Running of the Bulls (San Fermines) 2005 - Page 3 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > World Festivals, Events, Night Clubbing

World Festivals, Events, Night Clubbing The Running of the Bulls, Dance, World Night Clubs, Air Guitar Championships, The Love Parade, The Olympics, Guy Faulks, St. Pattys, Oktoberfest, Carnaval, Indy 500, ...Party on!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2005, 12:02 PM   #41
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

A friend and I are going also. We will definetly be sleeping in the parks and doorways. Maybe we could all meet up and run on the same day. We should be there from the 7th to the 9th. I also want to check out some of the bars Hemingway liked.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:24 PM   #42
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by dudeman@Apr 23 2005, 02:01 PM
A friend and I are going also.* We will definetly be sleeping in the parks and doorways.* Maybe we could all meet up and run on the same day.* We should be there from the 7th to the 9th.* I also want to check out some of the bars Hemingway liked.*
which bars did hemingway frequent?

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:30 PM   #43
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

there is this one and a few others I have to look up in one of his bios. "Cafe-Bar Iruna, which was Hemingway’s favourite haunt." Also there is a statue of Hemingway. " A huge bust of the author stands near the entrance to the Pamplona bullring on Paseo Hemingway. It is the only statue at Pamplona’s bullring."
Old 04-23-2005, 07:40 PM   #44
Members

Send a message via AIM to Layla

ok I'm jealous, I want to go now!!! I don't think I could get anyone to tag along with me, would it be dangerous to go to this on my own? ? (i'm a 19 yr old female) I am very tempted to join in on the fun.

Layla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:24 PM   #45
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Tadpole

Definalty go. Check out the tpunk's who are going. OFFICIAL TPUNK MEET UP

Make sure you sign up so we can get a head count of who will be there when a time and place is decided.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:02 PM   #46
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by Layla@Apr 23 2005, 09:39 PM
ok I'm jealous, I want to go now!!! I don't think I could get anyone to tag along with me, would it be dangerous to go to this on my own? ? (i'm a 19 yr old female) I am very tempted to join in on the fun.
aw, im going solo & im a 17 yr old female.....now talk about stupid . u should come & we could stick together! Beat off the bulls.... (and welcome some other kinds of em' )

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
Old 04-24-2005, 07:46 PM   #47
Members

Where are you staying?? a hostel?? ok i'm seriously considering this now...

Old 04-24-2005, 07:46 PM   #48
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Quote:
and welcome some other kinds of em'
Old 04-24-2005, 07:51 PM   #49
TPunk Recognized

Hostels will cost you an arm and a leg is you manage to find one even now. Alot of people sleep in the park or where ever.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:55 PM   #50
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by Layla@Apr 24 2005, 09:45 PM
Where are you staying?? a hostel?? ok i'm seriously considering this now...
Good! It'll be an experience of a lifetime! I hadnt really planned on staying in a hostel......they're going to be pretty booked & hard to come by (prolly even now). I was just planning on doing what James suggested & getting a group of ppl together (I'm counting on u guys here fellow punkers ) & sleeping in some doorway (but i'll stick my stuff in a locker somewhere b/c i dont want to get my pack slashed)

-James Dean

Old 04-25-2005, 12:43 AM   #51
TPunk Emeritus

i'm in the same boat as you SA, i'm relying on tpunkers - safety in numbers

You should definately do it Layla, it will be an awsome experience. Not only will you get to run with some pissed off bulls (remind me why this is a good thing again??), but you will also get to meet and hang out with a heap of people from these boards.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:20 PM   #52
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to TERI

I'm gonna be there for sure. But.... all of a sudden running sounds pretty, freakin scary!!! I'm hyper and all, but I can't outrun a crazy mob of people. I have a small case of asthma. and am not in marathon shape. Is running with the bulls really that dangerous? What's my percentage of getting gorged by the bulls? or trampled on to death by crazy people?

I trust you guys.

Also, where can we leave our packs? I don't want to have to take it everywhere i go. I will if I have to, but hoping that's not the case.

urple\'> "Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree, feel the rush of the ocean."
"...Get aboard a fast train, travel on a damn plane."
" Take a Risk, Take a chance, Make a change!"--- Break away. Kelly Clarkson (lol)
TERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:18 PM   #53
Members

Have you guys already gotten your tickets and everything? are you going other places too? I'm thinking I might make a trip out of this and see a few more places... I hope i can make it/afford it!!!

Old 04-25-2005, 08:32 PM   #54
TPunk Recognized

There is a place to store your packs.

Medics do stand by for injured people. But poeple do die. I think the last person was around 1997 and the one before that was around 1991. One was a local who did it every year for the past 40 something years. The other was an American 21 year old tourist.

The run isn't marathon distance. It only lasts a couple of minutes. No one ever out runs the bulls, mostly because its hard for people to run at full speed ith everyone in front of you. So when the bulls come you just have to try and get out of the way or run with them.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:55 PM   #55
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
What's my percentage of getting gorged by the bulls?* or trampled on to death by crazy people?*
If only 2 people have died from it in the last 14 years i'd say your chances of being gorged are pretty damn slim indeed.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:01 AM   #56
Members

TERI there are some clips of the run you can look at. go to www.whatsonwhen.com
click on video at the top right, then click on pamplona on the right. you can also go to lonelyplanet and download a video from there. anyhow, the scariest part from what i can tell is the drunk guys, not the bulls. also, theres this slippery turn at some point of the race, stay on the inside.
travelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:32 PM   #57
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
If only 2 people have died from it in the last 14 years i'd say your chances of being gorged are pretty damn slim indeed.
Well the chances of getting gorged is unknown to me but getting gorged and dieing is slim.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:29 PM   #58
The " ... " queen of TP!

I dont know if im making it any better or worse by putting real numbers in here (prob worse haha), but a total of 13 ppl have died from the running throughout all the years that they've done it.....which is actually a fairly sm number considering the thousands who do it each year and all the years that theyve done it.....

-James Dean

Old 04-26-2005, 02:32 PM   #59
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by Layla@Apr 25 2005, 09:17 PM
Have you guys already gotten your tickets and everything? are you going other places too? I'm thinking I might make a trip out of this and see a few more places... I hope i can make it/afford it!!!*
well i dunno bout everyboudy else, but for me, this is just 1 stop on my trip, and since im taking eurail i dont actually hv my train tickets there booked yet, but yeah, you should def make a trip of it! I hear spain is amazing....

-James Dean

Old 04-27-2005, 06:14 AM   #60
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
and since im taking eurail i dont actually hv my train tickets there booked yet,
Be careful around this time as everyone is travelling to Pamplona and most of the long distance trains (connections to/from Madrid and Barcelona) get booked out. I guess you can book in advance or make alternative arrangements (bus)

It's not so bad coming from the french border - I travelled from Biarritz to San Sebastion by local trains and then by bus from SS to Pamplona. If you can get to SS you're set as there are frequent buses to and from Pamplona.

Any further specific questions - just ask!

ev