Prague to Berlin - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!



Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Travel Transportation

Travel Transportation Airs, Trains, Buses, and Boats, what should I do ? What´s a Eurail Pass? How to rent a car abroad ? Is it safe to take the bus?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
Members
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Right basically need to get a train in the afternoon in December from Prague to Berlin and then get the first train back the next morning.

Basically need to find what would be the cheapest way of getting to Berlin and back on the train. Can't be bothered arsing about with coaches and quite frankly I've reached my quota of coaches for this decade already so train and only train please thank you.

Also any tips on when the first train leaves for Prague in Berlin, train timetables, etc.

Cheers!
Pudduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:32 PM   #2
Members
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Aberdeen Scotland.
Posts: 153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Welcome aboard pudduh, as i suggested in the pub maybe it would be more cost effective spliting your journey into two - eg the czech part of your journey and the german part. Ive heard people say this before but whether or not its actualy cheaper i have no idea. Anyone know any different?

Pud needs to get to Berlin for my bday or else im coming to Prague to hunt him down.



pud heres a thread you might be interested in... random dave
__________________
"its too orangey for crows - its just for me and my dog"
mr-turisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
Minister of Offense
 
omisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Fran Disco
Posts: 6,561
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan
Default

As linked all over TravelPunk, you can check the schedules/prices at RailEurope

A check right now shows that there are morning trains from Prague to Berlin at a pricey $162. It's a 5 hour trip.

I'd recommend flying on a budget airline, but there don't seem to be any flights between Prague and Berlin.
__________________
¿Donde esta Omid? Omi-san wa doko desuka? Ou est Omid? Wo ist Omid?

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:41 PM   #4
TPunk Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Indefinite.
Posts: 2,874
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to bluepea
Default

Not sure exactly what you're looking for. If you know you're taking the train, you really have only one price option, except slight variations depend on itinerary, which may not even exist on such a short trip. It looks to be about a five hour trip. You can check out the Czech rail website that gives some timetable information, but from what I saw, they have a train leaving in both directions in the mornings. Not sure about price. It'll probably be better to just check it out when you get there.
__________________
~~ Jamie ~~
You give me the most gorgeous sleep That I've ever had And when it's really bad I guess it's not that bad




Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Indefinite.
Posts: 2,874
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to bluepea
Default

I noticed that the rail europe sites quotes for prices were always significantly higher than when you just buy them in the train stations.

Czech airlines has flights between, but from what I gathered, they seemed kind of spendy.
__________________
~~ Jamie ~~
You give me the most gorgeous sleep That I've ever had And when it's really bad I guess it's not that bad




Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:51 PM   #6
Members
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the tips. I'll check when I get to Prague and see if I can afford it.
Pudduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:29 AM   #7
Members
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by jamiepeaski@Oct 24 2005, 03:42 PM
I noticed that the rail europe sites quotes for prices were always significantly higher than when you just buy them in the train stations.

Czech airlines has flights between, but from what I gathered, they seemed kind of spendy.
[snapback]82835[/snapback]

They are higher because you are looking at commercial sites that are marking up the price. I found out the hard way. I was told by a train conductor to go to their particular website and buy from there. I did this and it has been by far the cheapest ever. I just bought a ticket from Berlin to Amsterdam for 30 Euro.

I already mentioned the Italian train specials. The shame shit applies in Germany. You have to get an account and the instructions are only in their language. Thank God for babel translator. Anyway, the conductor also gave me a site to check the schedule and sometime prices for any European train: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe...newrequest=yes&

I don't know who runs it, but it is effecitve. I have used it a few times and the times are correct.
insanediplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:16 AM   #8
TPunk Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Indefinite.
Posts: 2,874
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to bluepea
Default

Thanks for the info insane - I'm sure it'll help a few people around here!
__________________
~~ Jamie ~~
You give me the most gorgeous sleep That I've ever had And when it's really bad I guess it's not that bad




Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #9
Members
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Pudduh@Oct 24 2005, 12:23 PM
Right basically need to get a train in the afternoon in December from Prague to Berlin and then get the first train back the next morning.

Basically need to find what would be the cheapest way of getting to Berlin and back on the train. Can't be bothered arsing about with coaches and quite frankly I've reached my quota of coaches for this decade already so train and only train please thank you.

Also any tips on when the first train leaves for Prague in Berlin, train timetables, etc.

Cheers!
[snapback]82828[/snapback]
I actually just got back from making that exact train trip and I still have my schedule:

DEPART-ARRIVE:
Prague Hol.- Berlin OST:
7.31-12.17
9.31-14.17
11.31-16.17
13.31-18.17
15.31-20.17
17.31-22.17


Berlin OST-Prague Hol.:
7.42-12.23
9.42-14.23
11.42-16.23
13.42-18.23
15.42-20.23
17.42-22.23

Have fun in Berlin. Just got back and I'm going again in Dec!
superOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #10
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New York, NY & The Road
Posts: 1,451
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by insanediplomat@Oct 25 2005, 05:29 AM
They are higher because you are looking at commercial sites that are marking up the price.* I found out the hard way.* I was told by a train conductor to go to their particular website and buy from there.* I did this and it has been by far the cheapest ever.* I just bought a ticket from Berlin to Amsterdam for 30 Euro.

I already mentioned the Italian train specials.* The shame shit applies in Germany.* You have to get an account and the instructions are only in their language.* Thank God for babel translator.* Anyway, the conductor also gave me a site to check the schedule and sometime prices for any European train:* http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe...newrequest=yes&

I don't know who runs it, but it is effecitve.* I have used it a few times and the times are correct.
[snapback]82922[/snapback]

Care to share the website that the train conductor suggested? (if there's another besides the one you already linked)
__________________
Regards,
Matthew
xanthuos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply






Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
happenin's in prague, amsterdam, berlin? rugbyrne@hotmail.com Arts, Entertainment, Books 2 08-23-2006 01:45 PM
prague to berlin pinkpaddy2 Europe: Eastern 4 08-12-2006 05:06 PM
Berlin-Prague by rail darsh_2k6 Eurail Passes 3 06-13-2006 01:39 AM
Cheapest way from Berlin to Prague? ali85 Europe: Eastern 4 05-11-2006 06:17 PM
Prague and Berlin tumorsarah Europe: Western 2 02-19-2005 02:56 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:17 PM.



 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121