clothes i'm thinking of taking... - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Budget Travel Gear
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Budget Travel Gear Yo Nellie, which backpack should I git? Questions and answers on gear related topics (i.e. backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, hiking boots, stoves, etc.).

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-01-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Going east coast America in August for little under 3 months thinking of taking
1x pair of chuck taylor trainers
4/5x tshirts short sleeves and long sleeves
1 maybe 2 pairs of shorts
1x pair of light cords
1x pair combat stlyey trousers
5x pairs of underwear
2x hoodies
1x light fold up water proof but thin rain coat
1x beanie hat maybe 1x baseball cap

What do you lot rekon?Too much too little? not sure what weather is like that time of year on east coast (mainly florida and massachusetts)

Any tips cheers..
p.s. if you hadn't gather it's my first trip :D
And if one man can stand tall..
There must be hope for us all...
Somewhere, somewhere, in the spirit of man.
raysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
Members

I live on the east coast in Virginia and August is the worst month heat wise, unless of course you like the hot summer like I do. Its really bad. Humidity in the 80-100 percent range and temperatures anywhere from 85-100 constantly. Usually no wind and just hot wet air you could cut through with a knife. Every summer afternoon theres usually a thunderstorm that comes through for 20 minutes and it poors.

For Floridia I could imagine it could be hotter and you have the chance of hurricanes if you are visiting the east coast in the late summer early fall time period.

Not really sure about Mass. Maybe a little less opressive heat but still its gonna be hot. Hope that helped a little.
kn34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
TPunk Recognized

So what do you think for what I am taking, As you mentioned there is the rain as well as the sun .I have tried to take enough to accomodate rain for warmth and dryness as well as the usual shorts and tshirt for teh haet.

Is it still quite warm at night?
Do you think I am taking too many 'warm' clothes, maybe loose one pair of trousers?
Old 02-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
I'll rock your socks off

Take a light sweater, you probably wont even need that. Take sandals. Take shorts. Dont bother with the long sleeves unless its one nice button down. I grew up in florida, its hot hot hot and the air is so thick with humidity sometimes you dont know if you're walking or swimming. Tops out at 100 degrees sometimes with humidity in the ninety percent and above area. Are you from south of the equator my friend?
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
I'll rock your socks off

Oh and take something to swim in. Or buy it there I suppose. I like to do that, leave out a few essentials and then when I go back home and someone says something I can casually say "Oh, I bought that in nottinghill..."
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."

Old 02-02-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Cheers fo the advice, Yeah was planning on buying swimming stuff before going, i get a bit funny with things like that. Im not a girly girl you see I like my boys trsouers/shors and tshirs I dont like fitting things so I will have to sort that out before I rekon.lol.

I am from Suffolk in England BTW bout an hour an half up from London
Old 02-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
Members

Going east coast America in August for little under 3 months thinking of taking
1x pair of chuck taylor trainers
4/5x tshirts short sleeves and long sleeves
1 maybe 2 pairs of shorts
1x pair of light cords
1x pair combat stlyey trousers
5x pairs of underwear
2x hoodies
1x light fold up water proof but thin rain coat
1x beanie hat maybe 1x baseball cap

What do you lot rekon?Too much too little? not sure what weather is like that time of year on east coast (mainly florida and massachusetts)

You can probably get away with 1 hoodie. Just make it big enough to layer underneath for cool nights. Definately a light shell. i´d go with 2 T-shirts and 1 buttondown(if you plan on dressing up to go hobnobbing in the city). And dont forget a tight undershirt(think Rodney Dangerfield inNaturalBornKillers), 1 pair ov shorts or try those zip-off cargo pants. It all depends on what your gonna do. if its hike and camp or urban travel. Thats just my two cents. Anyway enjoy
nearly bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #8
TPunk Recognized

Cheers Nearly Bound for the advice, Too be honest we hadvent really got a plan of what to do. I mean we aren't going for hiking or anything like that we want to see the usual sort of sites and do some cool stufff but over all just wanna chill and take it all in, if that makes sense?
Old 02-08-2006, 06:42 AM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

Hang on, if you're leaving in August, travelling for 3 months, you'll be hitting October by the end of your trip. That will definitely affect what you need to take. If you're starting in the north, then the clothes you need in MA in August will be fine for FL in October, but if you head north, you'll definitely need some warm clothes at least for the evenings.

It really is difficult to imagine how oppressive the heat can be on the Atlantic coast until you get there - even in MA the humidity and heat are pretty grim if you're not accustomed to it. By October, Florida should be quite pleasant - I have a photo of some friends in shorts and tshirts on the beach in Florida - in December. And they live there, so they're more attuned to the "cooler" weather! I'd definitely take a pair of sandals or flip flops (or buy some at Target) - that's what everyone else will be wearing and it'll be too hot for trainers and yuck! at the beach. If you're travelling north-south, lose a pair of trousers and maybe throw in a sundress or loose skirt - catch any breeze you can! If you're travelling south-north, you'll definitely need the warmer clothes by fall.

If you decide to buy stuff, Old Navy and Target usually have trendy cheap clothes and they're everywhere.
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
TPunk Recognized

cheers tumbleweedz I had jsut thought of that actually, We will probably be starting in Florida and going up north, thats what I was trying to account for. Mind you though you say your friends are attuned to the cooler weather in Florida, try being in England pretty crappy weather 24/7 lol

As for the sundress or loose skirt thats a big no no, lol I for want of a better word am a tom boy. I dont do tight fitting tshirts/skirts/dresses etc i wear mens tshirts trousers/shorts etc :D all my clothes are pretty loose fitting and baggy to some extend :D
Old 02-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #11
french touch

I'm glad somebody brought the Fall factor up. In October, average temperature in Boston : high 17 Celsius, low 7 ! I live in Quebec, a bit further north, and in October we usually wear a sweater under a jacket, or a polar wool jacket. Along the coast, the wind gets chiiiiilly...

You might want to wait until you get there to buy yourself a sweater as souvenir, instead of packing stuff you wouldn't use if you change your plans while in the USA.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #12
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

does the US have the same holiday season as europe?

Where ive been: Cộng Hòa Xã Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:48 PM   #13
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

the summer one

Where ive been: Cộng Hòa Xã Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:13 AM   #14
TPunk Emeritus

Hey raysen, yeah, I live in Germany currently, Lithuania before that, so I'm about ready for a little sunshine myself! I like atchoum's idea about buying a sweater stateside, no point dragging around a heavy bag down south, and you'll be wearing it the whole time up north. Make sure your jacket is water/wind proof, that coast wind is cutting (think Blackpool in February).
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:07 PM   #15
I'll rock your socks off

Yes, yes we do daniel. I'll forgive you that one since you're from Oz and recently an american friend of mine asked me if you all still have the 4th of July there since it comes in the winter... honestly...