Myanmar - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Asia
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Asia Truly...a different world. Kazakhstan, Japan, and everything in between. Mekong River, Central Asia deserts, sticky rice, ancient traditions, temples, tuk-tuk...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-19-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
Immigrating? Easy? Right.

Send a message via AIM to indierock05 Send a message via Yahoo to indierock05 Send a message via Skype™ to indierock05
Default Myanmar

Pros/Cons...

Worth going and what to see?

"The whole object of travel is to not set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as foreign land" -G.K. Chesterton
"As long as we have memories of the ones we love, we will always be home" - me
Claudette
Go Gators!
indierock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
Rabidly Xenophilic

ScarlettDorian is there right now, hopefully she'll pop back by to give a review!

Old 09-19-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
Yoda

^ Actually, Diorama is in Myanmar. SD is here in Seattle with me.

I'd LOVE to go there some day. FYI land border crossings are apparently much more difficult than via air unless you're part of a tour group. I remember something about it being more difficult to gain access from the West (the North Eastern states of India) than from the East (Thailand, Laos, China).
Old 09-20-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
Rabidly Xenophilic

Crap, and I didn't event spell ScarlotteDorian right either

I saw this in the paper today, about Myanmar:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/20/wo...d-myanmar.html
Old 09-20-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Members

MYANMAR is basiclly like north Korea these days.. very expensive for visa's . you have to travel with 3 paid guides at all times. and they are basically government agents... the police are natoriously brutal . it is a shame it is a beautiful country. thailand is much cheaper and safer.
crazycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

I think it would be a good buzz to go to a place thats on lockdown like that and your only allowed to see what the government will let you see. An experience like that is nearly impossible to get in many other countrys and I think just trying to get your brain around that kind of mentality would be gnarly.....I wanna go there after south america!
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:37 AM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

Well I guess I'm the best person to answer since I'm in Myanmar right now! Can't type lots though since time is almost up.

First of of crazy cloud. Your information is pretty much wrong wrong wrong. The visa is really not that expensive. i got it in Bangkok in one day (express). I think it cost around $40. But you can get a cheaper two day service one. It's a 28 day visa. Space virgin is right. nearly impossible to cross the borders overland. So flying in from bangkok or chaing mai is the best option. And NO you don't need government agents!?

Life here is very simple. In fact you would never ever guess that all the drama is going on. I haven't felt unsafe at all. And trust me I am a very skittish person! I was supposed to be here for the weeks. But I am leaving five day early. It's on of those countrys that is very hard to get around and after 12 days you feel like you've seen all that you can see. But I would come here for Bagan and Inle Lake..

I wouldn't come all the way to asia just for myanmar but I would include it in my thailand trip. THe people freakin rock and trust me it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. As long as you support the local guesthouses and transport routes then the governement is getting very little of your moola. gotta jet . times up!

l
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:18 AM   #8
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

I just did a day trip into Tachilek, on the border with Thailand, so I can't offer too much advice. But it was a shocking difference from Thailand and the other SE Asian countries. Police and military everywhere, many restricted areas. But the people were awesome, so friendly, once you get away from the beggars.

The only open land borders are from Thailand, which sucks because I would have travelled through to India. But if you have time and you're willing to take some crappy bus rides, I would definitely do the trip by land. It'd be quite an experience. Flying's boring.

The visa's not too expensive, and there are ways around the government's travel services. Everyone I talked to that travelled around Myanmar loved it, so definitely go.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #9
Immigrating? Easy? Right.

Send a message via AIM to indierock05 Send a message via Yahoo to indierock05 Send a message via Skype™ to indierock05

Sweetness, thank you so much! Diorama, any suggestions on places to stay or do? I am thinking maybe a 4-5day tip

"The whole object of travel is to not set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as foreign land" -G.K. Chesterton
"As long as we have memories of the ones we love, we will always be home" - me
Claudette
Go Gators!
indierock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #10
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

Travelling will take a long time, so with only 4-5 days I'd focus on one city, although I can't really give much advice for Myanmar. I've seen too much in too little time on every trip and I always regret it.

A friend of mine has some pictures of his trips to Myanmar at http://www.manonthestreet.com/photo/index.php It might help you figure out where to go.

He'll be posting pictures soon from Sikkim, Nepal, Varanasi, Agra, and Delhi if anyone's interested. I travelled with him a bit on this last trip.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:59 PM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

I would recommend Bagan, Mandalay and then you can do the Kalaw to Inle Lake trek . it's three days , two nights. It's great except watch out because in the rainy season it's so muddy! Keep in mind that travelling around the country is so friggin hard. long ass uncomfortable bus rides. i did a 15 hour one from yangon to mandalay. but flying is fairly cheap. I flew Air bagan and I found the crew and plane to be really great! I will be updating my website in a few days so i'll let you know when i have!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:21 PM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

are you in myanmar now? if you are, how is the political situation affecting your stay there?

do take care.....
Old 09-30-2007, 09:47 AM   #13
TPunk Emeritus

I've got to echo everything Dio said. Although I only spent 5 days in Myanmar, it was worth it. Bagan is simply an amazing place...one of those "world spots" like Angkor Wat in Cambodia...

Check out my photos from their on my web page (link in signature)...
worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote