Saipan/Guam - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Australia/NZ/S Pac.
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Australia/NZ/S Pac. Backpack´n Kangaroo jack´n down-under...What is Vegemite?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-21-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake
Default Saipan/Guam

Ok ok I know that technically they belong to the US but they are south pacific so that's where I am putting this.

Anyone ever been to either?
Old 03-22-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

^Haven't been but I do know that Guam is a popular vacation spot for people who live in Asia. Some people that work in my company's Taiwan office were going there and planned on going SCUBA diving. Not sure if this is remotely helpful but its the best I got.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
french touch

Well thanks Jake, I learned something today. I had never heard of them, and made a short search on the net to know more. Seems pretty nice over there, to say the least...

I've found this :

http://www.fabuloustravel.com/globe/...uamsaipan.html

http://www.cnmi-guide.com/

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

That's a really interesting read. Thanx Esther!!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Reason I ask is because I am chasing a job lead to work on one of the two. If things work out I will be taking a pay cut and my bills will be paid off that much slower but I am not sure that I can/should pass up the opportunity!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

I don't think you should!! Looks like a REALLY good place to live at!!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:56 PM   #7
To Smart For Mensa

But I also just got an email to setup a phone interview for that thing in Japan too....decisions decisions....
Old 03-23-2007, 06:29 AM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

^So what types of jobs are they? I say definately go for it. You will also be reasonably close to the rest of Asia for cheap travel opportunties. Sounds very cool, good luck!!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Old 03-23-2007, 11:35 AM   #9
To Smart For Mensa

it's a resort place kind of like club med. It's called pacific Islands Club and i would be a "clubmate" working all the recreation stuff.
the japan job would be teaching swimming and lifeguarding for navy brats

http://www.picresorts.com/en/default1.asp
Old 03-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

That sounds really great. Are you you going to seriously pursue one of those? The diving out that way is unbelievable. One of my top 10 things before I die is to dive Truk Lagoon which is in that general vicinity. It's the site of a massive WW II naval battle and the bottom of the lagoon is littered with Japanese warships, fighter planes, etc.

Anyway, I hope one of those options works out for you as I think either one would be a great opportunity. (plus you would meet lots of hot Asian girls )

Old 03-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #11
french touch

Sounds great Jake !

What is "that thing in Japan" ?

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #12
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

And if you got to Japan by May we could have the first Nippon Tpunk Meetup!

--Joey
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:44 AM   #13
Members

Thumbs up

I would say go work in Japan, what base is it at? If it yakuska or something like that, deff go. Its really close to Yokohama Tokyo, and Roppongi!!!!! Personally I would try to work at Yokota A.B (also very close). They are always hiring life gaurds, in fact one of my friends works there as the head life guard, Its really expensive to live, I would suggest looking for a roomate. Living by yourself is almost impossible, I did it for two years. Also you should check out AAFES jobs, they pay well, GS jobs on base are the best and I think they pay for your housing as well. I give you 3 months before your shacked up with a hottie japanese or philipino that you meet on bar row or roppongi, it never fails
Twoguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:24 AM   #14
Members

http://www.yokotaservices.org/hr.html

www.aafes.com

here are two sites you can look at for jobs in other countries like Japan and guam. Also Anderson A.B. is on guam and you could search for jobs on there site. Or you could just come over where Im at (Iraq) and I believe life guards and various other jobs start at around 90,000 a year, tax free up to 86,000$, you get a vacation every four months and they pay up to 900 for all your vacation plane tickets, food is really good and free. Your on really big bases and safe. Your rooms are pretty nice.. cable, internet and all that jazz. Im over here right now making 120,000 as a firefighter. Its not a bad gig at all. Plus you can leave whenever you want. Alot of people come over and leave after there second vacation after saving around 60,000 and debt free
www.kbr.com/careers/index
Twoguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #15
To Smart For Mensa

thanks for the info tg! Much appreciated!
Old 03-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #16
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

One of my best friends ever that I am deployed with is a Guam native and she's got me wanting to visit Guam. She said the people are so friendly, unlike you'd ever see in America, it's beautiful, and pretty chillax. She said the people are often well traveled in the Pacifica Island area so if you'd wanna travel, you could probably find people to go with or some good information.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #17
To Smart For Mensa

So i put in my application for the Iraq MWR jobs about a month ago and got a phone call within a week but now I haven't heard anything else since so I am thinking if something doesn't show up in the next few days from KBR then I am going to proceed with the Guam application and do that for a six month stint and then re-evaluate where I am at and whatnot. So that's the tenative plan. I will know more in a week or so after I decide that Guam is the place.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #18
TPunk Emeritus

Sounds pretty interesting Jake. Keep us posted!

Old 04-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #19
The " ... " queen of TP!

NICE jake....when you move to guam I'll have to visit.....frick I need to travel STAT.

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote