called great for nothing, stretching a mind-boggling 6,700 kilometres across China.

21. Victoria Falls, Zambia/Zimbabwe border
Named for the British Queen, the might and majesty of these falls hasn't wavered.

22. Hong Kong
The fast pace and mish-mash of cosmopolitan cultures means Hong Kong is never boring.

23. Yosemite National Park, USA
America's natural grandeur is on full display in this Californian national park.

24. Hawaii
Tropical paradise really does exist, and it's here in the sun-drenched Hawaiian islands.

25. North Island, New Zealand
Beautiful beaches, miles of gorgeous greenery, magnificent mountains and geothermal action, topped off with a cosmopolitan city or two.

26. Iguacu Falls, Argentina/Brazil border
These dramatic waterfalls are surrounded by tropical rainforest and exotic wildlife on the Argentinian/Brazilian border.

27. Paris, France
The City of Love or the City of Light? Whatever you call it, it's a city not to be missed.

28. Alaska, USA
Talk about a winter wonderland. The United States frozen frontier is the place to come for majestic scenery and a chance to see wildlife at close quarters.
View larger image

Sugarloaf Mountain (Pao de Acucar) can be seen in this view of Rio de Janerio's beaches.© Anna Payne

29. Angkor Wat, Cambodia
The remoteness of this beautiful temple only makes it more appealing.

30. Mount Everest, Himalayas
Who doesn't fancy making it to the top of the world?

31. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
This irresistible city is a combination of sexiness, flamboyance, violence and beauty.

32. Masai Mara, Kenya
This spectacular game reserve is home to the Masai people and the ultimate in safari experiences.

33. Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
The place where Darwin came to study the unique animal population is a nature lover's dream.

34. Luxor, Egypt
The Nile-side city is home to a wealth of ancient Egyptian monuments.

35. Rome, Italy
The Eternal City is rich in history, filled with must-see monuments and overflows with Italian style and sophistication.

36. San Francisco, USA
California's northern city has gorgeous good looks and an infectiously laid back vibe.

37. Barcelona, Spain
Visitors to the Catalan city will be welcomed with Gaudi and the epitome of European style.

38. Dubai, UAE
A shopping mecca that emerged from the Middle Eastern desert.

39. Singapore
An enticing combination of colonial legacy, cultural diversity and progressive modernity.

40. La Digue, Seychelles
Turquoise waters, white sands and exotic palm fringed beaches.

41. Sri Lanka
The striking island nation is spicing things up as an increasingly popular holiday destination.
View larger image

Surfers have been flocking to Bali since the 1970s.© Getty Images / Jason Childs

42. Bangkok, Thailand
Thailand's capital is a hectic mix of the modern and the traditional.

43. Barbados, West Indies
Adjust to life on Caribbean time on Barbados' picturesque shores.

44. Iceland
The isolated nation boasts some of the world's most striking geothermal scenery.

45. The Terracotta Army, China
This astounding army of thousands has been drawing visitors in since its rediscovery in the 1970s.

46. Matterhorn, Switzerland
The mountain stands high in the Swiss Alps, towering over towns on the Swiss/Italian border.

47. Angel Falls, Venezuela
The route to reach the world's highest waterfall isn't easy, but it makes the sight all the more impressive.

48. Abu Simbel, Egypt
The imposing temples built by Ramses II sit close to the Egyptian border with Sudan.

49. Bali, Indonesia
The idyllic Indonesian island is a beautiful combination of spirituality, natural beauty and a taste of the exotic.

50. Bora Bora, French Polynesia
A shining example of Pacific perfection, Bora Bora is a mixture of mountains, lagoons and azure seas.

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
TPunk Recognized

where have you been on that list, you agree with?

personally i dont see why the north island of new zealand is on there! lol

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

nor las vegas being so far up that list. Or even being on that list!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:04 PM   #4
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Well, I've seen the Grand Canyon (#1) (I wonder if they're in any particular order). I thought it was pretty cool, but I really would have loved to spend some serious time hiking and camping out there.
Las Vegas (#7) worth seeing once or twice, but frankly I don't know how much commercial pap a guy should have to absorb in his life
Hawaii (24) was pretty cool, particularly the volcanoes, I had more fun there and snorkeling than I did on the beaches
San Francisco (36) I grew up there, I'd go back in a heartbeat if I had the resources.
Dubai (38) Shopping mecca? I guess so, but it's got everything you can get at home, anymore... I prefer to shop where Visa hasn't been heard of!

Where I'd like to go?

Iceland, for sure - I just wanna soak in a geothermal hot-tub while it's sub-zero outside!

I'd love to see New Zealand, Australia and I want to climb Machu Picchu!
I've been to Tikal (mayan city in Guatemala) so pyramids are my thing, I've climbed a ziggurat in Iraq, so I've got the pyramids in Egypt and the Incan ones in Chichen Itza, Mexico left...

Beyond that, there's a whole bunch of places that I'd love to go, including Tokyo (no reason, just cause it's there) New York City, and Prague - anywhere else is fine with me, if I've never been there before, so I'm easy to please!

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:25 PM   #5
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

i've been to 14 of those.. disney world surprises me, I absolutely love Disney world but I never really thought of it as one of those 'see before you die' kinda things...
Old 01-31-2007, 03:43 AM   #6
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I've been to 11 of 'em. Of the 11, NZ's north island and Las Vegas struck me as the most, WTF!? But the more I think about it, as much as I despise the place now, everyone should see Vegas one time in their life.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:15 AM   #7
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

I have no desire to go to Las Vegas. I don't know why.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:27 AM   #8
Certified Wise

This list is strange. Instead of having a list of sights it varies from individual locations to whole cities, states and whole countries.

I'm not sure what my point is but I find it hard to take seriously when it seems fairly random.

Hold on I think that was my point.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:04 AM   #9
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

I can claim 6 on that list.

In a way I am not that surprised by the results. This list was compiled from a survey of Brits. Ask any foreigner to name the top 50 places they want to see before they die and Disney World will most certainly come up. A family I was living with in Spain was asking me all kinds of questions about it and Las Vegas. To them, that was as exotic as strolling through the Alhambra was for me.

I think if you compile the top 50 places to see before you die from survey results in the US, you will see a much stronger bias toward Western Europe. As that opening paragraph mentions, London is not even on the list!

I haven't heard of a couple of these places and I consider myself reasonably well informed (tpunk has had a lot to do with this) on travel. Apparently a large portion of Brits know a lot more about the world than I do.

--Joey
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:35 AM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

I have 8 on that list. Some surprising ones I don't have are in my own country. For example, I have never been to Vegas. It just doesn't hold a lot of appeal to me. I have also never been to the Grand Canyon, which is bad. A lot of the places on this list are very touristy, though. Bali? I would rather to go to Jakarta than Bali. Bora Bora....Barbados? Oh well. To each their own. It is interesting to see what certain people choose as "must see".

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:34 AM   #11
TPunk Recognized

I have 8 on the list. I was surprised I had so many.

-Confucius

Israel - Summer (TBA)
Old 01-31-2007, 08:46 AM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

I've been to 11. Funny how a lot of the items are in the US. In May I'll go to Barcelona, so that will be another place conquered! Hehe

And in the next two years I've decided I would love to go to Iguazú Falls.
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:35 AM   #13
always trippin'

I have eight on the list...some of those were definitely on my must-see list, like the Great Wall and Angkor Wat. Others, not so much. I'd definitely like to visit all the places listed, but I don't know if all of them would make it in my top 50.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

you could do iguazu for really cheap flo! And you don't even need to see the brazilian side. It sucks in comparison to the argentina side.

It's an 18 hour bus ride from Buenos Aires, 24 if you get stopped alot like mine did. There are hostels all over there that have daily trips to both sides. I stayed in the HI Hostel on the brasilian side and it was really nice. Very cool place with lots of hammocks.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:33 AM   #15
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe7f
This list was compiled from a survey of Brits. Ask any foreigner to name the top 50 places they want to see before they die and Disney World will most certainly come up.
That's it, Europeans grew up on American TV and Films. NYC and Las Vegas where like different planets to me I'd never seen anything remotely like them.

I've only seen 5.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:49 AM   #16
Dig
TPunk Moderator

Haha... a big ole Nadda, zero, zip, 0. I have seen nothing on that list.... damn, am I missing out that bad
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #17
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Oh big time I don't know how I'd live with the shame of seeing less than 3.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #18
TPunk Recognized

Iguazu will certainly be part of my Brazil-Uruguay-Argentina trip.

-Confucius

Israel - Summer (TBA)
Old 02-03-2007, 08:48 AM   #19
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Ok, I've only seen 4 on the list. Had the chance to see some of the others but passed. I like to get off the beaten path a little more. And I agree that Vegas is not for me, except for the concept of free booze, thats for sure
Old 02-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #20
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I've seen 9 on the list.

I agree that it's a little odd having the North island of NZ on the list, because sure, it's not as beautiful as the south. BUT, there are some really great parts of the north, the Coromandel Peninsula for example, which has some beautiful coastline