Digital Camera traveling question - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Technology Inc.
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Technology Inc. Go-Go-Gadget Arm! All things from the 21st century that are suppose to make our trips and lives a little easier

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-26-2005, 12:07 AM   #1
Members

[font=Arial][size=1]
Hi! I am heading to europe in september for the first time ever! I plan on bringing a digital camer with me. Several of you have mentioned that the best way to keep your memory card clear is to bring blank cds with you so that you can burn pics onto them at internet cafes. how easy is this to do? also, what besides the camera, cds and (i assume) a usb cord do you need? also, does internet access at hostels allow for this or do i need to hunt out internet cafes?

one other question. how easy is it to keep your camera charged if it needs to be recharged every so often--are the outlets over there easy enough to figure out? i am planning on just charging it at night while i sleep and hoping it lasts the day. does this seem to work well for you guys?

other additional info: my camera is a canon, and i am traveling from the United States hoping to see italy greece, UK, netherlands, and france. Oh! are all the outlets the same in these countries or will i need more than one adaptor?

thanks so much for your help!

thanks!
nuttmegs17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:40 AM   #2
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Tadpole

If you plan on staying in multi-bed hostels, charging your digital camera over night, while you sleep, might be a bad idea.

Many things can be stolen if you dont have it secure in your pack. Even then you have to be careful.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:11 AM   #3
TPunk Recognized

batteries
Old 03-26-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
Members

[font=Arial]

i plan on staying in a room with just my friend--we dont want to share a room with people we dont know

yeah, i'm definatly bringing an extra battery, but they are expensive so i will probably only have one back-up.

any tips about what to bring to unload my memory card? are the usb cord, the cd to put pics on, and my camera all i need?

thanks
Old 03-26-2005, 11:07 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

There are memory sticks that you can wear around your neck that are aren't much bigger than a thing of chap-stick and plugs into the USB port. That would save you from carrying around alot of CDs. I believe they cost 75 dollars, last time i heard.

I dont know how much memory the "Memory sticks" hold. But that might be something to look in to.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:57 PM   #6
The " ... " queen of TP!

yeah, you can get varying sizes of memory sticks. Anywhere from like 32MB to a gig.....maybe 2

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
Members

about the memory sticks

so all i would need would be the memory stick, the usb cord and my camera and i wouldnt need a computer? or do you still need to use the computer to download the pics to the memory sticks?
Old 03-26-2005, 04:41 PM   #8
TPunk Recognized

Some memory sticks have USB port connectors on them. Look them up on-line and see if would be efiecent money wise.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:46 PM   #9
TPunk Recognized

here is a website with some examples of memory cards/flash drives.

Flash Drives
Old 03-26-2005, 07:06 PM   #10
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to JiveTurkey

Just buy a plug converter to charge over night. As for makingspace on your mem card just go to any photo store (there are loads around the big city) or an internet cafe and most of them will have card readers and cd burners. I had a 512mg card and I would have it burned to a cd about every 3-5 days. Bring a little case to hold your pic cds' in so they don't get damaged in your pack.

Happy travels!
Old 04-06-2005, 08:18 PM   #11
Members

Send a message via MSN to nikon

i'm flying out in like 2weeks (less than this actually) and yeah i've got a 1Gb card for my canon but i know this won't be enough for the entire trip (will hold about 340photos+ for me, its 7mp camera sooo pic file size are bigger).

So my plan is to go to net cafes, etc. put them on two cds, keep one with me and mail home the other!! the idea sounds good but if it works ill let you know

Europe - 8months (April->Decmember 2005)

Countries:
Turkey, Greece, Italy, Spain, France, Switzerland,
Germany, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Norway,
Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland,
Czech Rep., Austria, Slovakia, Hungary,
Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, England.

nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:28 AM   #12
Artist of Life

Tiger Direct sells the rock bottom of cheap memory...and its good brands too.

www.tigerdirect.com

or www.tigerdirect.ca if you're in Canada

I saw a 512 Meg X-D flash memory for less than a hundred
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:52 AM   #13
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

www.newegg.com has the 512Mb XD picture cards for 15 usd less than tigerdirect just under 60 bucks

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:57 AM   #14
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

okay sorry they raised the price on me the fuji 512 is now up to 63.49usd

Fuji 512MB xD-Picture Card, Model 22000112 - Retail

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 09:19 AM   #15
TPunk Emeritus

You can always just go to a camera shop when your memory card gets filled up...there are usally a lot around...and they will take your memory card and burn the pics for you onto a CD...that way you do not have to bring any CDs with you......or struggle to get a CD burned at an internet cafe.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:23 AM   #16
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

How much does that cost anyway, getting your memory stick burned to a cd at a camera store??
At Wal-Mart here in the States its like 3bucks, but I'm sure it will be more expensive in Europe.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote