PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk

Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk Mom, can I borrow ten grand?! Gimme yo mastercard! How the heck can I pay for my trip?! Ideas for making money. How much dough do I need?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2004, 04:02 PM   #1

Angry

Ok, maybe I'm just too worried, but, how good is the public buses and other forms of public transport in London - Paris - Madrid, I was looking up some website and it seems like for LOndon I won't have a problem since I can buy a card that will gimme the right to ride those open-top buses from one major attrac. to the next, but I couldn't find anything similar in Paris and Madrid, I really would like to hit the main attractions of each place in about 2 to 3 days, so I can't waste time, how is your experience with this stuff guys???
jorgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:24 PM   #2
TPunk Recognized

In Paris and Madrid, I just remember being able to buy a 10 pack of transportation tickets and no special card for discounted transportation within 3 days or so. Each ticket was 1 Euro, so transportation is not too expensive considering that it is pretty extensive in those cities.
skidrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:43 PM   #3
Members

They have good and reletivly cheap Metro systems in all of those cities. Transportation shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:27 PM   #4
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

Paris and Madrid definitely have the open top tourist buses; they are kind of pricey but it you stay on for awhile and use it to get to a lot of places, it will be worth it, esp. if you only have a day or two and want to try and make it to a bunch of places.

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:00 PM   #5
I'll rock your socks off

Dont do the open top bus in london. laaaaaame. Get a travelcard for zones 1 and 2, thats all you need. week pass.. was... about 20 pounds, day pass was 4 or 5... Ride the underground with an underground map and a london map. I did it, it was relatively cheap, and it forces you to orient yourself to the city. You can also ride the regular city buses with the travelcard. Kicks so much ass.

Of course, if you're going to be there for a day or two, dont bother, just ride the bus to hit the major attractions... B)
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 08:52 AM   #6

You guys are awesome, the only thing is that all this sounds complicated, underground map, london map, metro, buses, open-top buses, I think I'll just give up this trip........

.... Ha ha, just kidding!! Bellelass , is there a website where I can check on this travelcard you're talking about? ISn't it the LondonPass?? Thanks a bunch!!!
Old 10-21-2004, 04:25 PM   #7
I'll rock your socks off

When you get to london, go to the underground station. Tell the nice man (lady whatever) behind the counter that you would like to have a (insert: daypass, weekend pass, week pass, I think they even have month pass) for zones 1&2. Then pay. Then don't lose your card, cause then its too bad for you. Happened to me. Gah. They have little underground maps in the stations, just grab one. I got a really decent london map for free in my hostel, it was in the back of a what's happening kind of guide that was laying around for me to take. anyway.. its really not that hard, and you get to know the city as less of a tourist. *shudder* I hate being a tourist.

http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/tickets/qui...kFares_2004.asp
This is a bit more info than is necessary, scroll down... Doesnt have week pass listed, but they have it all the same and there is no need to buy one ahead of time, you'll just lose it.

Just get a halfway decent map of london, decide where you want to go, and then just jump in and when in doubt just ask someone...
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."

Old 10-22-2004, 08:42 AM   #8

You break it down real easy..... Thanks for the info, from your post I kinda sense that you have a little "aversion" against touristy things, which I don't blame you, afterall backpackers are backpackers and not tourits, however, the only thing that "sells" me on those City Tour buses is that they go directly from one attraction to the next, and since I only have 2 or 3 days to see about 60 attractions in London I think I'm better off, this way, I don't have to try and find out where everything is located, what buses/metro to take, how often they run, yadda-yadda-yadda...
Old 10-22-2004, 08:47 AM   #9

Ok, I need to ask a real stupid question, I mean this is embarrasing but I figured I'm here to learn so whatever! Anyway, my question is:
The subway system in London, does the "train" stay under the city the whole time? Or does it go up to the surface at some areas and then down again? In Sao Paulo - Brazil, that's how the Metro system is, you board it under the city but then it kinda goes over the city and then under again....
Old 10-22-2004, 11:50 AM   #10
I'll rock your socks off

My advice to you is not to try to pack 60 attractions into 2 or 3 days. Pick like. Ten. Perhaps. I spent all of one day just at the British Museum, mourning british pilliaging of ancient civs...

yes, but mostly below.

Old 10-30-2004, 03:00 AM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

London is easy once you get the hang of it...Paris on the other hand was not a good scene for me..i was lost for a very long time on the Metro! Good luck!

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:36 AM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

use the metro in london if you don't want to waste time. I found the buses to be pretty useless, slow and confusing unless you have a lot of time and want the novelty of travelling on a double decker. I tried to get the bus from paddington to one of the museums and ended up going in the completely opposite direction (even though the museum was listed as the last stop on the bus). what a waste. the metro was much easier to navigate.
my suggestion, pick up a small book type map/attractions book. you can get them at any local shop and it lists where the major sights are and how to get there. maps are your friend.

for paris, I didn't have a whole lot of trouble using the metro (even though they do seem to have the mindset of "you should know where you're going, we shouldn't have to put up signs to tell you" heh). even though both myself and my wife can read french well we had a bit of hard time finding our way around to some places (spent an hour walking in circles looking for the catacombs).
again, get a map. I can't stress that enough. who cares if you look like a tourist, at least you'll know where you're going.

day passes can be had easily in either city.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:45 PM   #13
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
want the novelty of travelling on a double decker.
I miss home and our double decker busses.

When at home i spend 3/4 weekends in London and love getting the open air buses....so its not just tourists that get them

The tube is much easier but you really have to be a good cartographer to decipher where your going!!! Most sites can be reached by tube and if you only have a short amount of time then an open tour bus would be the best idea....shame though london has a lifetime of opportunities

I LOVE LONDON

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 01:08 PM   #14
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by beergal1@Nov 6 2004, 08:15 PM
Quote:
want the novelty of travelling on a double decker.
I miss home and our double decker busses.

When at home i spend 3/4 weekends in London and love getting the open air buses....so its not just tourists that get them

The tube is much easier but you really have to be a good cartographer to decipher where your going!!! Most sites can be reached by tube and if you only have a short amount of time then an open tour bus would be the best idea....shame though london has a lifetime of opportunities

I LOVE LONDON
we have them here too...i dunno, i didn't find using the metro in london difficult at all.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:02 PM   #15
TPunk Emeritus

me either but thats cos im a cartographer!!

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 05:57 PM   #16
TPunk Emeritus

lol, before I went to europe I'd only been on a subway twice.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:59 PM   #17

Ok, it seems like we got to a controversial issue, thus, I'm reshaping my question, I've made a list of the stuff I must see on my 2-days stay in london, so now please tell me, which would be the BEST/FASTEST way to get from one attraction to the next?? and also if you guys think I left off something really important please tell me, thanks.

* Buckingham palace
* Westminster Abbey
* Big Ben & House of Parl.
* St. Paul's cathedral
* London Eye
* Tower of London
* Tower Bridge
* Shakespeare's globe
* British Museum
* Kensington Palace
Old 11-08-2004, 01:00 PM   #18

oh and the cartograph thing, that's quite alright, I'm sure I'll be able to figure that one out
Old 11-08-2004, 01:16 PM   #19
Yoda

Several of the things you want to see are walkable from one to the other, i.e. Westminster Abbey to Big Ben. One day, I walked from Hyde Park to Buckingham Palace, down Pall Mall to Trafalgar Square, down to the London Eye, along the waterfront to the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, then back around to Trafalgar Square and up through Covent Garden and back up to Oxford Street via Soho. Whew! haha. But the tube is DEFINITELY the way to go if you don't feel like walking 10 miles. Just get a Zone 1 & 2 all-day travel card for about 4-5 pounds, and you're set. I've never had a moment's trouble figuring out how to get to specific places on the tube.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:49 PM   #20

cool! I was checking the tube website referred above by Belle ass (sp?) and now I'm sold!!! SpaceVirgin: And how long did all that walking take? I must be honest, one thing that turn me off about the tube is that I won't have an "overall look" of the city, but is it worth anyway?? Also, on this tube thing, how often do these things run and do they automatically stop in each station?? Gee, I'm sorry if I sound like a lame retard... :greenguy: