Washington DC - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > U.S.A.

U.S.A. Hollywood, NYC, baseball, The Grand Canyon, East coast vs West coast, Starbucks, The Dallas Cowboys Chearleaders, and more...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs
Thumbs up

Has anyone been to Washington DC for the 4th of July? I am not extremly patriotic or anything, but there is a very good chance Beth and I will be in that area at that time and though it might be cool to check things out...

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Anybody?

Old 02-14-2005, 03:58 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

I've been to DC as day trips several times (take the first flight over in the morning and last one back -- gotta love that airline job!). DC's great, and I highly recommend. Very easy to get around, lots of cool stuff to see (and they keep adding to it).

So, I say go for it!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:10 AM   #4
***** gear guru

^Mike, do you have any idea what happens there on the 4th?

Old 02-24-2005, 05:39 AM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

We lived there for a year - 2002. Pretty patriotic times (I'm a canuck, hubby's american). We watched the fireworks from the hill on the overpass near the Pentagon. I don't think you can get more red-white-and-blue than that particular location. Specially with the reconstruction still going on. Anyhoo, there are a few bigwigs in the area, and they do put on quite a splash - check out the Kennedy Centre's website for details of their programme, if you've got buckets of bucks to spend you can probably sit on Capitol Hill and sing the national anthem or something. There's stuff going on all day, walk down a street and you'll be at some celebration. Especially if the street you pick is the Mall.

Biggest point to consider is that DC in July can be really, really hot. We pretty much did nothing all day, because 100+ and humidity is just not pleasant strolling weather, in my book. Even at the fireworks, it was over 80, which is not a temperature you should have to consider when it's dark, I don't think. But heck, how many times do you get to celebrate the biggest party in the country on the banks of the Potomac?

My favourite all-time tip about DC, any time of year is that the Kennedy Centre has a free performance on the Millenium Stage at 6 pm, 365 nights of the year. Sometimes they're packed, sometimes they're not, but usually they're interesting and often fantastic. And free is a great price. We met a lady there, who lives in her car - she went to the shows every night, always perfectly turned out in a suit and hat. Fascinating woman, we had quite spirited chats in the intermissions. You don't meet people like that at the Cineplex.

And of course, the Smithsonian museums are free, so you can legitimately drop in even if you've only got half an hour to spare. Little known fact, the Canadian Embassy has an exhibition hall with quite a programme of events - you can check their website - also free. And it's close to the Mall, too.

Have fun, hope it's not too hot. We're going to be at a family gathering in northern Wisonsin this year, if all goes well. Better food, and hopefully better weather! But the fireworks won't be quite the same!
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #6
***** gear guru

tumblezweedz
Thanks so much for all the info! This is really usefull stuff. If we ever end up at a meet-up together I'll buy you a beer.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:10 PM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

We're moving to Germany this summer, I hear they have beer there...
Old 02-25-2005, 10:56 AM   #8
***** gear guru

Quote:
Originally posted by tumblezweedz@Feb 25 2005, 01:10 AM
We're moving to Germany this summer, I hear they have beer there...
yea I hear they do...I'm sure I'll get back over there sometime soon, and when I do I'll buy you one

Old 02-27-2005, 06:11 AM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

Cheers!
Old 04-26-2005, 05:17 PM   #10
Members

Send a message via AIM to RosyOne05

I personally have never made it to the fireworks in DC, but go there every now and then (I'll be living there beginning in August!) and know a couple people who have said DC on the 4th of July is quite amazing. Just make sure you are prepared for sweltering humidity and crowds like crazy, especially on the metro ride back (being comfortable with having your face in a strangers armpit would be good.)
RosyOne05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:40 AM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

Actually, a few years back (okay..a couple more than a few) I went to visit some friends who live outside of DC for a long weekend on the fourth and we took the train in to see the fireworks at the monuments. It was very cool, we set up on the steps to the Lincoln Memorial, which faces the Washington monument (the reflecting pool is between the Linc memeorial and the Wash monument) and so you see the fireworks up over the Washington monument. It was very cool...except it was a bit rainy and the pieces of fireworks were coming down on everybody, and being wet from the rain, you wound up covered with ash. Then, everyone crammed onto the train for the trip home...wet bodies, covered with ash jammed into a train.......nice. Overall, though, the fireworks were very cool and worth it. A ton of people, though, as you can imagine. Get into the area EARLY. Lastly, I will second what someone else said....DC is HOT and HUMID in July. I would recommend it.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:59 PM   #12
***** gear guru

^thanks dude!

Old 04-28-2005, 12:25 AM   #13
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

If you're in DC, you have to go to one of the area Booeymonger restaurants. Best. Sandwiches. Ever. Seriously, I had one of their sandwiches something like 14 years ago and I can still remember how good it was. Vive le Georgetown!

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:32 AM   #14
TPunk Emeritus

...and while you're at it, the best video game entertainment in DC is - believe it or not - at the Air & Space Museum.

For something like $6.50 per 3 minute ride, you'll be strapped into the seat of a flight simulator of an F18 or an F16 that gyrates 360 degrees and it's fully three-dimensional!

It's killer fun - you'll really get the feel of what flying on a jetplane is like.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:34 PM   #15
TPunk Recognized

Hiya kingcrazylegs! I lived in DC for 7 years! So, if you want to go all out on July 4th, of course, DC is the place to be!

You want to be at the mall at the, or, closest to the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, where they have all of the major city festivities, including concerts, etc.

Tumblezweedz had a lot of great comments!

Heat withstanding, if you've never experienced DC on July 4th, I'd definitely recommend it!

The only thing is, if you're gonna be at the mall, you wanna get there early!!!! in order to get a good spot. Bring blanket to sit on, cooler with lots of ice and drinks (can't remember if they allow alcohol now, don't think so...), and snacks. You'll probably be there in a group, so you can take turns guarding spot, grabbing stuff you need, potty break, etc. It's a blast! Check out DC-July 4th.

Don't dare drive, traffic is horrendous. You'll be metro'ing and walking everywhere! Also, when the celebrations are all over, is kinda of a mad house around the mall with thousands of folks flocking into the metro stations, so walk if you can.

Here's a insider's tip, if you're there the day before, July 3rd, go to the steps of the Lincoln Memorial at around 7ish PM. The orchestra and performers will be holding their rehearsal the day before, and only a few locals will be there with their lawnchairs, enjoying a private concert the day before!

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Carisia is offline   Reply With Quote