Dana Design Swift Traveler - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Budget Travel Gear
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Budget Travel Gear Yo Nellie, which backpack should I git? Questions and answers on gear related topics (i.e. backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, hiking boots, stoves, etc.).

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-16-2005, 07:21 PM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

I can't seam to find this information anywhere online, and I know a few of you have this bag, so here's a few questions about th '04 model.

So it comes with the detachable day pack, but it also says, "Travel pocket duffel." So it comes with another duffel bag as well? And this doubles as a rain fly, or that's something else?

The bag is 4300 cu. in. without the "extendable lid" filled up? Or with it filled? I'm hoping this bag isn't too big for me. I want all the room, but I also don't want a huge bothersome bag.

What is this "hip lid?" It "converts to belt with hip pack?"

Sorry, these may seem like silly questions, but I can't find any good descriptions of this bag anywhere. And how is it as far as comfort? For example, would I want to hike the Inca Trail with this bag on my back? I need one bag for everything.

Also, does it have any straps to compress the bag down? Does it have a pocket for a sleeping bag? Anything else I should know?

Thanks!
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:48 PM   #2
TPunk Recognized

Also,

Is it easy to lock?

And . . . I'm just shy of 6 feet tall, 190 pounds, sorta muscular, what size would you recommend? Waste size of around 32". I can't find any good online sizing guides. Any advice on which size I should get?
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:15 PM   #3
Yoda

I'm sure Anthon will be along shortly to answer the rest of your questions, but the duffel is exactly that-- a duffel bag that you can put the whole pack into. It's VERY handy if you're checking it through for a flight, as the straps aren't hanging off/etc.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:57 PM   #4
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

As far as size, get a large but a Medium Waiste belt (they let you do that). This pack will be a good size for you. Though you could use a Large waiste belt, a medium would be better.

4300 cu. in is the total volume, and you add just a few more (like 15) with the lid extended. (not a big deal).

Don't worry about the hip lid thing. You won't use it. You can basicly take the lid of the pack (so the very top part) off the pack, as well as the hip belt, join them together and use them like a fanny pouch or whatever the hell they call it.

The duffle is a duffle, and the '04 model did come with it. The entire pack fits in it when the pack is full. As Jeanie says this is for checking it as luggage. It protects the pack. I use mine everytime I travel.

There are compession straps.

There is a part at the bottom on the inside that sections off within the pack for your sleeping bag - this only works if you have a sleeping bag that compresses to a reasonable size. So old boyscout sleeping bags won't fit.

Hope this covers everything

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:54 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Yeah, the duffle is actually built into a zippered pouch on the bottom of the pack. You simply unzip the opening, pull out the duffle, and flip your bag into it. I agree with others, it's handy for traveling to protect your pack.

Other than that, I'm still learning and getting adjusted to using this pack...
Old 12-17-2005, 02:44 PM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Hmmmm, well I guess my last question is about the comfort. Would you want to do some serious backpacking with this pack? If so, I think I'm sold.

Also, with the compression straps, do they compress the sides, to make the whole pack slimmer, or just compress the top and bottom? Anyone know of good pictures of it online? I can only find those few pictures that are on every seller's site.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2005, 02:55 PM   #7
TPunk Recognized

It just seams to look like it's so big and bulky, but really its got the volume of some of these larger trail packs. I really like some of these larger trail packs, or expedition packs, but I don't want a top-loader. Really my ideal bag would be a hybrid-loader, great on the trail, with camelbak system, detachable daypack, and the straps either tuck away or it comes with a duffle for the plane ride. Any suggestions? Or is the Swift Traveler the way to go?
Old 12-18-2005, 08:52 AM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

I have the Swift Traveller and am extremely happy with it. I have only taken it on a few practise weekend excursions, just to familiarize myself with the workings of it. It's a nice pack...whether or not it is bulky all depends on how much stuff you put into it! The daypack is easy to use and a nice size. The duffel it comes with is very handy for protecting your pack while traveling (you know how rough those airline workers are with luggage!!) and its a good size for serious backpacking.

There are a lot of straps and fasteners to get used to however...but that just takes practise. Mine didn't come with an owners manual and I think they should!! But maybe that is good too because it makes me really learn about it and not have to rely on a piece of paper (or Kingcrazylegs!!) to tell me how to work it.

Anyway...let us know what you decide! There are a few ST owners on this site that I am sure will vouch for it and be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:38 AM   #9
TPunk Recognized

Well I made my decision and order the Swift Traveler '04. Do you have the '04 model? It looks very different than the new one, and its a lot cheaper, so I hope its the model we've all been discussing and is so great. I'm thinking that its just a bad picture of the older model.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 12-18-2005, 12:23 PM   #10
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

^ I think you'll be happy with the Swift Traveler

Old 12-19-2005, 10:58 AM   #11
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

I'll agree with KCL, you will be happy with it. I got the 04 pack myself as well. I think it is great and has taken a beathing and still keeps going with me. I think it is a very well built bag and has plenty of storage , but even when you don't need it all, it pulls itself in nicely so that it can still be comfortable and not all loose feeling.

I would buy it again, no question.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:07 PM   #12
TPunk Recognized

Well as I've said in other posts, I finally got my Swift Traveler, and its awesome! I really love this pack. But I'm wondering how so many people can claim that this pack is "huge" and that they've travelled for months on packs half this size. I'm out of room, in fact I'm even taking my sleeping back out and strapping it on, and I still have a few things to add like shoes and some hygiene stuff.

I'm not gonna list everything I'm taking, but I've really kept packing light in mind, taking only what I really need, and somehow I've filled more than 4300ci. So what am I doing wrong?

Maybe the problem is that I'm taking raingear, water filter, and 3 pairs of shoes, but they're all required things.

Anyways, just kinda pissed cuz I wanted room to bring stuff back with me.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:12 PM   #13
***** gear guru

^I think its just a matter of minimizing. Only take was is absolutely necessary...but then people define "necessary" differently.