My buddy bailed on me!!!!!!!!!! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Traveling Alone or Family Travel

Traveling Alone or Family Travel Whether you want to travel alone, or travel with the kids, parents, or granny, this forum is for you!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2006, 04:23 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to rousseau5550

My buddy and I were planning on visiting Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam and Berlin. This has been in the planning for several months, which both of us working shitty jobs to earn the necessary cash to get there. Two months ago, we purchased our airline tickets with Air Transat, going from Montreal to Paris it cost only $878. Not so bad… A week before we leave, I find out that my friend has JUST BAILED OUT ON ME!!!!!! A week before leaving! Understandably, it’s because he needs to do medical tests before beginning training to leave for Afghanistan (He’s a Canadian army reservist who volunteered for Afghanistan). It sucks greatly for him as he just lost $900. The tickets were non-refundable. Now, I’m going to have to change some of my plans. I still want to go but I am concerned about traveling solo. I’ve never actually done it. I know that there is a sense of greater adventure in it, but I’m still skeptical. For example, drinking solo in a bar, that is kinda weird. I’d like to know if anyone else has any similar experiences in this case?

Places left to visit: The rest of the World..

http://www.facebook.com/1Alexandre.Rousseau
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
rousseau5550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rousseau5550 @ Aug 27 2006, 05:23 PM) [snapback]136955[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
My buddy and I were planning on visiting Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam and Berlin. This has been in the planning for several months, which both of us working shitty jobs to earn the necessary cash to get there. Two months ago, we purchased our airline tickets with Air Transat, going from Montreal to Paris it cost only $878. Not so bad… A week before we leave, I find out that my friend has JUST BAILED OUT ON ME!!!!!! A week before leaving! Understandably, it’s because he needs to do medical tests before beginning training to leave for Afghanistan (He’s a Canadian army reservist who volunteered for Afghanistan). It sucks greatly for him as he just lost $900. The tickets were non-refundable. Now, I’m going to have to change some of my plans. I still want to go but I am concerned about traveling solo. I’ve never actually done it. I know that there is a sense of greater adventure in it, but I’m still skeptical. For example, drinking solo in a bar, that is kinda weird. I’d like to know if anyone else has any similar experiences in this case?
[/b]

I can tell you that I have been in your shopes before. I was planning on going with a buddy first, to Jamaica until he bailed on me. Then I put of my plans to wait for them again to go to Mexico, they again kept postponing and bailing. Then I finally said "I have had enough" and I went out on my own. I will tell you, it was the best trip of my life.

Solo traveling has a lot of benefits and has plenty to offer. One thing is that you can make your own plans andnot have to check them off or see if they agree with your friends. You can change your plans on a whim, you can add or delete destinations. If your catching planes trains or busses, you only have to make suree there is room for yours and not try to do two of everything.

Also, want to meet people on your trip? Make new friends or talk to people you wouldn't have otherwise? Well your chances of talking to strangers go up a ton when your solo. If your just with your buddy, your going to mostly talk to them the whole time. If your solo, it is easier to approach others and have others aproach you because there is less intimidation.

I loved my time going solo traveling.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #3
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

definitely go alone...i loved it

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Definitely go alone, anyway. If I cancelled all the trips that my buddies who were supposed to go with me backed out on me, I'd missed out on a whole lot of the world. I don't regret a single time going solo.

The only regret I *DO* have was when I let them talk me into not going, and waiting for them. As such, I still haven't been to Peru....auugh!

So, go, go, go!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
You want fries with that?

If you didnt get the picture already, Mike REALLY wants to go to Peru, (specifically Macchu Picchu.)... :P

Solo travel is the best way. i prefer to go by myself, since I'm not subject to anyone's schedule but my own. Do it! Have a blast, and make sure you send your friends and family lots of pictures. The true adventure is flying into someplace foreign and figuring it out from there...

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:10 PM   #6

LoL There's no way i would just abandon my trip now... I would go insane from that thought!

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Old 08-30-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Do it, do it, do it!

Only problem with your first solo adventure is that you might become addicted to it.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:28 AM   #8
celebrating jacks b-day!

I agree totally go for it!
BelfastFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:36 AM   #9
TPunk Recognized

So, have we convinced you any?

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Old 08-30-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
Members

my mates bailed on me as well, so i whent solo through europe, i am still at it, and having the time of my life!!!
Old 08-30-2006, 02:50 PM   #11
celebrating jacks b-day!

i wouldnt even bother asking my mates they are that unreliable!
BelfastFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:45 PM   #12
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Tadpole

Go. My buds bailed too. I conviced my bro to go (we are only a year apart). And i lvoed it. Plus there will be plenty of people at hostels and unless you are antisocial, you will have plenty of people to go drink with. It's kinda the rules of backpackers. Meet up, party, then split up or meet up in another city.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #13

SO it is common to have unreliable buddies! Going solo is something i do prefer now, especially since when i think about it my buddy would have frightened away anyone who would have approached us. He has that kind of f*** up personality that people are afraid of

Old 08-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #14
Sex and the City Guru

Send a message via MSN to travelchick75

Im glad you decided to go but if your friends that crazy why would you wanna go with him in the first place lol
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
travelchick75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:27 AM   #15
Members

Send a message via AIM to konigderheb

i just did 30 days solo through Europe. it was the best time of my life, and i have soo many friends who i'm going to meet up with next time i'm over there, in their home countries, etc
where're u staying in Paris? change it to Peace & Love if you can, tell Karen hello for me. (take the metro to Juarez, go across the canal, it's on the right, purple banner.)
brussels blows. just go to the mid east, or afghanistan with your bro
Berlin was lotsa fun, stay in East Berlin, west berlin is too nice and posh

this is me insomiac style, no more smoking and red bulls....
Einstein
konigderheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:25 AM   #16
Members

Good choice to make your trip anyway, last year I did a road trip throught Canda And U.S. by myself after my frind change is mind to go with me 2 weeks before. But I did enjoy travelling solo, and I'M sure you will to! For me, the proof, I going to South America by myself, for at least 5 months! Leaving September 18, I'm so F..... excited about leaving soon and alone!

Have a good trip!

Dan Blanch
dan_blanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:42 AM   #17
TPunk Recognized

it is so awesome to see that even though the plans got all changed around and confused, that plenty of people still went solo for their first time and loved it. That is very encouraging to anyone who might stumble upon this thread in the same situation.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Old 08-31-2006, 04:54 PM   #18
TPunk Emeritus

I was in the same boat when I was first going to Europe. People are always enthusiastic to begin with, but things change, etc. This site was instrumental in convincing me that going solo was not only perfectly acceptable but also the preferred way to go. I can honestly say that the only time I had doubts about solo travel was the first time I walked into my first hostel and was like"wtf am I doing?" But that feeling soon passes.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:37 PM   #19

Knolan, in response to your question i'm staying at the Woodstock in Paris. It's funny but i heard bad things about the 'Peace and Love'. A friend of mine warned me about keeping my possessions safe (Some guy stole his backpack )