Funnyfarm, Interlaken, Switzerland
The Funnyfarm is located within walking distance of either of the two train stations. It is about a 15 min walk. There is also a bus that runs between the three. They do give you a bus pass upon checkin.
This hostel offers three buildings for accommodation.
-The Hotel for junior suites to four and three star rooms. - I heard these were reallly nice but pricey for a budget traveller. When i was there this summer, the rap group Naughty by Nature was staying in these. (They were extremely cool to have a beer with by the way!)
-The Castle for two to ten bed rooms with ensuite bathroom facilities. I stayed in the Castle and my room was great. Ensuite bathroom which was extremely clean and comfortable beds and pillows. I stayed in a four bed room which was 1 bunkbed and two singles. This room also had an amazing view of the alps. It was not hard to get out of bed in the morning here.
-The Funny Farm Classic barn style accommodation. These were very cheap but dirty and loud. The shared bathrooms were large and clean with plenty of hot water, but the rooms left something to be desired. Scratch that, they were shit.
The hostel has a bar in the main reception, couches and a pool table. This is the castle and reminds me more of a hotel than a hostel. Reception were nice and provided everything i needed. Funnyfarm is associated with Alpine Raft so you can book everything you need right in the hostel. They also have their main office less than 10 min walk away. Outside there is plenty room to read in the yard or nap in the sun. There is also a pool and tiki bar which have very good happy hour prices. There are bonfires at night and cool areas all around to hang out and meet people. Food is big portions and not that expensive, especially for Switzerland. A burger from the grill was great. There are two COOPS nearby but close early if you want to buy your own food, but no kitchen facilities. They also have the biggest saint bernard i have ever seen, his name is Spliff. You can always take a nap on him.
- People who want to party but also want a quiet place to sleep. Balmers is the MUCH more lively hostel in town. It is also about a 5 min walk from Funnyfarm. We hung out at Balmers for late nights.
- People who want a pretty chill atmosphere with a great courtyard and pool.
NOT Recommended for...
- People who want to party like rockstars. Try Balmers instead.
- People on an extreme budget. The barn rooms are really cheap for a reason. I am not rich by any means but these rooms were bad. Stay in the Castle if you can.
- Some did voice concerns about security. Room keys can be a problem. Unless you have a group that books the whole room, it is generally left unlocked. Nothing happened while i was there but lockers would be a nice addition.
Overall i had a blast at this place. We went canyoning for two days and mountain biking the third. This is a great place to come home to relax. Grab a beer here or walk to Balmers if you want to get blasted. I recommend Interlaken in general, it's touristy yes, but beautiful and fun. Extreme sports couldn't be in a better setting. Canyon full day with Outdoor Interlaken or Alpine Raft, you need to be athletic and in shape, but it's totally worth it.