Thus Begins the Spending Freeze - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk Mom, can I borrow ten grand?! Gimme yo mastercard! How the heck can I pay for my trip?! Ideas for making money. How much dough do I need?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-05-2004, 12:22 AM   #1
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Ok, so I don't take off for Europe for another 35 days. In the meantime, I've declared a spending freeze so I'll have enough saved up to have a good time there - and pay off what I've already charged... eek!

Beyond becoming best friends with NetFlix for the next 5 weekends - and reading the TP board like crazy - I need to start coming up with ways to keep myself entertained. I get cabin fever really easily and feel caged if I'm not out on a weekend night (like tonight), and the anticipation of the upcoming trip makes it that much tougher.

What do you guys do? I've got hiking and going to the gym as free activities during the day, but I like the nightlife, I like to boogie.. I need to fill the gap!

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 06:12 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

you could go to the library, get some great thick books and read read read.

though you said you like the nightlife, so I would get your local entertainment newspaper and check out when they have student/hospitality nights. Your guaranteed to get some good deals there. Also go out during the weeknights instead. Then u can take advantage of the 2-4-1 drink specials. Arrive early then ya dont have to pay cover charge. And don't tip, who cares if your drink service will take longer. have fun!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:34 AM   #3
Weasel Jones

i can't say enough good things about the library. for night time: open-mic/poetry sessions at coffee shops, house parties, dinner parties, moonlight hikes, sex, uh...stretching, and i just love this girls blog = i mean, i seriously love this girl. waiting and saving is a bitch - i'm ALL FOR being born into independent wealth! let's do it!
Old 06-07-2004, 10:18 AM   #4
Minister of Offense

Thanks for the advice!

I was going to go to the library yesterday to see if I could find (of course) books that'd help w/ travel - I already have a pile of "pleasure" reading as it is - but I was too tired.

I discovered that if I go surfing - something that I did for the first time on Saturday - I'm so beat up and exhausted that the thought of going anywhere just does not sound appealing! So there we have it! I'm gonna become a surfer.

\../

Old 06-08-2004, 11:00 AM   #5
Members

Mattering the city you live in, you could have plenty of free stuff to do. I know its not the norm, but I lived in Las Vegas before my last big trip and found tons of stuff to do for free while I was pinching pennies.

Pick up your local weekly or free newspaper. Scan through it for free festivals, concerts, art classes, etc. There is ALWAYS something free going on. I used to hang out downtown and watch free concerts, or go to the Strip and do the "tourist" thing to kill time. Many coffee houses have open mic nights or free concerts. Go in there and hang out for a while. If they are cool, you don't have to order anything. Also, find a discount movie theater near you. Used to be a dollar, but now most of them are $1.50 or $2! Its still cheap though.

Oh and a lot of larger libraries will hold a free movie night once a week! Its better than reading if you do not enjoy books.

Another thing, and it sounds heartless, is to get some of your friends together and have them throw you a going away bash or even a "I'm going over seas" fund raiser. If you are going away for a while, most times your friends will find compassion for your struggles and either pay your way for some fun stuff until you leave, or try to help you find the extra $$ for your trip. I had a yard sale, a "wolf's going to OZ" fund jar with me at all times, and a few going away bashes that cost me nothing.

Being poor will always provoke a mind to come up with creative ways to pass time!

Wolf000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 11:10 AM   #6
Weasel Jones

damn, i love those library movie nights. mine does lectures too.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:31 AM   #7
Minister of Offense

Thanks once again! Actually, I lived in Vegas with virtually no income for about a month a couple of years ago before the financial situation totally went down the crapper. But I do know what you mean with all sorts of free stuff to do there!

Your post just reminded me that the nearby shopping center of all places, does a free outdoor movie on Friday nights, now that the weather's nicer. Guess I know where I'll be on the coming weekends!

I wish I could throw a going away party to raise funds, but my friends wouldn't stand for it - I think I irk them with my travel addiction as it is.. d'OH!

Old 06-09-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
Members

On the topic of the library, before my trip, I checked out some language tapes and learned some basic sayings in german and dutch. Phrasebooks are good, but the tapes helped my pronunciation A LOT. And the locals I met really appreciated my effort at speaking their language.
DreamsinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 11:51 AM   #9
Minister of Offense

Yup.. I got myself some teach-yourself Spanish and Dutch courses - that should occupy the next month nicely!

I want to go beyond basic greetings & stuff - and learn the important things like ordering drinks and hitting on disgusted locals!

Old 06-23-2004, 09:33 AM   #10
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Delaney Send a message via MSN to Delaney

If you live near any colleges check them out. They always have free stuff going on for the students (concerts, movie nights, lectures) and generally anyone can just walk in and participate. My friends and I used to go to the new student orientations and stuff like that and get free dinner all the time!! :D

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go. - Dr. Suess

Why I'm not on TPunk as much anymore: http://www.kaushallab.cbl.umces.edu/people.html#katie
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote