Manhattan, Kansas. - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > U.S.A.

U.S.A. Hollywood, NYC, baseball, The Grand Canyon, East coast vs West coast, Starbucks, The Dallas Cowboys Chearleaders, and more...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
T-PUNK RANGER

Send a message via AIM to Kassandra13 Send a message via Yahoo to Kassandra13
Thumbs down

I'm gonig to be in and around Manhattan, Kansas this weekend, visiting a friend. Anything to do or see?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
T-PUNK RANGER

"going", that is....
Old 07-19-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

The West Coast is about 1,500 miles away if you're up for a little bit of a drive. That's probably where I'd head if I were in Kansas.

Hrmm.. Anderson Hall at KSU is supposed to be the most interesting building in town.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
T-PUNK RANGER

Quote:
Originally posted by omisan@Jul 19 2006, 06:57 PM
The West Coast is about 1,500 miles away if you're up for a little bit of a drive. That's probably where I'd head if I were in Kansas.

Hrmm.. Anderson Hall at KSU is supposed to be the most interesting building in town.
[snapback]131605[/snapback]
Heh - yes, I'm not fooling myself into thinking it's going to be an exciting place. Although I'm excited about being in the middle of the country - I've done the east coast, the west coast, the south - but not really the middle. Although that novelty will wear off in about give minutes.....
Old 07-19-2006, 09:44 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

My husband's from Kansas, I think one of his buddies went to school there. Wait, I'm looking it up in a 1972 Compton's Encyclopedia (only the best for you).

"Manhattan: farm center; dairy products; Kansas State University; Tuttle Creek Dam nearby."

Tuttle Creek State Park is near Manhattan, and is listed in my stellar source as a "Place of Interest". So is Fort Riley, a Santa Fe Trail military post.

Manhattan is right on the northeastern edge of the Osage Plains, where they meet with the Glacial Plains. Isn't this useful information. You might be somewhere in the Flint Hills. Topeka, the state capitol is 50 miles away.

In my experiences living in small, isolated towns in the Mojave Desert, Oklahoma and New Mexico, the best way to survive is to bask in the local lore. Check out any museums they have, you're sure to be baffled. Near our home in North Edwards, CA (out by Edwards AFB, in the middle of nowhere), we explored Boron's 20 Mule Team museum - a broken down wooden building memorializing the 20-mule teams that hauled borox out of the desert. Now, what could be better than that? In Enid, Oklahoma, I learned everything I ever wanted to know about the Cherokee Trail and the rose rocks unique to the region at the "Cherokee Trail" and "Rose Rock" museums respectively. These are simply not experiences you can have anywhere else.

Seriously, though, being a university town, Manhattan should have some fun things to do - bars and clubs at any rate!

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Quote:
Originally posted by tumblezweedz@Jul 20 2006, 12:44 AM
In Enid, Oklahoma, I learned everything I ever wanted to know about the Cherokee Trail and the rose rocks unique to the region at the "Cherokee Trail" and "Rose Rock" museums respectively.*

[snapback]131644[/snapback]
Did you ever read anything about Amos Chapman?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:20 PM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

The name doesn't ring a bell - who was he?

Old 07-19-2006, 10:42 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Quote:
CHAPMAN, AMOS (1837-1925). Amos Chapman, frontiersman, was born on March 15, 1837, of mixed white and Indian parentage in Michigan. Beginning in the late 1860s, he served as a civilian scout and interpreter for the United States Army and was often hired as a guide for settlers moving to Kansas and Colorado. In September 1868 he scouted for Maj. Joel H. Elliott's Seventh Cavalry detachment during Gen. Alfred Sully's campaign against the Southern Cheyennes from Fort Dodge, Kansas. That campaign led to the establishment of Camp Supply in Indian Territory, where Chapman subsequently served as an interpreter. There he married Mary Longneck, a daughter of the Cheyenne chief Stone Calf, and lived for a time among her tribe. They had six children. During the early 1870s he was involved in the army's attempts to keep whiskey peddlers and outlaws out of the reservations.

Chapman volunteered his services to Col. Nelson A. Miles's regiment in July 1874 and scouted for Lt. Frank D. Baldwin. While carrying dispatches for Miles on September 12, Chapman, William (Billy) Dixon, and four troopers ran into a party of more than 100 Comanches and Kiowas near Gageby Creek, in what is now Hemphill County. In the resultant Buffalo Wallow Fight, Chapman's left knee was shattered by a bullet while he was attempting to aid the fatally wounded George Smith. He managed to hold out until Dixon was able to reach him and carry him to the safety of the wallow. Subsequently, Chapman's injured leg was amputated by the post surgeon at Camp Supply. For their heroism he and his comrades were awarded the Medal of Honor, but the award was later revoked for Chapman and Dixon because they were civilians. In 1989, their medals were restored by the army.

After the Red River War Chapman, who thereafter wore an artificial leg, continued in his role as post interpreter. He worked vigorously on behalf of his wife's people and helped keep order during the excitement surrounding Dull Knife's flight in 1879. When James Monroe (Doc) Day and other free-range cattlemen began running their herds on reservation lands, Chapman again wielded his influence to prevent bloodshed. He helped work out peaceful solutions, which included designating certain routes, such as the Deep Creek Trail, over which cattle could graze and be driven to the Kansas markets. After his retirement from government service, Chapman and his wife settled on a ranch four miles east of Seiling, Oklahoma. It was said that they "divided matters evenly." Sometimes they slept in a tepee, for instance. Chapman died on July 18, 1925, from injuries sustained in an accident with his spring wagon. At the time, he was preparing to lecture on his frontier days with a lyceum circuit. He was buried at Seiling.
He was my step-dad's great-grandfather, and when I was a kid, the little podunk museums we visited in Oklahoma usually had something about him. Chester (where my step-dad is from) is about 70 miles from Enid, which is why I wondered if the museum there mentioned Amos...especially cause I remember going to Enid (to go to the K-Mart haha) back in the day and seem to think there was a memorial or something along the way that we stopped at.

Things like this are a perfect example, Kassandra, of the wealth of history that's actually to be found in Midwestern states. hehehe
Old 07-19-2006, 10:54 PM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

Well, it is quite possible that they made mention of him, but you know the wealth of information that these places hold, it is hard to take it all in. Like the British Museum...or... something.

I never went west of Enid - visited Guthrie, Bartlesville, Tulsa and Ok City while we were there. While I make fun of Enid, I actually liked it alright. It was definitely the best of the first 6 places we lived. Things have improved since then, but going back remains a possibility, and I think I could probably cope.

Aren't you excited at the riches in store for you, Kassandra?!

Old 07-20-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
T-PUNK RANGER

Heh. I'm going to Kansas!

Thanks for the info, guys.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:40 AM   #11
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Heck, that sold it to me, I'm going to have to make a trip to the US especially to see all this stuff you talk about!