Low Cost, EASY Recipes - Page 4 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk Mom, can I borrow ten grand?! Gimme yo mastercard! How the heck can I pay for my trip?! Ideas for making money. How much dough do I need?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-26-2006, 08:52 AM   #61
Members

Quote:
im a huge advocate of the bread thing.
This year at university my famous recipe was my Ghetto Garlic Bread. I would take a piece of white sandwich bread, throw on some butter, garlic, and any spices I had (preferably paprika and garlic salt) top it with whatever no name brand cheese was in the fridge and then toss it in the toaster oven. No matter how hard I worked on the rest of the meal, I always recieved the most compliments about that damn garlic bread.

Oh you also you the same technique and make Ghetto Pizza by subsituting pasta sauce for the butter and garlic.
sarg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:35 PM   #62
Members

Great thread. Some of the recipes though seem overly complicated for travelling, others sound horrible and painful to eat.

I'm a crusty bread roll man and fruit man myself. Don't want to waste to much time stuck in a hostel kitchen cooking.
whalley_range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:59 AM   #63
TPunk Emeritus

I just heard about this one for poached eggs, which now I do at home because its so easy and mess free:

1.) Take a decent size piece of plastic wrap/saran wrap (cling film to you Brits) and drape it over a small bowl.

2.)The bowl will act a bit as a frame, so make a pocket in the film so the film dips into the bowl.

3.) break an egg into the pocket in the film.

4.) take up all the edges of the wrap and twist and tie it all up so the egg is secure in a little pouch he wrap is tied off at the top and is secure.

5.)Drop the entire wrapped up egg pouch into boiling water and boil for 4 minutes.

6.)After 4 minutes, remove from the pot, cut off the top of the bag and the poached egg plops right out.

Easy as can be and no mess to clean up.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #64
Members

What a great thread - inspiring and already making me hungry....damn you!
Old 05-07-2006, 08:57 AM   #65
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally posted by LiveFreeorDie@Apr 28 2006, 05:59 PM
I just heard about this one for poached eggs, which now I do at home because its so easy and mess free:

1.) Take a decent size piece of plastic wrap/saran wrap (cling film to you Brits) and drape it over a small bowl.

2.)The bowl will act a bit as a frame, so make a pocket in the film so the film dips into the bowl.

3.) break an egg into the pocket in the film.

4.) take up all the edges of the wrap and twist and tie it all up so the egg is secure in a little pouch he wrap is tied off at the top and is secure.

5.)Drop the entire wrapped up egg pouch into boiling water and boil for 4 minutes.

6.)After 4 minutes, remove from the pot, cut off the top of the bag and the poached egg plops right out.

Easy as can be and no mess to clean up.
[snapback]115834[/snapback]
Wow, that is so clever! I never knew you could put clingfilm is boiling water, I always imagined it would melt it! Although, having said that, you can microwave it, so it figures...

I'm gonna have to try that some time, that is just so cool. I'm so easily pleased, you might notice.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:52 AM   #66
Members

Send a message via MSN to rae_of_sunshine

Here's a really tasty, simple recipe:
put any kind of pasta in boiling water
when it's 1/2 cooked add some frozen vegetables, cook rest of way
drain and mix with some 3 cheese ranch dressing, or any other creamy dressing
add a can of tuna or other meat if you so desire, and/or shredded cheese to make it extra cheesy (mmm, extra cheesy...)

It's really good and pretty versitile, also you can use fresh veggies, just put them in the water right away so they have time to cook.

I find lots of easy recipes at the kraftcanada. com website, you just type in what 3 ingredients you have and they will give you meal ideas, but some of them are pretty pricey

When I'm camping I make a package of Lipton Sidekicks and add a can of peas and carrots and a can of tuna (or ham) to it when it's done...but make sure you buy sidekicks that only need water to be added or else you have to have milk too

ok, i think that's it

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question, yes is the answer." -a t-shirt

"A fly can´t bird, but a bird can fly" -Winnie the Pooh
rae_of_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:41 PM   #67
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

Quote:
Originally posted by voyd@May 23 2005, 09:28 AM
Beans and rice.* One bag of beans usually costs < $1.

You just soak them overnight and then simmer them for a few hours the next day, and toss some rice in.* Each big pot will feed you for a whole week, and is very filling.* You really can't beat it.

(This is more for home though, as you need a big pot and some time to make them.)
[snapback]62684[/snapback]
good lord i eat that EVERY SINGLE DAY!

i looooooooooooooooooooove it... its half of the brazilian diet... well... half of 2/3s of the brazilian diet (if that makes sense...) more like 2/3 of the time 1/2 of what we eat is rice and beans. with pepper..

i want a bowl right now

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:06 AM   #68
Members

somehow i managed to survive on £10 a week in london (after paying my hostel accommodation) for both lunch and dinner for about 2 months until i got paid (goddam 4 week stand down period!) by buying 99p heat n eat meals from tescoes and spending about £2 on a salad baguette each day , there was even enough left over for a can of coke!
finding a cooking buddy in the hostel helps. food prices in london are extortionate and dont expect it to have much taste or goodness left. most things are heavily loaded with preservatives, salt and glutenates, all the good stuff that goes straight to your hips. (just ask any australasian girl). fresh fruit and veg are generally pumped on nitrates and grown in hothouses and cost a lot. outside of england food prices are typically cheaper by about 1/3. poutry for some reason is more expensive than red meat. the usual backpacker diet ususally consists of baguettes, cheese, potatoes, noodles and anything that can be thrown in a microwave. you burn most of the starch off by walking everywhere anyway.
PLUSCREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:53 PM   #69
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I don't entirely agree with that!

Sure, a lot of the food here is full of crap, but you don't have to choose to eat that! You can get microwave meals in every supermarket that are good for you (ranges include "be good to yourself" and "count on us", stuff like that). Anyway, it's maybe a little harder to eat healthily, but it can be done!

And if you go to the right places, fruit and veg aren't expensive!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #70
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter

Ok I got a recipe here that I now use in Brasil and can be used basically anywhere. There is no meat involved but still healthy...

Penne Pasta
Tomato Sauce
1 Bell pepper (green pepper)
1 small onion

Chop the pepper and onion and cook in a pan with butter or olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.

Boil Penne as directed (with a little salt and oil so it doesnt stick...)

Simmer the tomato sauce for at least 10-15 minutes. Season to taste.

Add peppers and onions to sauce, simmer for another 5-10.

Add sauce to pasta and eat.

This cost me about $6 usd to make and gives me 4 meals worth of food.

Foo

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:57 PM   #71
Members

Send a message via MSN to nikon

Here is a meal i cooked up a few times (or a few to many times) on my trip last year ... ppls loved it and it was pretty cheap to make too! Can make a good size meal for 4 ppls or a few meals for yourself.

Ingredience:

Penne Pasta (large)
1 Can of Tuna
1 Can of Corn Kernals
Premixed Pasta Sauce (500ml)

Optional:
1 Large Onion
1 Can of Mushrooms

1) Heat some oil/butter up in a pan (use some of the hostel shared oil/butter or ask around), slightly brown onion if used.

2) Boil water, then add some oil & salt, then wait to boil again beofre adding Penne (cook as directed) ... note: cold salted water takes twice as long to boil

3) Simmer the Pasta Sauce with Onion, then add Tuna, Corn Kernals (& Mushrooms if used) ... ohhh and also add some basil or any spices if the kitchen or you have some.

4) Mix Pasta Sauce and Pasta together and heat for a few minutes and serve!

5) Optional: if you got some yogart or cream, add a little into the pasta sauce when simmering to make a creamy sauce .... adds a twist to it you know

Europe - 8months (April->Decmember 2005)

Countries:
Turkey, Greece, Italy, Spain, France, Switzerland,
Germany, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Norway,
Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland,
Czech Rep., Austria, Slovakia, Hungary,
Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, England.

nikon is offline   Reply With Quote