Favorite pair of shoes - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Budget Travel Gear
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Budget Travel Gear Yo Nellie, which backpack should I git? Questions and answers on gear related topics (i.e. backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, hiking boots, stoves, etc.).

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #21
T-PUNK RANGER

I'm not a tennis shoe/sneaker person but about a year ago I ran across some awesome Skechers Bikers-Straightaway and they are almost all I wear now! They have elastic instead of shoe strings so you can just slip them on and go...plus they are so cute! They are so comfortable and really slim and low profile which makes them great for going out in. I hike in them in Germany and I was fine there too.
DutchMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #22
TPunk Recognized

I'm going to wear my all black etnies skate shoes to europe. they are super comfy with custom orthotics but maybe a little warm in may/june, although it's what I wear at home all summer. I thought about getting a cheap pair of flip flops to take too but maybe that's something I could find there? or if these shoes suck or give out, they are worn to the point where I could ditch them and get something while I'm there.

Molly
Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #23
TPunk Emeritus

I have three pairs of shoes to my name...well four if you count the pair of dress shoes in the footlocker at my ma's.

Teva slip-ons: I hiked up Chirripo in Costa Rica in them. After I got back though and wore my boots for a while they seem tight now. I may put them back into circulation once I get back to Missouri, where I left them in February. http://www.teva.com/ProductDetails.a...115&model=Shay

Columbia hiking boots: I love them. Roomy, supportive, warm, water resistant, durable. <3

Rope sandals: We make them at the intentional community I live/d at in Missouri. Much better than flip-flops, although they smell when they get wet. http://www.ozarksandals.com/pictures/footsandal.jpg

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #24
Members

I've always liked my pair of prada sneakers. Sure, they're like $100 or so if you look on ebay, but they may be one of the most comfortable pairs of sneakers you will ever wear. Not only that, but they last long, too. Durability can make it worth it alone.
clanshrapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #25
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

sort of on the subject, but does anyone know of good running shoes? mine are killing me since i started adding mileage to my running program.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #26
Hiked the Inca Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlotteDorian View Post
sort of on the subject, but does anyone know of good running shoes? mine are killing me since i started adding mileage to my running program.
Beth,
Check around for a GOOD running store. It's hard to tell anybody what kind of shoes to get since everyone's feet are different. We've got a running store here in Cbus (Frontrunner) that's great. They make you try on anywhere from 3-6 different shoes. When you've narrowed it down to a couple you like they tell you to go outside & run in them. It really helps to be sure the shoe fits. I've never been to a shoe store that wants people to use their shoes before they buy them. I'll never go anywhere else for my running shoes now.

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer (an ad in the Smithsonian)

Travel is the enemy of bigotry.
jengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #27
Members

Definitely go to a good running store and try to get what's called a gait analysis. That will help determine what type of running shoe you should buy (protonation in your feet means you need additional support). I wouldn't look for the 'latest and greatest', ... they're usually just rip offs. Plus if you do mileage runs, your sneakers are gonna be done in 500 miles, anyway... who cares how fancy they look since you're gonna dump them soon, anyway?
clanshrapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #28
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

^thanks for advice guys. i'm saving $$ for the shoes right now. i save one dollar for every mile i run. at 100, i figure i'll be able to buy a good pair of shoes. only 50 miles left, so maybe by january i can replace my sneakers. i actually think there is a frontrunner here, i'll head there then.

my feet don't hurt, i just get weird bleeding on my big toe. gross, i know, but more than being cute, i want to take care of my feet here. i just have to tape up my feet now.

who knew shoes were so important.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to polarbear Send a message via MSN to polarbear

Go lite! i have a pair and i love em for running. i use em for trails and for running around my neighborhood. Super light, super comfy, and good grip. some of the best arch support ever.

http://www.golite.com/footwear/

polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:46 AM   #30
TPunk. Recognize.

I agree with everything people said about going to a dedicated running store to get fitted. If you're really worried about money go and find the shoe and fit you like and then go home and try to find them on the internet for cheaper (although I would just buy them there since the people helped out you so much).

I've actually returned running shoes that I put 20 miles on. It was because of the fact that I was a regular customer that they let me do this. After a few runs what I thought was the "break-in" process was really just an uncomfortable fit that I hadn't noticed in the store. They told me next time to make sure I do my first few runs on the treadmill, that way they usually will take them back if there's no noticeable wear/tear. I would check to see if your store has a similar policy.
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:12 AM   #31
Rabidly Xenophilic

Make sure to bring the shoes you usually walk in and run in to the store as well. When I bought my running shoes at a running store in Austin they watched my gait but also checked how the soles of my regular shoes were wearing and recommended a shoe based on that (I tend to pronate a bit).