Debit in europe - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk

Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk Mom, can I borrow ten grand?! Gimme yo mastercard! How the heck can I pay for my trip?! Ideas for making money. How much dough do I need?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 01:08 PM   #21
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to micdans

Quote:
Originally posted by jamiepeaski@Apr 2 2006, 09:34 PM
Do you already have the travelers checks? If not, I'd say you really don't need to bother with them. As stated, you can pull out money from an ATM, and if it's VISA/Mastercard, you can use it anywhere credit cards are accepted, making TC's somewhat obsolete. They'll be more hassle then they're worth, plus, with using the debit card, you get the current exchange rate!*
[snapback]110118[/snapback]

Wait, with a debit card you get the current exchange rate? No charges besides withdrawl fee?
micdans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:19 PM   #22
Members

Send a message via MSN to wenuk

pluse sing on the debit card now I'am worried! I'am leaving monday fror thee mounth to europe and I thought I covered every thing, 2 debit cards and 2 credit cards. now I'am going to get on the phone now.thanks for the heads up.
I also hered too that TC are more of a hasel too.
wenuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:47 PM   #23
Members

good luck man
nedarb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:07 AM   #24
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by ajb3000@Apr 5 2006, 07:25 PM
When I stayed in Dubrovnik last summer it was in a house only 5mins walk from the old town.* I stayed with a lady I met at the bus stop, there were literally about 30 old ladies trying to get us to stay with them, it was hilarious.*
[snapback]110738[/snapback]
So, Dubrovnik is one of the places you actually want to stay with someone who has "touts" at the bus station? I'll file that away in my memory for the day I go...which will hopefully be soon! Thanks for the info, guys.

Hey ajb, any E. Eur countries you haven't made it to, yet? You do seem to be the local TP correspondent on the Balkans and such...

Oh, and sorry about the threadjacking, guys!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:45 AM   #25
TPunk Recognized

i had really good luck like that in mostar, herzegovina. in the bus station in dubrovnik, a lady approached me about a room, but i said i was leaving. she asked where, i said mostar. she says she knows someone there and they can be at the bus station to pick me up. well since i had no idea about mostar and was only trying to get closer to sarajevo that day, i said hells yes. so i arrive and she takes me to this place, pretty cosy, fairly cheap, although she didn't speak much english, but she was the sweetest lady. in the evening she brought me a bowl of fruit, some sweet rolls or something, and made me some tea, and there was one english channel on the tv. but then on leaving she told me in garbled english about someone in sarajevo and gave me a map to her place so i figured that if worse came to worse i would go there, but she phoned her and the lady picked me out (cause of my damn ballcap) and took me to her place. this one spoke english, but the place was not nearly such a find. kinda disappointed, but she did arrange for me to go out to the tunnel of hope today, which was pretty eye opening and she supposedly booked my ticket on to belgrade for me too. but crappy place.
The Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:50 AM   #26
TPunk Recognized

all the young people seem to speak english all over croatia and they're sooooo nice. one girl in an internet cafe had actually seen me come off the bus the day before so she started talking to me in the cafe and i woulda sworn she was american by her accent because she went to an american or international school in dubrovnik. i also had a couple young guys walk me to a place i was looking for in split, about 7mins away. def. 10 times more english there than in bosnia. oh, and there is a very high concentration of beautiful women in croatia, i was very impressed.
The Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #27
TPunk Recognized

Mike, I've been to Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia so far in Eastern Europe. This Summer I'll be going to Greece, Albania, Kosovo, Macedonia, Turkey, Moldova, Ukraine and Poland. I will then have covered all of the Balkans and have only a handful of countries in the Baltics and Central Europe to visit until I will have official been to every country in the region.

Yes I'd definitely recommend staying with "touts" in Dubrovnik, espiecally if you arrive in the morning, it really is so hilariously funny, you can get the old ladies to fight with each other over the price and then stay with whoever offers the cheapest price in the best position, at the end of the day as soon as they let their room they get to go home so you're in the best position. While the old ladies only know a small amount of English, practically all the younger generation can speak it fairly well so it's not difficult to get someone to translate.

In relation to Sasquatch's post, in Mostar I met a girl as I was leaving the bus station who offered a room, really good location and price so I stayed with her, but there are Pansions advertised all over the town so there you'd have no trouble finding a room. In Sarajevo I had a hostel in mind I was walking to but was met by a guy in the city who worked for the hostel as I was on my way there, he offered me discount rates if I stayed at his hostel (he didn't know I was already heading there) so took him up on that. All this was in the peak of summer.

If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask or PM me.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote