Costa Rica - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Cen.Am/Cuba/Carib

Cen.Am/Cuba/Carib Included are Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, Honduras, plantains, and club med!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #21
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

Where ive been: Cộng Hòa Xã Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #22
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Dude, the fresh produce over there ROCKS. The bakery right by the hostel is pretty awesome, too. If you're making your way over to the Monteverde Cloudforest or the Children's Eternal Rainforest in Monteverde proper, check out some of the pastries at Stella's bakery... YUM. Oh, and a milkshake at la Lecheria - some of the creamiest, richest, freshest ice cream ever.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #23
You want fries with that?

Just got in from the Twilight Tour in Children´s Eternal Rainforest. Incredible. Sky was so clear (almost a full moon tonite... will be full when I get to Puerto Viejo later this week...) and got some nice pics.

A couple folks i met on the tour and we´re gonna all get some comida cause this gringo is starving!! Steve cannot survive on bananas and beer alone... But FSM knows I´m trying to!!

Anyway, SkyTrek tomorrow... and La Lecheria para helado...

Nite kids!

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:46 AM   #24

Update time!!!

part of an email to my sis:

Santa Elena is the most beautiful place on earth. Last nite we hiked a 1900 m mountain in the cloud forest reserve (look up Monteverde Cloud Forest on Google.). It was the single greatest achievement of my life. I'm worn out, but feel great. We did it at nite with a Gringo we met here. He's a biologist that works at the Frog Pond in town. Frog pond is a tour that shows all the native species of frogs and toads to Costa Rica. He gave us the tour of the pond for free. The owners, a gringa and her Tico husband were having a party last nite so we got to go in, drink some beers and rum, and enjoy what the Ticos call "Pura Vida."

I have a massive blister on my right heel after that, though!

Pension Santa Elena is small. I have a tiny private room with a shared bath for $8 a night. But the Texans that own it are really cool, and its known around Costa Rica that they are some of the most helpful in country. Really good vibe here.

There's a thing here called zipline tours. We went on one yesterday during the day- 3-400 feet above the ground, hanging from a steel cable... so wild!! www.selvatura.com Best $40 I've spent in CR yet. We hiked around the forest thru a series of suspension bridges and paths. About 3k in total.

Made dinner with some new friends here last nite in the kitchen at Pension. Fried plantains in rum glaze, Pollo con arroz y frijoles nego, y some onions and peppers etc. So cool. Guess the chef in me came out once more...

Btw: Frog Pond: www.ranario.com

Anyway, I'm headed outta here tomorrow to a town called Manuel Antonio. LIttle change in my plans but its gonna be fun. Its on the Pacific Coast. Apparently there is a dire need for good chefs here in Tico-land, and even though I'm not one, I heard of a few resorts in need of at least a mediocre one... Gonna check it out...

OH!! Almost forgot-- ever give money when you were little to save the rainforest in school? We did, in around the late 80's. It went to establish a private reserve of cloud forest and rainforest here. The other nite we did a guided twilight walk of it. So neat- saw a bunch of snakes, a porcupine, and tons of sleeping birds. You should see the pics of the tarantulas!!! When i get around to it I'll email them. So cool to finally see the rainforest I gave $5 to so many years ago.

BTW- Santa Elena - Monteverde is about 75 degrees and breezy all day, then 50 and windy at nite. The mist coming off the mountains in the early mornings keeps it pretty cool mostly... From where I hike, I can see the Pacific Ocean, specificall the Gulf of NIcoya.

Tons of pics and video to UL. Will get it on when I get home.

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Old 01-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #25
Minister of Offense

Going to Manuel Antonio? What??? Not following the TPunk tradition of carbon-copying my trip???

Should be aweseome - say hi to all the capuchin monkeys for me... I soooo need to go down the Pacific Coast sometime.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #26
Weasel Jones

yeah, and do that thing where you zip through the trees on a wire like on home alone! WOO!
Old 01-12-2006, 06:32 PM   #27

Ha, Omi, i wasn't gonna do it EXACTLY... hell, did you climb the highest peak in the area at 2am while drunk? Nah!

No MA manana, going to La fortuna with a really cool girl from Jersey by way of California...

Jeep-Boat-Jeep, FYI. $21 for it is a steal!

Gonna stay in either Arenal Backpacker's resort or Gringo Petes. not sure. GP's is $4, ABR is $10. $4 sounds really good.

Just got in, showered. HIked to the St. Luis waterfall today in the cloud forest. Water was very cold... unfortunately I gashed my foot pretty bad slipping on rocks. PAtched up and hiked the 1.5km back.

Also went to the Lecheria, Omi, got a ChocoMinto shake. THey were outta coffee. Fortunately I'm not lactose intolerant. :D

Also, hit the coffee Co-Op. Fucking great shit. Bought a bag and some souvenirs there. Walked across to Stella's bakery and got the caramel tart im eating right now with my Imperial-weiser. :D

Walked about 2-3km back into town and here I am. Internet is 400 colones for 30 minutes...

Catch you all later!

Old 01-12-2006, 09:18 PM   #28
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

I am having a craving for guacomole now. Thanks Steve.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #29

Finally back home. A day late, and a buck short (literally) due to my delay in Miami. Which gave me food poisoning.

Lets just say that taking a 5 hour+ Costa Rican bus ride is FAR more attractive than taking a two hour flight where even water is making you yack...

Full writeup and pics to follow!

Old 01-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #30
Minister of Offense

Welcome back! Looking forward to getting all the sordid details

Old 01-18-2006, 06:33 PM   #31
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to bookofkels Send a message via Yahoo to bookofkels

Sounds like you where busy!!

Can't wait to read the full report and see the photos!!