Running of the Bulls (San Fermines) 2005 - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > World Festivals, Events, Night Clubbing

World Festivals, Events, Night Clubbing The Running of the Bulls, Dance, World Night Clubs, Air Guitar Championships, The Love Parade, The Olympics, Guy Faulks, St. Pattys, Oktoberfest, Carnaval, Indy 500, ...Party on!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2005, 04:32 PM   #21
TPunk Recognized

well....i was contemplating going to taiwan to teach english, but this whole china thing has me a little sceptical, so i am now looking at trashing my cross country US trip (mainly because it was underfunde and my friend keeps making it more expensive) and i apllied at a school in madrid to take a tefl class. if i get in and decide to go for it i will be working in spain for a lil bit (dodging the law as i will not have a work visa, which is common thing for esl in spain ) so heck, i may be there for 2006! but i will know more in a week or so.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:29 AM   #22
Members

so everyone seems to be wearing all white and red sashes, but where the hell do you procure these articles?

i can't wait to be gored. i already had my epitaph proofread and everything.

"Here lies Matt, gored while running drunkenly from mature and malevolent bulls in the mystic cultural streets of Pamplona, Spain."

anyway, the sashes and outfits...WHERE?
-M.
Matt Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:51 AM   #23
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Ok i am nervous about running with the bulls. I cannot go to the festival without running though, that would be a regret. Can anyone that has actually ran give a play by play or something? If you get tired is there anywhere to hide lol. I read they block off the side streets so that means you have to run the whole length all the way to the stadium. I am not in shape at all. Ive also read that the drunken men are more dangerous than the bulls. I guess i already read everything i need to know but havent heard it from someone who ran.
I did it! It's absolutely f*ckin nuts!

If you go to this link and click on 'running of the bulls' you will find a very good explanation of the do's and don'ts. Also on that page click on 'details' to get a map and more specifics.

Now for my tips

-Walk the course the previous day or early before the run so you know where to run
-Most people start at Ayuntamiento square and beyond. You can start anywhere on the track BUT as so many people run the cops clear people off the track who start too far down it (you will not be able to run and will be extremely disappointed!) Only really the pros start at the beginning and run up the hill to Ayuntamiento square. Stick to the inside of the track (right) on the turn into Estafeta as the bulls slam themselves to the left of that turn.
-When running down the main stretch stick mainly to the sides as the bulls run down the middle. BUT watch out going there as pile ups of people can occur who are hanging out in the doorways.

My number one tip is-
Run with your arms in front of you ready to push into the people in front of you to prevent yourself from falling. This is because people behind you will be forcing at you and you will fall otherwise.

Remember it is every man for himself. People will push, pull and hit into you. People will fall in front of you and you can do nothing but step on them. It's just how it is.

ev
Old 03-30-2005, 12:33 PM   #24
Members

well, ill make up my mind when im there. ive been offered a balcony spot, 50 euros for it. so its either i run or just take the spot and watch the whole thing go by.
travelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:45 PM   #25
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Tadpole

My borther will be there for sure. We will problby arrive in Spain around the 2nd. Then we will catch the running of the bulls around the 7-10.

We will proably sleep on the ground in the park or where ever.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:45 PM   #26
TPunk Recognized

My brother and I will be there
Old 03-30-2005, 02:43 PM   #27
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tadpole@Mar 30 2005, 03:44 PM
My brother and I will be there
wll you?

will you?

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:44 PM   #28
The " ... " queen of TP!

^ this is probably one of the jokes that only i will get, but what the hell.....

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
Old 03-30-2005, 03:13 PM   #29
TPunk Recognized

Me, Myself and I
Old 03-30-2005, 03:21 PM   #30
The " ... " queen of TP!

lol...yeah.......you DEFINITELY did not get the joke........as anticipated..............i was making fun of the fact that u repeated yourself. like you had to confirm that u & your brother would be going....not the way u said it. (and that u somehow thought no one would understand it was ure brother & u going from one tiny typo)

-James Dean

Old 03-30-2005, 03:25 PM   #31
TPunk Recognized

lol sorry for being redundent, lol sorry for repeating myself
Old 03-30-2005, 03:43 PM   #32
TPunk Recognized

sarcasim intended ^
Old 03-31-2005, 01:40 PM   #33
Members

im coming from barcelona and a train to pamplona would cost $55,the ride would be around 6 hours and 30 minutes. i heard of people taking the bus from barcelona to pamplona. that seems a bit cheaper and supposedly would take around 6 hours to get there. this doesnt make sense to me. anyone here made it to pamplona from barcelona know about this?
travelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:04 PM   #34
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tadpole@Mar 30 2005, 05:42 PM
sarcasim intended ^
haha sarcasm duly noted........although that one was kind of obvious...........

-James Dean

Old 03-31-2005, 04:25 PM   #35
TPunk Recognized

lol you do have a unique sense of humor
Old 04-04-2005, 11:20 PM   #36
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Here's the running of the bulls thread!! i knew there had to be one around here somewhere. Me and a mate will be there for sure, and we will definately be running, can't go all the way to Spain and not run with the bulls!! Do u have to book in or pay to run with them? I guess we'll be sleeping in the park too because we only just decided that we were going. We should get every tpunk that's going to be there to meet up, i don't know any land mark places that would be good for a meet up, maybe someone else can suggest one. What dates will everyone be there?? I'll be there at the latest on the 10th to the 14th, but i may get there on the 7th.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:34 AM   #37
The " ... " queen of TP!

oh im sleeping on the streets w/ u man....its part of the fun! (haha i just thought of that in a not-so nice way......maybe i should retype it.....) ......anyways, I'll be there prob b/w 8th-11th. We should def. meet up while there!

-James Dean

Old 04-05-2005, 01:37 PM   #38
TPunk Recognized

Sounds like we have alot of peopel going this year. Im going to start thread with a Running of the Bulls (San Fermines) sign up. So everyone can know who's going, where they plan to stay, and what days they plan on being there.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:53 AM   #39
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Do u have to book in or pay to run with them?
No - it is a free for all. Just hang out with the rest of the crowd in the street at around 7am and stay within the route while they construct the fences around you.

ev
Old 04-06-2005, 10:16 AM   #40
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

I took the train from Pamplona to Barcelona and I cannot remember exactly how long it took, but it was probably in the neighborhood of 6 hours.

Anyway, I was anal and wrote down everything I spent money on last summer, so I just checked my travel journal and that train ticket cost 28 euros, which as of today is almost $36. So maybe it would be a bit more this summer if prices went up but it shouldn't be $55.

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote