Which Digital Camera People? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Technology Inc.
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Technology Inc. Go-Go-Gadget Arm! All things from the 21st century that are suppose to make our trips and lives a little easier

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2
Default Which Digital Camera People?

I have been a Sony digital camera user for the past few years but have been disappointed at how they just "give up on me" or stop working! A few friends have told me that Canon is the way to go in the world of digital cameras.

So I'm looking to purchase one....and I'm also broke, so the most bang for my buck is definately the goal here.

I've been looking at two Canons on Amazon. The SD 750 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B000NK8EWI

or the SD 1000
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...&s=electronics

Can any of you tech geniuses out there tell me if there are any real differences to these two cameras? They seem so similar to me. Also, I can't seem to tell if they come with the batteries and accessories as well. I'm such a numb nuts when it comes to this stuff. But I need to buy a new one pretty soon! And these ones are both pretty inexpensive.

(side note, why can't I figure out how to name the links rather than have the big huge one??)

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
TPunk Recognized

I had the SD800, and it was the best camera I've ever owned. I lost it during my trip, but I'd definitely get another one if I was buying one. The picture quality is excellent, and the battery seemed to last forever.

Not sure how the 800 compares to the other two specifically, but I know they're really similar.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
always trippin'

Not sure what the difference is between those two, but I have been a Canon girl for the past four years and will continue to be so! I have the powershot A630 which is definitely chunkier than the SD series since it runs on 4 AA batteries, but I love the flippable screen to bits.

You'll probably have to buy most of the accessories separately. I think the only thing that came with my last camera was a 16 MB card, camera strap, USB and AV cables, software and a set of regular batteries (although since these use specific batteries I assume that will be included w/ charger).

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
Rabidly Xenophilic

dpreview.com is awesome for cameras...they do really in-depth reviews which means you don't necessarily get a review for every camera and that applys to both of those models. But, they have a feature where you can compare the specs of any 2 cameras side by side...here's what I got for those 2:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...d1000&show=all

It looks like they're essentially identical except for the SD750 is a little more expensive, has a 3.0 inch LCD instead of 2.5 inch, but gives up the viewfinder to fit in that bigger LCD. So basically your choice is whether you want a bigger LCD or the option of a viewfinder. The viewfinder I don't use a lot but it can be nice if you've got the sun right at your back because sometimes it washes out the LCD so badly you can't really see what you're photographing. Thats not very common though, so its just a matter of preference I think.

I bought a pretty similar model a few months ago, back in April....the SD800 IS. Here's a comparison with the two you're looking at:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...800is&show=all

It looks like at retail the one I've got is slightly more expensive and the main difference seems to be that it has a better lense (28mm wide angle instead of 35mm), plus a few minor other differences due to the lense. You might want to read the review of the SD800 IS because its got about 90% similar parts to the other ones.

I used my camera on my last trip and was really happy with it. Its small and light enough to carry in the front pocket of jeans so you'll always have it with you. The photo quality is really nice, I don't have any complaints overall. The only issue with it is that these cameras have this brushed aluminum body that gets scratched really easily...3 weeks of travel and mine looks like I ran it though a clothes dryer. But thats just cosmetic, and if you're careful about making sure you don't have coins or anything in your pocket you can avoid that. Here are some sample pictures if you want to see them:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8529845...7601760382491/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8529845...7601166991456/
Old 09-30-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Brooke - I bought the Canon SD700 about 6 months ago and love it. (Read my old thread similar to this one) It takes great pics, fits in a pocket, great lcd screen. Either of those two cameras you are looking at should work well. Go with what's cheapest. They do come with a battery and a charger. Thats about it. Memory cards are cheap nowadays, though. Good luck!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:58 AM   #6
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by benna2 View Post

(side note, why can't I figure out how to name the links rather than have the big huge one??)
Sorry to hijack, but I want to know how to do this too!

But we are also camera shopping! Great info so far
Old 10-01-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
call me Condi!

Testtest

Ok, so what you do is type a word, highlight it, click on the "make link" button (the world with the chainlink in front of it, 8th button from left) THEN you enter your URL in the prompt and it puts the tag in for you.

Now, if there is a big ass link on there instead of "testtest" redirecting you to TPunk homepage, then I have no idea what the answer is.

I have had a Nikon Coolpix for going on 4+ years now, and it's been through quite a bit, and I love it - literally ZERO problems. I have no recommendations for bitty cameras, because I haven't gotten one (yet), but I always seem to look like I know what I'm doing holding a biggun.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:12 AM   #8
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Aha! I've wanted to know how to do that for a looong time. And it is so f*cking easy, duh!!! Thanks Jess
Old 10-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #9
TPunk Recognized

I bought a canon about a month ago and i love it. I got the ixy810is which is the japanese version of the sd850is (U.S. version). The battery lasts forever and the pics are amazing. Image stabilization is not essential but a nice touch in low light situations. It helps keep the pics sharp. IS is available on most of their new point and shoots. Another of my favorite features is the face recognition. There are no more blurry faces with this feature.

As for inexpensive retailers i went for broadwayphoto.com. Probably the cheapest prices and they have good reviews. I bought my camera from them w/ no problems. Newegg.com is a great place for any computer parts or electronics. I bought all my computer parts from them and my mem cards and stuff. They have good prices and the best customer service period.

If you buy over the internet, first research the site for complaints. Second, look up the coupon code for any company. In google, type the name of the site and "coupon code" or "promo code". These codes give you everything from percentages off your order to free shipping. Something i do....Thought it might help someone
Old 01-29-2008, 11:07 PM   #10
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

I am looking for a cheap, rugged, but most of all - SMALL/THIN digital camera to take to Europe with me. Any suggestions? Decent movie capability would be a plus.

Thanks
snowball1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

Well the camera that I ended up getting (neither of the Canons--after being a Sony user for years, it was too hard to get used to a new format)...I ended up going with the Sony DSC-W55. It's very small and thin, takes movies with volume (just make sure you have a big memory stick) and takes nice pictures. Most of all it's easy to use. The price isn't bad either ($189.99 CDN) so if anything does happen to it, you won't be totally heartbroken!

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:59 AM   #12
Rabidly Xenophilic

I just saw in a skiing magazine recently that Olympus makes a line of shock and waterproof small point and shoots. Here's an example of one:
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1314

They're shockproof, waterproof to 10 feet, and guaranteed to work down to 14 degrees F/-10 degrees C. Plus they come in a variety of colors

Might be worth a look if you're rough on your stuff while on the road! Otherwise, I have a Canon Powershot Elph and it's a great camera. Pretty much any point and shoot from the major brands will probably work fine.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt

Small thin cameras are awesome, but I must talk about ultra zoom digital cameras... I can't say enough about some of the shots I was able to get with a Nikon(can't remember the model number at the moment) 10x zoom, that some of my mates could not get. If you're carrying a daypack anyway, I would definitely suggest it. It's to big to fit in a pocket though.

Also as with most digital cameras, don't expect good night shots. If you're wanting some, take a 35mm camera. These produce better night shots and you can always get them put on a CD for storage purposes.

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote