VISA irritations - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > U.S.A.

U.S.A. Hollywood, NYC, baseball, The Grand Canyon, East coast vs West coast, Starbucks, The Dallas Cowboys Chearleaders, and more...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2006, 02:25 AM   #1
Members

Not sure if this is the right section but...

So im all pumped to go to Canada for a year and have organised everything... well, so i thought. Apparantly because my plane stops i honolulu (spelling?) to refuel i need to get a US B1/B2 VISA. I dont even get off the plane and once in Canada i dont really see myself going into the US. The travel agent didnt tell me i needed a US visa and i have already paid over $3000 for my ticket insurance etc. If i lose that money i am going to be pissed... Why cant Americans be more like there Canadian neighbours?

The US VISA is a bitch to get too. 3 pages of crap i need to fill in... It asks me for the name, address and phone number where i will be staying. IM NOT STAYING. IM TRANSITING BUT YOUR MAKING ME GET A BLODDY VISA!

Sorry for the rant but i am really pissed off.
Bluegem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:30 AM   #2
lover of Germany

No offence but there are a lot of Americans on this board, a title like "US Scumbags" might not be the best way to get help. Really, your travel agent should have told you about this before you booked your ticket. I reccomend seeing if they can sort it out, if not get over to the US Embassy, fill out the forms and get the visa. Tell them you are only transiting and I am sure they will let you skip some the irrelevent info. Just remember, you catch more flies with honey.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:28 AM   #3
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by expatben@Jun 5 2006, 01:30 AM
No offence but there are a lot of Americans on this board, a title like "US Scumbags" might not be the best way to get help. Really, your travel agent should have told you about this before you booked your ticket. I recomend seeing if they can sort it out, if not get over to the US Embassy, fill out the forms and get the visa. Tell them you are only transiting and I am sure they will let you skip some the irrelevent info. Just remember, you catch more flies with honey.
[snapback]124210[/snapback]
Im not looking for help but i do apolagise if the title offends anyone. I just am really upset at the fact that i could have worked for half a year to pay for this trip and at the end of it i might not even be going. Being an Aussie i am just in awe at why i need to get the VISA anyway. We are part of the VISA waiver program (<90 days you dont need a visa) and i need to get a VISA because my plane refuels on a remote island thats part of the US...

I have filled in the forms and have lodged an apointment at the consulate for a interview but there is a wait and it is going to be cutting it mighty close to my leave date.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:37 AM   #4
lover of Germany

That does suck and I hope that you get it all sorted so you can visit Canada. If you show them your ticket they may see you're in a hurry and speed things up.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:56 AM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Doublecheck with your airline and see if they have an aircraft that takes a different routing. There are plenty of flights that go between Australia and the rest of the world and don't stop in the U.S. If you find one, contact the airline, explain the situation (they ALSO should have advised you on visa requirements), and see if they'll waive the flight change fee.

At least do that before cancelling the trip...

worldwidemike, who also is not a fan of his own country's visa, departure fee, etc., policies...
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
We are part of the VISA waiver program (<90 days you dont need a visa) and i need to get a VISA because my plane refuels on a remote island thats part of the US...
Are you 100% sure you have your facts straight that you need a visa??? It doesn't make sense on two fronts. 1.) because you are simply transiting through Hawaii, you shouldn't need a visa if you stay in the international transit area and you stated in your note that you are not even leaving the plane??? 2.) As you mentioned, Aussies are part of the visa waiver program and so even if you have to technically go through immigration to catch your next flight, you shouldn't need a visa.

Another question springs to mind and that is, if you are staying on the plane, who is going to stamp your passport and process your visa? They do not do that on the plane...at least I have never heard of that. They would have to make you exit the plane and proceed through immigration and then reboard.

Where did you find out you need a U.S. visa for this stop in Honolulu?? I would triple check because something seems rather odd here. Good luck and remember that not all of us Americans support the crazy immigration and security policies that have been adopted in our airports!!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Typically, you would get a Visa waiver being from Oz and all... BUT, if you're flying to Canada, then the US Visa waiver doesn't count.

Really fucking stupid ridiculous infringe-upon-common-sense bullshit from US scumbags

An Aussie friend of mine was going on a cross-Canada trip and because her Air Canada flight to Vancouver went through LAX, she had to get a US transit visa. Lame lame lame lame lame.

I think it's largely because most US airports, even huge hubs like LAX, don't have international transfer areas. St00pid!

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #8
I'll rock your socks off

Well at least you aren't entering the US properly. They'll photograph and fingerprint you like a common criminal. I'm so very ashamed.

Hope everything works out, and for the record, I think they're scumbags too.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:57 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to Echeverry Send a message via Yahoo to Echeverry Send a message via Skype™ to Echeverry

Kill all Americans, oh wait I'm from here, shit! O.K no killing. You should get your money back or atleast try and settle that. And chill, I for one do belive all of this is a bunch of burocratic b.s, so I understand your anger.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:38 PM   #10
Members

bloddy hell. What a bastard this VISA is proving to get...

So i orgainse everything...

I drive for 40 minutes to get the photo done at the requested place on the forms...
I book the earliest possible time for an interview... 2 weeks before i go!!!!

I get into the road at 9am... cant find the joint till 9:50am

go in and the rude price security guard tells me i wont be getting anything today and that the systems are down. I call the number he gave me and it is the general consulate number... i already knew this

I ring there 1902 number (charged @ $2.50 per minute) and leave my number for them to call me back to reschedule.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:41 PM   #11
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

That sounds horrible. I've heard that american visa's can be rough but i had no idea!
TheJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:24 AM   #12
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

If I had some more details, I could tell you why you have to get a visa, and the best way to go about it.

Again, yeah, you shouldn't need it if you're there less than 90 days and an Australian citizen. That is, assuming you don't have any convictions, overstays, etc.

Hmm, maybe we should start a visa category for me to mod, now that I'm working in immigration law.

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #13
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Quote:
Again, yeah, you shouldn't need it if you're there less than 90 days and an Australian citizen.
Typically, no, but if you're in transit to Canada, you do. Really really really stupid law based on paranoia... and retribution against Canada's policies that the current White House administration doesn't like.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:33 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath

That shit is fucking weak...

Where have I been? Well, thus far: Argentina, Canada, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, Japan, The Netherlands...

Where do I want to go? Well...: Central and South America, South East Asia, More of Europe, North, West, and South Africa, and...most places.
SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:23 PM   #15
Members

update.

still dont know whats going on...

I called the us visa info line to tripple check i need the visa and they confirmed that i do.

Either way, im getting on that plane.

Basically my plans are this....

depart melbourne airport
arrive in fiji
stay in fiji for 2 weeks
leave fiji
refuel in honolulu
leave honolulu
arrive in vancouver

<insert unknown plans here>

leave vancouver 6 months+ later
refuel in honolulu
arrive in fiji
stay for 1 night
leave for melbourne

i have no plans on going into the US at this stage. I dont even think im going to get off the damn plane in honolulu!!

I am getting on that plane anyway. Im having my 2 weeks in Fiji!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #16
Members

Oh, and i have why working holiday canadian visa too.

That was quite humerous to get in comparison to the US visa.

Name? Andrew
Criminal? No

Ok, heres your VISA. lol
Old 06-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #17
french touch

^^^We love Australians !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:49 PM   #18
Members

Phew!

after numerous phone calls this morning. I just woke up and thought 'fuck it! im sorting this out today.' I just kept calling different numbers and leaving messages etc.

I go for my interview on Thursday. I leave 8 days later... talk about cutting it close!!!