St Patrick's Day - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!



Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > World Festivals, Events, Night Clubbing

World Festivals, Events, Night Clubbing The Running of the Bulls, Dance, World Night Clubs, Air Guitar Championships, The Love Parade, The Olympics, Guy Faulks, St. Pattys, Oktoberfest, Carnaval, Indy 500, ...Party on!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2005, 11:04 PM   #1
***** gear guru
 
kingcrazylegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,328
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs
Thumbs up

So who has celebrated St. Patty's in Ireland? Where is the best place to celebrate? Dublin, Cork, Galway, other???
__________________

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:26 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leigh On Sea, Essex
Posts: 3,337
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My friend Cat is from Kilkenny she prefers spending it in liverpool rather than Ireland, aparently its not such a big thing in Ireland as what you guys in the states make it!

I have been trying to persuade her to take us to ireland for paddy's day...just so i can find my future husband Mr O'Riley...Briley O'Riley
__________________
I have two skins, one to lie on and one to cover myself with; the earth and the sky. (Masai proverb)


FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE



what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:18 AM   #3
***** gear guru
 
kingcrazylegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,328
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by beergal1@Dec 27 2005, 03:26 AM
My friend Cat* is from Kilkenny she prefers spending it in liverpool rather than Ireland, aparently its not such a big thing in Ireland as what you guys in the states make it!

I have been trying to persuade her to take us to ireland for paddy's day...just so i can find my future husband Mr O'Riley...Briley O'Riley
[snapback]94989[/snapback]
Briley O'Riley huh!

Yea, I too have heard that the Irish don't celebrate St Patty's as crazy as in the US, but I'm cool with that. It would still be cool to spend the holiday in Ireland - I am thinking Dublin....?
__________________

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
TPunk Emeritus
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leigh On Sea, Essex
Posts: 3,337
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I just hope your not disappointed...if your coming in 2006 you should come to Liverpool and spend it where 3/4 of the irish immigrants will be my student union lol! I had a blast last year
__________________
I have two skins, one to lie on and one to cover myself with; the earth and the sky. (Masai proverb)


FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE



what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Indefinite.
Posts: 2,874
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to bluepea
Default

If you're set on Ireland I'd vote for either Dublin or Galway (large population of youngins). Where's MeTurk when you need him?
__________________
~~ Jamie ~~
You give me the most gorgeous sleep That I've ever had And when it's really bad I guess it's not that bad




Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:35 PM   #6
***** gear guru
 
kingcrazylegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,328
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by beergal1@Dec 27 2005, 12:36 PM
I just hope your not disappointed...if your coming in 2006 you should come to Liverpool and spend it where 3/4 of the irish immigrants will be my student union lol! I had a blast last year
[snapback]95019[/snapback]
Well, we are looking at being in both England and Ireland that time of year, so it just seems that that would be the time to go to Ireland...am I wrong here?
__________________

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:43 AM   #7
Members
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

dublin is a good place to be. there's a big parade, and a weeks worth of paddys day events. they recently started making it a big thing.. i was there in 2005, it was fairly large.. fireworks and stuff it was cool...

pubs are mad packed, good luck getting in one or if u get in, good luck makin it to the bar/toilets.. i just got cans at the off licence n drank in the street with thousands of others, just hide it behind ur back when the police come round, and try not to get into any fights, and they wont take it off u..

it was really fun, loads of people, lots and lots of tourists but a fair few irish as well, good craic all round!
Mandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:11 AM   #8
***** gear guru
 
kingcrazylegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,328
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Mandie@Dec 28 2005, 03:43 AM
dublin is a good place to be. there's a big parade, and a weeks worth of paddys day events. they recently started making it a big thing.. i was there in 2005, it was fairly large.. fireworks and stuff it was cool...

pubs are mad packed, good luck getting in one or if u get in, good luck makin it to the bar/toilets.. i just got cans at the off licence n drank in the street with thousands of others, just hide it behind ur back when the police come round, and try not to get into any fights, and they wont take it off u..

it was really fun, loads of people, lots and lots of tourists but a fair few irish as well, good craic all round!
[snapback]95118[/snapback]
Wow, sounds fun....but also a bit hectic. I am not really sure what would be best at this point. Maybe a smaller town, I don't know...?
__________________

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:39 AM   #9
TPunk Recognized
 
MeTurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,590
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk
Default

Paddys day traditionaly, in Ireland has been just another reason to go on the piss. Most small towns go as far as selling shamrock and green hats. That's it. Dublin has been making an effort lately I haven't gone up because I'm biased, I hate Dublin and it's going to be awful expensive, those Dubs know how to milk money out of people.

Citys will be packed smaller towns may just be drinking seasions. Waterford or westport may be good choices. I'm trying to think of small touristy places with lot's of tradition. Donegal or letterkenny could be good there supposed to be good places to go out in anyway.

I don't think you can go far wrong with Galway, I still rate it as one of the best citys for a bit of craic, we're well used to trowing partys.
__________________
"It's nice to have a nun around. Gives the place a bit of glamour." Fr Ted
Couchsurfer (:_irritainment_
MeTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:07 AM   #10
***** gear guru
 
kingcrazylegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,328
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by MeTurk@Jan 4 2006, 04:39 AM
Paddys day traditionaly, in Ireland has been just another reason to go on the piss. Most small towns go as far as selling shamrock and green hats. That's it. Dublin has been making an effort lately I haven't gone up because I'm biased, I hate Dublin and it's going to be awful expensive, those Dubs know how to milk money out of people.

Citys will be packed smaller towns may just be drinking seasions. Waterford or westport may be good choices. I'm trying to think of small touristy places with lot's of tradition. Donegal or letterkenny could be good there supposed to be good places to go out in anyway.

I don't think you can go far wrong with Galway, I still rate it as one of the best citys for a bit of craic, we're well used to trowing partys.
[snapback]96410[/snapback]
Thanks dude - I certainly think we'll stick to a small town
__________________

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #11
Members
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: school in CT..but home will always be JERSEY
Posts: 470
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to nemesis331
Default

yea i heard that its a mostly religous day in Ireland! i know that we have a good time when we go to NYC though!
__________________
--Bates-- </span>
nemesis331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:40 PM   #12
***** gear guru
 
kingcrazylegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,328
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs
Default

So, we decided to fly into Shannon and spend St. Pattys in Killarney. We are interested in the area and will simply celebrate at a local pub. Hopefully we can also meet up with some of the Irish Tpunks to celebrate with!
__________________

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:28 AM   #13
Members
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to goggles Send a message via MSN to goggles Send a message via Yahoo to goggles
Default

I was in dublin last year for st patty's day. it was fun but my friend and i wished we were in Galway. Galway is off the hook with bars and partying, we spent 3 days there and wished we stayed longer.
dublin was fun, after the parade my friend and i walked to the guiness factory and took the tour and then of course went up to the sky bar and drank guiness for a bit.
it was hard getting into bars in dublin because we had our day packs with us and the bouncer wouldn't let us is because of it. so we just bought cans and drank in the streets.
i am going to be in europe again for st patty's day and i was thinking of flyng over to Galway. it all depends on where i am going to be. most likely be in germany by then so i might just stay there and drink beer. haha
goggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:08 PM   #14
***** gear guru
 
kingcrazylegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,328
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by goggles@Jan 17 2006, 02:28 AM
most likely be in germany by then so i might just stay there and drink beer.* haha
[snapback]98920[/snapback]
Beer anywhere on St. Patty's is still good
__________________

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #15
Members
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by kingcrazylegs@Jan 17 2006, 05:08 PM
Beer anywhere on St. Patty's is still good *
[snapback]98962[/snapback]
Hello,
im in Reykjavik now, but am planning on Ireland for a couple months. It sounds like Galway is a good time. I visited there in'97 and have to go back. Do you know anything about the Tpunk meeting? Where, when?
nearly bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #16
***** gear guru
 
kingcrazylegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,328
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by nearly bound@Feb 6 2006, 03:22 PM
Hello,
im in Reykjavik now, but am planning on Ireland for a couple months. It sounds like Galway is a good time.* I visited there in'97 and have to go back. Do you know anything about the Tpunk meeting? Where, when?
[snapback]101501[/snapback]
we are meeting up in Killarney
__________________

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply






Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
St. Patrick's Day! TeaForTyler Europe: Western 1 03-15-2006 07:36 AM
St. Patrick's Day! TeaForTyler Europe: Western 0 03-15-2006 04:25 AM
HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAYS!! juliagulia General Discussions 33 03-23-2005 06:49 AM
St. Patrick's Day!! Finlandia Companions Wanted 3 03-07-2005 05:55 AM
HAPPY ST PATRICK'S DAY!! MolsonGirl Introductions and Announcements 5 03-18-2004 01:42 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:47 AM.



 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121