Workin in NZ - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats Currently or planning on studying abroad, living abroad, working abroad, and volunteering abroad. Expats talk for all of you Huck Finn's out there. You rebels with a without a cause. Summer travel is child's play to you.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 08-28-2006, 07:51 AM   #1
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

Well its been a while since I asked for help arond here but its a good thing shows Im always learning here we go

Working in NZ I herd rumors that its really hard to get work there and when you do the wages are shit. I am most experienced in hospitality and tourism, so can anyone whos been to NZ recently tell me did you have a hard time finding work and what kinda work did you do, and where should I go ??? Are bigger citites like Auckland good or should I get outta there.

Mind ya that Im with a couple mates and we wanna rent out an appartment however we do gotta go where the work is. So any input on this would be great thanks all!
Wills
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:57 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to gazz

hey wills

ive been living in wellington for the last 5 years and the rumours youve heard are pretty much true,working in a bar you will most likely get $10-12 nz.
if you wanna rent a house wont be a problem check www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-property/index.htm and you can get an idea of prices etc mostly 2 weeks bond and 2 weeks in advance
hope this helps let me know if you wanna know anything else

gazz
Old 08-28-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
Yoda

Is that with or without a work visa?

If cost of living is fairly low it doesn't matter if the wages are shit. Usually.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:35 AM   #4

hey

that would be with a work visa,know of some people that were working in a bar for $8nz cash in hand.living costs are not as cheap as you might think for example i done some factory work in australia recently and got paid $20 aus an hour and living expenses were the same

hope this helps

gazz
Old 08-29-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

hey gazz thanks alot so far

So although living costs and stuff aret so low, how do you think 4 people sharing an appartment 2 bdrm would fare......would we be able to save about 800 a month at 8-10 dollars an hour.

Also how about where is the best places to work, where is all the work ?? Auckland wellington ??? Christchiurch, out in the country side ??? Where can 4 people find work quite easy.....cities or rural

also how about availiity of work, are we gonna be able to have a free pick of our choice or are we gonna have to take what we can get. For example I have lots of cooking experience do you reckon I would be able to find some work in kitchens easy or am I just gonna ahve to take whatever.

are there recruitment agencies or job find centers in the bigger cities ???

SO MANY QUESTIONS AHHHHH!
Old 08-29-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
Members

Hey,
You shouldn't earn anything under $10.25 since that is minimum wage, if you are in hospitality you should find plenty of work since it's in such high demand at the moment. Bar work, Cafe's, Restaurants blah blah. HEAPS. Also if you are in season and in the lower part of the north island or the south island you can get jobs on vineyards and Orchards. Last year they had this big thing on the news about there not been enough people to pick the huge quantities of produce around the country.
As for rent, Auckland is probably the best bet for inner city jobs but also the most expensive to live in. You could just look on the net or the local paper and go and share a house/apartment/flat with randoms.
www.trademe.co.nz (but honestly though, the local paper would be the most affective way) South Island, go to Dunedin. The Student town, you would have NO problam finding a place to live there for cheap and have a mean time while been there too. Heaps of opportunities, Just get your ass over here and look. Seriously, it's the best way!
nzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
TPunk Recognized

i *think* there is a searchable database for jobs at backpacker places over there. it will be the usual type positions- bar work,fruit picking etc.

the new zealand herald has job listings online, that only covers the auckland area tho. the other regional papares i would assume cover positions there.

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:04 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Hey Wills when are you heading to NZ? I might be there in6 months or so....I'll prob be doing my 1 year working visa..

I've been to NZ once for three weeks and I must say Wellington was my fav city. So gorgeous so I think that's where I will settle.

cheers.
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:48 PM   #9

yo

looks like nzboy has you mostly covered,only really know welly and for sure there is alot of cafe/bar work there.def would not recommend fruit picking or anything similar its hard and boring work,if you are good at it you can make some good cash but i def aint goin back to that.
as for saving 800 a month i think it would be possible if you were earning 12 an hour and workin 40 a week although you wouldnt have much spending money gotta remember u get taxed 20% but maybe you can claim it back im not sure.
dunno if youve thought about workin in aus but i done a couple of months there and was able to save 500au a week just from workin 40 hours

g
Old 09-01-2006, 03:36 AM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

Thanks alot all, NZ boy you just got me pumped for NZ again mate. I was starting to get a bit in the slump about it and not finding anywork cause my GF has herd some things about not gettin work there......anyways back on the horse!

I already used my work visa for Oz gazz I cant go back there and work, and if I get a 3 month travel visa to Oz I dont wanna spend it working if I dont have too!

Dio your gonna be there in 6 months well then darlin I think we ought to keep in thouch then, Im gonna be landing there with my ''peeps'' in about 6 weeks so send me a pm when you are about to go!

Thanks again folks
will
Old 09-01-2006, 01:43 PM   #11
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mooloo

Have a look here for jobs in NZ, its from a backpacker site so there should be something on here that will help you.

http://www.backpackerboard.co.nz/wor...b_listings.php

Explore, Dream, Discover." Mark Twain

---------------------------------------------------------------
My World Travelogue - Bloggity Blog
Updated April 2010!
--------------------------------------------------
Soon
NZ or OZ
Saving for a year - 18 months for a decent trip

Soonest
Trying my hand at short walks/tramps in NZ
NZ or OZ Travel
Passport Stamps; Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam
mooloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:46 PM   #12
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

You shouldn't have any trouble getting hospo work in Wellington, and you could temp while trying to settle in or just for extra dollars. I work for a place called very originally "the Temp Centre" and it really felxible you just let them know if you want to work or not, heaps of foriegners work for them and $12 ph is the starting rate. It might be worth looking for a student flat or student apartments over the university summer as prices are heaps lower and your still only about ten minutes walk from town. We've got a huge shortage in construction so the pay for hammer hand type work is normally pretty sweet if ya up for physical labor!
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #13
Members

What about jobs in new zealand for college grads- business jobs etc? Does anyone have any info about that-websites etc I graduate in May, and I would Looove to work in new z.
Malli16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:41 AM   #14
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to noke_travel

i believe you can get a 12 month working visa for nz through BUNAC (www.bunac.org) if eligible. hopefully, you are.

"I showed them...I'm still alive." Homer Simpson
noke_travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #15
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

umm try www.jobstuff.co.nz , i think this even includes the newspaper advertised jobs
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote