Need help figuring out a route? Yes PLEASE! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Travel Transportation

Travel Transportation Airs, Trains, Buses, and Boats, what should I do ? What´s a Eurail Pass? How to rent a car abroad ? Is it safe to take the bus?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #1
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Default Need help figuring out a route? Yes PLEASE!

Salutations,

I arrive in Belfast on July 15 and plan to stay in the UK until Aug 1 (roughly). During this time I will do Belfast>Glasgow>Edinburgh, and I plan on bussing it. Unless someone has issues with bussing vs. rail/flying?

For the month of August (maybe a bit longer?) I plan on doing some Eastern countries: Czech Republic (Prague), Slovakia (Bratislava?), Croatia (Dubrovnik or Split) and Poland (Krakow).

Now my conundrum is this:
These are the other countries I would like to hit - Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy, Morocco, Finland, Sweden, and Greece

MAYBE, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Egypt

Logically it makes sense for me to go to Scandanavia given the weather (aka Sweden and Finland in September). BUT, I am so close to Greece - perhaps I should give that a whirl and then fly to the north? As a Canadian, I know I would not like to be touring around my country in shorts in October.

What do you think I should do?

I was hoping to save my 'hot' countries (Spain, Morcco, Italy, Greece, etc) to the end, so I could enjoy beaches in November ;-).
Old 07-04-2008, 02:28 AM   #2
lover of Germany

I would definitely recommend Germany as its a great country. Maybe after the UK start in the west in say, the Netherlands and then work your way east hitting off the Netherlands, Germany and maybe even Austria along the way.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatben View Post
I would definitely recommend Germany as its a great country. Maybe after the UK start in the west in say, the Netherlands and then work your way east hitting off the Netherlands, Germany and maybe even Austria along the way.
Yeah I understand the geographic logic of that, but I want to hang out in the east during August to avoid all the tourism of the west. That is why I am going there for leg number 2.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
french touch

In August though, Poland, Czech and Croatia will also be filled with tourists, as they have become very very popular destinations. Only Bratislava will be a bit less crowded.

If you are looking to stay away from mass tourism, you'd need to either go to more remote towns or more east (Ukraine, Romania, Moldova), and far from any beach !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Quote:
Originally Posted by atchoum View Post
In August though, Poland, Czech and Croatia will also be filled with tourists, as they have become very very popular destinations. Only Bratislava will be a bit less crowded.

If you are looking to stay away from mass tourism, you'd need to either go to more remote towns or more east (Ukraine, Romania, Moldova), and far from any beach !
Sorry,
I meant to say... at least in my conception, that places in Eastern Europe will be less crowded than say, Spain, Italy, Germany. I would like to enjoy countries in the west when perhaps it is a little less crowded.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
TPunk Moderator

Prague, Krakow, etc etc will have the same amount of tourists. I agree w Esther; all the places she mentioned are great and you don't have to share them with a gazillion of your closest friends. OK a place like Moldova isn't sightseeing heavy but the locals rarely see an American or Canadian so they are super helpful and awesome. Even an old woman who could barely string a sentence together in English wanted to talk to me. And the Transdnister border crossing is a trip!
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

I also recommend Germany. I got a flight for 54 USD with Lufthansa from Munich to Krakow (one way) and it was like an hour flight. I think the bus from Krakow from Berlin is around 10 hours but I only know that from a hostel roommate who'd come in from Berlin when I was in Krakow.

Then if you're in Germany, Austria and Switzerland is right there. There's good transportation options from Krakow to Prague and Krakow to Vienna from what I saw in Krakow.

There are trains every day from places in Germany to Austria and Switzerland. A train from Frankfurt to Zurich (direct) is like 4 hours. Had the Euro not been going on when I was in Europe, I would have been in Zurich, and I'm still a little bitter about it!

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
french touch

I did some readings on the European Travel Commission website, and found that the least visited countries are in Scandinavia. Eastern/central Europe+Belgium and Switzerland have a lot more visitors. The top visited countries are France, UK, Germany and Spain, as you thought.

So, based on this info, I would like to suggest you an itinerary, that would optimize your time and money, respect the "number of visitors" factor, and follow the weather route.

Scandinavia » Germany » Poland » Central Europe » Austria » Italy » flight to ?» Spain » Morrocco

Hope this helps !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote