Now I am thinking Sydney - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Australia/NZ/S Pac.
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Australia/NZ/S Pac. Backpack´n Kangaroo jack´n down-under...What is Vegemite?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
Immigrating? Easy? Right.

Send a message via AIM to indierock05 Send a message via Yahoo to indierock05 Send a message via Skype™ to indierock05
Red face

So as I wrote before, I was moving to Melbourne. However, it is kind of a little too cold and I am working on convincing my boyfriend Sydney will be better for the both of us because of more job opprotunities (right?)

So I will ask again, anyone from there? Any good advice on where to live? I will probably, meaning he since he is a kiwi and can actually buy property there, buy an apartment so I want to make sure it is a good area to live. Around things to do and parks to relax in. Any ideas?

Also, if any, ANYONE knows someone in the hotel industry over there or has any info about it, I would love it. I am a sitting duck with no info over there despite my hours of hunting over the internet.

So help, please!!

"The whole object of travel is to not set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as foreign land" -G.K. Chesterton
"As long as we have memories of the ones we love, we will always be home" - me
Claudette
Go Gators!
indierock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:53 PM   #2
Members

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(indierock05 @ Sep 29 2006, 05:44 AM) [snapback]141128[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
So as I wrote before, I was moving to Melbourne. However, it is kind of a little too cold and I am working on convincing my boyfriend Sydney will be better for the both of us because of more job opprotunities (right?)

So I will ask again, anyone from there? Any good advice on where to live? I will probably, meaning he since he is a kiwi and can actually buy property there, buy an apartment so I want to make sure it is a good area to live. Around things to do and parks to relax in. Any ideas?

Also, if any, ANYONE knows someone in the hotel industry over there or has any info about it, I would love it. I am a sitting duck with no info over there despite my hours of hunting over the internet.

So help, please!!
[/b]

I would have to do some checking with my mate that works for Raffles I could contact him and maybe set the two of you up......if you like......Jae
jaeodowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:50 AM   #3
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

ya making a big mistake..... Sydney Bad, Melbourne Good

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:38 AM   #4
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

I just lived there for a few months. I wanted to be walking distance to the CBD, since I was working there, and lived in Surry Hills. I am completely biased of course, but I thought it was the perfect area; close enough to the CBD/Oxford Street/Moore Park but far enough away. Nicer than Redfern but not as expensive as Paddington or Potts Point.

I'm also a fan of the more eastern suburbs; Bondi/Randwick/etc. and the Northern Beaches.

Really there are not many bad places to live in Sydney! If the two of you look for a room, expect to pay about $200/week for the two of you in one room.

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:25 AM   #5
Certified Wise

As I've said before I am completely biased (and, for the record I imagine chelseafc05 is too) But from all the logic I can extract from my bias-ness Melbourne is the place to be. Voted most livable city. How can you argue with that?

Having said that, good luck in whatever decision you make..

Old 09-29-2006, 06:58 AM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

I just posted in the other thread go read it and listen to what Ihave to say cause my word is gold.....I know best!
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:07 AM   #7
Certified Wise

^^^^I second everything he said in the other thread. Except I don't think the weather is as bad as people make out

Old 09-29-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
Members

yeah what thewills said is gold... cept for the weather bit,it is not so bad leave it alone...

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
Old 09-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
celebrating jacks b-day!

I'll be there on thursday... I have to say though Brisbane kicks ass!

I'm in Buron Bay the mo. Sun is blazing and just been to a hippy (this place is full of them) fair. Great stuff!
BelfastFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to indierock05 Send a message via Yahoo to indierock05 Send a message via Skype™ to indierock05

So apparently Melbourne eh? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Well I am sure there will be more questions as I come down to my final plans! Thanks all!

"The whole object of travel is to not set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as foreign land" -G.K. Chesterton
Claudette
Go Gators!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:27 PM   #11
Members

deffently melbourne... also melbourne victory have wone 7 games straight, yet to lose aswell, another reason why to not go to sydney.......

MY NAME IS
Daniel
Old 10-09-2006, 10:36 PM   #12

But how cold is that place? I am used to 30+ for 10 months out of the year. I dont want to freeze my Florida ass off!

Claudette
Go Gators!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #13
Members

well right now its 30 degrees outside its still spring... it wont drop below zero prolly round 10ish degrees (our degrees not yours fareign height) durin the day winter maby at night drop below zero but thats why we where jumpers.. to be honest i dont really know coz it dosnt bother me i like all extremes of weather.. ya will get use to it

MY NAME IS
Daniel
Old 10-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #14

Damn warm blood got in my veins. Im from Michigan and moved to the sunshine state and now when it drops below 30 C / or like 80 F I am in a sweatshirt and long pants. It's still 90 F during the day and I dont even have my ac on. Looks like I will need to invest in sweatshirts.

As for you repeated suggestions on Melbourne, I heard people were rather stuck up there and I am curious if that is true. I'm just looking for a good place to chill and find a job...and meet an assload of people becuase if it is only my boyfriend and I, there....well I would be in jail soon after, I need my independence

Claudette
Go Gators!