flyin solo. - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Traveling Alone or Family Travel
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Traveling Alone or Family Travel Whether you want to travel alone, or travel with the kids, parents, or granny, this forum is for you!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-19-2003, 08:58 PM   #1
Members

Send a message via AIM to Sherpette
Cool

Yeah, I had a friend back out too..... so now I'm heading south to Costa Rica for a couple weeks (spring break) in march. If anyone thinks they'll be down there around then, feel free to email me!! I'm a spontaneous, sun (and fun) loving, feisty 21/F from OH (I only go to school here, my fam lives in ATL). I arrive in San Jose Mar 7, so its coming up pretty quick. Hope someone can meet me!!!

Cheers,
Jess
Sherpette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 09:53 PM   #2
Admin

That sucks!

A couple of friends backed out of going to Europe a couple of years ago, and ya know what? Going solo was probably one of the best things that I have ever done in my life!

My travel story here- Travelpunks solo-story

Then again, traveling with yer buddies is a good thing too! Good times...

Good luck!

Travelpunk
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 06:14 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Exclamation

Great story Tony!
I agree, going solo rawks! You're totally free and independent to do whatever you want to do on a whim, and you meet more people too. There's no compromising, and you are entirely free to seek your own destiny.
Are you planning any more trips yourself?
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 10:00 AM   #4
Admin

Thanks bro!

Well, I´m actually in Madrid now. I´ve been here filming (producing, directing, acting, blah, blah, blah...) a super low budget movie on digital -"The Reign in Spain" (you´ve seen the advertisements on travelpunk).
I´m editing a trailer now (for all the world to view) and should have it up online in about a week or so.
In April I head back to LA (my home) to take care of business for about a month, then most likely back to Madrid for a few months to finish editing and perhaps to visit some friends throughout Europe that I´ve met from backpacking. So little time, so many places in the world to see!

In all honesty, I miss home. I miss the pro-active culture that the US is known for. I miss the family. I miss MEXICAN FOOD! But I know that in 3 or 4 weeks of being back home and in the rat-race again, I´ll want to take the next train out of Dodge.

What about you? Where are you headed off to next?
Old 02-21-2003, 10:11 AM   #5
Admin

Here´s some pictures of me in Madrid with my girlfriend and su hermanos y otro familia tambien (my spanish still sucks!). Travelpunk pictures

Link may not last long as most free services usually come to an end (the company hosting the photos)...
Old 02-23-2003, 08:22 AM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Exclamation

Hey great pix! Look at all those Spanish-fly girls!
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 09:30 AM   #7
Admin

Thanks bro! Yep, them Spanish girls are spicy!
Old 03-24-2003, 03:22 PM   #8
Members

Send a message via AIM to Sherpette

So... even though I reported most of my trip in the Good Hostels board (or whatever), I must comment on how it was to travel alone. I (even though I am an extremely tough independant woman) was a bit apprehensive about traveling alone, I'll admit it. But goddamn! It turned out to be the best experience traveling I have had thus far (and I've had a lot of travel experiences). I was definitely much more aware and alert when I traveled, because being a solo female gringa, I got plenty harassed - f*ing machismo! As a solo traveler, I paid so much more attention to detail.... like the way the Ticos (what CRicans call themselves) interact with each other, or how the beach smells, and how the sand really feels on feet finally freed from the confines of zapatos! Ahh... it was fabulous. I used the public bus system the whole time, and stayed in rather rural areas, so there was no english spoken - needless to say, my rudimentary spanish became pretty good. Actually, as a result of my time in CR, enjoying re-learning the language, I am going to Spain this summer for about 2 months (one month will be in Valencia, where I'll be doing a language program through Amerispan Language Programs Amerispan.com - check them out!!) And then the rest of the time, I'll be bumming around the country - Solo, of course. I've come to realize that this is my new favorite way to travel! Because though it might seem lonely at first, and a little isolating, you actually meet lots of other travelers who are empathetic of your situation, because they're doing the same thing!! Friends are easy to come by when you travel alone. I can't wait!!

Loves
Sherpette
Sherpette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 05:12 PM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

Cool

I agree completely

I've been travelling alone twice now, and have found that it's the only way that I can travel. I love the challenge of arriving in a new country alone, being strong enough to find your hotel, make new friends and discover new sights. Whenever anyone asks me who I'm going on my trip with they always freak out when they discover that I'm going alone. I get perplexed looks and I'm sure they're thinking that i'm a loner or something! But the truth is, as i'm sure you all know, you are never alone. The beauty of independent travel is that you get to meet people easier and develop friendships that you might have never discovered if you were travelling with some friends.

Sherpette-I went to CR alone not knowing a word of spanish besides gracias and por favor. Seriously I knew nothing! I was freaked out the first time taking a cab. But realized all you really need to know is the international language of hand signals. But travelling to CR inspired me to learn spanish. I hated not being able to talk to the locals and communicate with them, so I'm more determined than ever to learn the language now. After my next trip (aus, nz, fiji next year) I plan on going to guatemala and learning some espanol. yup machismo..haha i got harrased too, (specially being a pale, blonde northamerican) but i guess that comes with the territory. Actually I thought Italy was just as bad for harrasment.

cheers
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 08:11 PM   #10
Admin

Hola chicas ^_^

Great to see you both on the boards today!

Traveling alone....Can I giznit an AMEN!

Free to decide where, when, how, you travel! And, how long you want to stay in each place! Whether it´s wanting to remove your tan lines in peace, uh hem, or hooking up with other travelers and hop´n from bar to bar or city to city, the freedom to do as you wish is priceless.
I agree, Diorama, you`re never alone. In fact traveling solo, forced me to meet other people and interact with the locals.
The way I see it is, you can always party with your friends at home. If yóu´re going to Japan party with the Japanese, eat sushi, learn the culture. Bring a friend to Japan with you and you´ll end up at McDonalds and Starbucks heading out to bars only to drink Budweiser. Although this is probably an extreme example, y´all get the point

I´m glad you tried it Sherp! There will be no shortage of backpackers to meet in Europe, I can assure you that! After all, it´s the original backpacker heaven! B)

Traveling alone can definitely be a life altering experience. If nothing else, backpackers/independent travelers should try it at least once on their travels. It´s a great way to decompress and it may help in putting life in it´s proper perspective.

I got two turn tables and a microphone...
Travelpunk
Old 03-24-2003, 08:29 PM   #11
Admin

For your travel reading entertainment. Check out this girls online journal! B)
Old 03-30-2003, 10:05 PM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

^ Great link thanx!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote