Age - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > World Festivals, Events, Night Clubbing
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

World Festivals, Events, Night Clubbing The Running of the Bulls, Dance, World Night Clubs, Air Guitar Championships, The Love Parade, The Olympics, Guy Faulks, St. Pattys, Oktoberfest, Carnaval, Indy 500, ...Party on!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-25-2005, 06:21 PM   #21
TPunk Recognized

ahhh Canada, where I had my first legal drink in a bar at a whiopping 19 years of age...the memories....and i'm still worried about hitting on a 17 y/o in a club in europe now by the way...and hey, great beer in canada
Old 01-25-2005, 08:12 PM   #22
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Tadpole

Good points Voyd
Old 11-20-2005, 10:45 PM   #23
Members

we have plenty more space to be driving in in canada compared to the states, but didnt the states drinking age use to be 18? i think i remember reading something about that, MADD lobbied like hell to get it to 21 orkeep it there or something like that
nedarb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:12 AM   #24
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

I think that since people tell younger ones to not drink, it makes drinking all the more appealing. It's the nature of not just teenagers, but humans. When someone tells you to not look at something, what do you want to do? Look. That's why I think if the drinking age was decreased, there'd be a surge of <21 year olds rushing to buy alcohol, but then it'd die down. It'd be a "who cares?" type of thing...

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:52 AM   #25
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

^ or if drinking companies didn't target younger audiences

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:35 AM   #26
Sandwich Magician

Send a message via Yahoo to PlayPal Send a message via Skype™ to PlayPal

Honestly, what the hell kind of sense does it make that at 18 you have all the rights and responsibilities of an adult EXCEPT the ability to drink alcohol legally?

Judge: ''I'm sorry son, you are now 18 and as an adult I am sentancing you to death by electric chair.''

Pseudo Adult: ''Can I have a last beer?''

Judge: ''Are you kidding? You're much too young to understand the responsibilities and possible consequences of drinking alcohol!''

Recruiting Officer: ''Join the army! See the world!! Now that you're 18, you don't have to get your parents' permission. You're an adult!''

Pseudo Adult: ''But isn't it dangerous?''

Recruiting Officer: ''Well it can be, but that is something you must take into account when making the decision to join. As an adult, you are now responsible enough to make that type of decision.''

Pseudo Adult: ''Ok, can I do it tomorrow? I have to go to court to appeal my MIP I got last week....''

GOOOOD BLESSS AMEERRRRICA!!!!!

Old 07-09-2006, 09:48 PM   #27

Send a message via MSN to Echeverry Send a message via Yahoo to Echeverry Send a message via Skype™ to Echeverry

Well I started buying liqour at the age of 14, I've been used to drink wine on dinners since I can remember, my godfather (woo hooo for the athiest me) has a rest./bar in Queens NY and I used to go there as a kid and I remember on one December party (I should've been 4 or so cause I hadn't gone to Colombia for long) I was drop drinking they had Aguardiente and wierd drinks, my Bio-father found me and bought me a toy shaving set (wierd memories I know). Yeah I know that in England it's a bitch from time to time I was there when I was 18 when I just came out in the scene, my case is diff then the rest of you cause I work in clubs but I never had and issue nor did I get card'd when club hoping. I know that in Spain and South America the age thing is bullshit, I say that with a few bucks you can get out or in anything you want. hehe, I can tell you this about some countrues in South America: you can drink a six pack infront of the police station with a friend at the age of 14 with the school uniform and no one is gonna say anything. Here instead I'm 19 and they have a gay ass state law which says you can't buy liqour on sunday any sunday! how stupid is this! I had to open my Chivas reserve! Oh yeah and I find it stupid that you get to die for a country but the country won't allow you to enjoy your life. It should be the other way around! 18 to drink, smoke party, blah blah blah & 21 to get killed serving the megalomaniacal oil pigs that run this country by the hand of the military.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:22 AM   #28
TPunk Emeritus

In Argentina (specially in Buenos Aires) nightclub restrictions to people under 18 have started to aply. This is because this huge fire there was at a nightclub three dasy before New Years 2005. 196 people died.. so now the law is being enforced a lot more. I get carded all the time... at some you may find a way to get in... but not in the nicest clubs anyway.
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:44 PM   #29
Members

Send a message via AIM to thatgirlwholaughs

Quote:
Originally posted by PlayPal@Nov 23 2005, 11:35 AM
Honestly, what the hell kind of sense does it make that at 18 you have all the rights and responsibilities of an adult EXCEPT the ability to drink alcohol legally?
[snapback]89371[/snapback]
can't rent a car until 25... so i suppose technically we're not really "responsible" adults until then. hehe. irresponsibilty it is then!
thatgirlwholaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #30

Send a message via MSN to Echeverry Send a message via Yahoo to Echeverry Send a message via Skype™ to Echeverry
Angry

even stokes, now in NJ the smoking starts at 19. i really do belive if it wasn't for NY & FL I wouldn't be coming back to my own country. :greenguy:
Old 07-11-2006, 11:54 AM   #31
TPunk Moderator

I have this theory of how to not get carded. You need a "prop," a kid or someone a lot older. If you have the kid they will probably assume you are over 21 cause you have a kid. If you go thru the line absorbed in conversation with the older person the cashier might be confused about who's actually paying. You have to go when its busy, especially if the store has a "no noticable wait" policy. Those type of stores are under pressure to take everyone ASAP. Go alone, and dress and be serious about it and of course, don't only buy beer.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #32
Members

Send a message via AIM to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via MSN to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via Yahoo to DJ_VeeeNoM

((( by ))) :greenguy:

Think about it, if you are going with someone already that old just give them the money and no biggie.

As in my case I simply let my beard grow and I can drink anywhere anytime, oh yeah!
Old 09-17-2006, 08:54 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to glitterhairdye

I went over the summer at 17 and I didn't have a problem, well, in Germany they wouldn't let me buy liquor but it wasn't that big of a deal, I just asked someone else to do it. Everywhere else didn't even ask and when I go over winter break I'll still be 17. I'm not worried about it. Just be acreful about gross old guys, I got hit on by some oldies (28+...)
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325
glitterhairdye is offline   Reply With Quote