Favourite Hostel in the Dam - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Budget Hostels, Hotels, and Accommodations > Hostel Reviews > Recommended Hostels > Western Europe Hostels Recommeded
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-31-2007, 07:43 AM   #21
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

It specifically said no stag or large groups! They'd wreak my head big time.

I'm just after realising I've had it confused with the grasshopper coffee shop and it's not where I thought it was at all, I'm finding it hard to tell just where it is. According to the map on hostelworld it's down near amstel train station, but when I put the address into Google earth there's one near Dam square and another near Vondel park. By the text directions and street name I'm in the one near Dam square.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #22
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to noke_travel

no worries marc

"I showed them...I'm still alive." Homer Simpson
noke_travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:13 AM   #23
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Me and some friends stayed at St. Christophers and that place blew. They booked us for a room for six and it ended up being a ten person room, plus almost everybody got something stolen there.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:56 AM   #24
TPunk Recognized

Never said about the Bulldog, Amsterdam's only 5 star hostel! :D

It's very nice and does have a hotel feel to the lobby and bar, I thought I was in the wrong place when I walked in first. The rooms are faultless and on suite the showers are the best I've seen anywhere.

It has a bar in the hostel and a bulldog coffieshop next door so you can have the best of both worlds and don't need to worry to much about the new law that prevents alcohol and weed being sold in the same place. Although the weed they sell is shit, go else where. The shrooms are good and fresh though. The bar is wildly expensive as is the food they serve they have a good pool table and Internet access (not free).

The staff are all Locals from what I could tell and seemed to flip flop between friendly and rude but I think that's the locals for you. The bar and lobby wasn't open 24 hours either (you can come and go as you please but can't use the bar area) and they will run you while they sit and chat.

I got a look at one of the apartments too, their really cool and look a bit clockwork orange. Two rooms and a foldout in the sitting/kitchen.

It's a very comfortable hostel, which probably just about makes it worth the €25 seeing as the flying pig is around the same price and no where near the standard. It's just off dam square and your on a canal so it's location is perfect.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:31 AM   #25
Members

I'm going to amsterdam in may and was looking at hostels. Wow, this is awful. There are a few good places (bulldog), but 47 dollars to stay in a 12 bed dorm? What a ripoff.
Rathma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to glitterhairdye

Uptown was a lot of fun. I met some awesome people there. Actually, I had just gotten to A'dam, lying on the bed and these 3 girls came in and we went out and went on an awesome bar crawl. And the Beach Hostel I loooooooved. One of my all time favorite hostels and I ended up staying an extra week there. I wish I could have stayed.
But yea, I recommend both of those. And pretty much every where in Amsterdam in the summer is ridiculously expensive.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325
glitterhairdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #27
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathma View Post
I'm going to amsterdam in may and was looking at hostels. Wow, this is awful. There are a few good places (bulldog), but 47 dollars to stay in a 12 bed dorm? What a ripoff.
Welcome to the Dam. You could always save some money and stay in Haarlem, or get out that area totally and head to Utrecht. Did you look at the flying pig beach. If you don't mind camping, it will be cheaper.
And for the 47. If you are going to spend that much, stay at the Hortus Pension. Its a fucking blast.... And safe.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:22 AM   #28
TPunk Recognized

There's camp Zeeburg just outside Amsterdam if your into your camping, it's under a tenner last time I was there. It's about 10-15 minutes using trams.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 AM   #29
Members

I'm only staying for 2 nights max. so i'm not that worried about getting the cheapest place, but for ~50 dollars i'd want something decent.

I can't find any rates for Hortus Pension online and you can't book it anywhere either.
Rathma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #30
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Heres the link to there main site. You can make reservations there. It is a smoke friendly hotel (anything). They serve breakfast, and is just fucking chill and laid back. And the owner and guys that run it are very cool. You could also PM Myretrocareer and get his opinion as well. He's stayed there several times too. The rooms aren't fantastic. But the atmosphere and price makes up for it. Free internet too..... Let me know if you have anymore questions. I can give you tram #'s to there etc....
Cheers,
Marc
http://www.hotelhortus.com/
Old 01-31-2008, 06:26 PM   #31
Certified Wise

I wouldn't recommend booking too many nights at the Flying Pig Beach. It got pretty boring down there. The atmosphere isn't great, a lot of annoying, deadbeat locals sit around getting stoned and the staff weren't very friendly. That was just my experience though.

As for the Hotel Hortus there aren't any toilets in the room so Marc went in the sink instead. Use with caution.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:13 AM   #32
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulduke View Post
I wouldn't recommend booking too many nights at the Flying Pig Beach. It got pretty boring down there. The atmosphere isn't great, a lot of annoying, deadbeat locals sit around getting stoned and the staff weren't very friendly. That was just my experience though.
Pretty much mine too, not to impressed.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #33
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulduke View Post
As for the Hotel Hortus there aren't any toilets in the room so Marc went in the sink instead. Use with caution.
You are cracking me the fuck up!!! We did have a shower in the room, but Roxy always beat me to take a piss in it. Pissing everywhere... Ahh the memories