lingo anyone? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats

Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats Currently or planning on studying abroad, living abroad, working abroad, and volunteering abroad. Expats talk for all of you Huck Finn's out there. You rebels with a without a cause. Summer travel is child's play to you.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to TERI

If I were working in a pub in England or the rest of Europe is there any terms or lingo that I should know about before hand? what about any must know drinks? or shots?

The same q's for Australia. Thank you for all your help everyone.

urple\'> "Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree, feel the rush of the ocean."
"...Get aboard a fast train, travel on a damn plane."
" Take a Risk, Take a chance, Make a change!"--- Break away. Kelly Clarkson (lol)
TERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
Yoda

^Yes. Blabbing "I'm drunk!" hither and thither will probably, in almost every single case, get you laid.

Oh, but if you're talking about ordering drinks, well... it's pretty much the same as the US or Canada.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:25 AM   #3
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Just remember that in Australia, one typically doesn't order beers by the "pint" - unless you're at a British or Irish pub... they often go by the "pot" or "schooner," and a typical bottle's a "stubbie."

But don't worry, you'll figure it out in no time. If drunks the world over can keep up with whatever system for measuring and ordering booze, anyone can!

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

When I was in Australia, it took me a bit to understand it when a bartender would ask "ya right?" Meaning, do I need a beer? If I did not need anything yet, I would respond, "I'm all set". Then I would get really strange look. Someone later told me that "all set" is more of a U.S.- New England regional term.....do other people say that around the U.S.? All this time I thought it was universal...just like "wicked" . Nobody in Australia seemed to understand what the heck I meant.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:03 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to afterlife3

I sometimes say "Im all set", but most of the time Ill say "Im good"
"The enormity of our endeavor excaped us in those moments; all we could see was the dust on the road ahead and ourselves on the bike, devouring kilometers in our flight northward."- Ernesto Che Guevara

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. -St. Augustine

http://www.travelpunk.com/boards/index.php..._album&album=14
afterlife3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:18 AM   #6
TPunk Recognized

damn, wicked is one of my favorite words.

urple\'> "Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree, feel the rush of the ocean."
" Take a Risk, Take a chance, Make a change!"--- Break away. Kelly Clarkson (lol)
Old 07-25-2005, 07:41 AM   #7
Assistant to the Manager

Send a message via MSN to IDDQD

Quote:
Originally posted by LiveFreeorDie@Jul 21 2005, 08:34 AM
When I was in Australia, it took me a bit to understand it when a bartender would ask "ya right?"* Meaning, do I need a beer?* If I did not need anything yet, I would respond, "I'm all set".* Then I would get really strange look.* Someone later told me that "all set" is more of a U.S.- New England regional term.....do other people say that around the U.S.?* All this time I thought it was universal...just like "wicked"* .* Nobody in Australia seemed to understand what the heck I meant.
All set must be a North American thing, cause I dont think Ive ever met anyone that doesnt know what it means...but I guess I havent asked everyone I know.

....And then it's just hilarious
IDDQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:19 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Dont get offended if you hear "fuck" and "cunt" and "twat" being thrown around willy nilly. The Aussies are a very crude race.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:15 PM   #9
TPunk Recognized

I can't stand the "C" word. I want to hand anyone a bar of soap who uses it . It's just so horrible. lol
I don't know of a worse word to use on a girl. Do you?

Old 08-03-2005, 05:28 PM   #10
Minister of Offense

Actually, in places like Oz and Scotland, the C-word is mostly used for guys and is deemed pretty inoffensive...

Old 08-07-2005, 07:16 PM   #11
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by Somnambulation@Aug 4 2005, 09:18 AM
Dont get offended if you hear "fuck" and "cunt" and "twat" being thrown around willy nilly. The Aussies are a very crude race.
[quote]mate im an aussie and i dont think i know anyone who says cunt or twat.in which city did you here this?
a4bcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:45 PM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

Just watch Deadwood on HBO. A few episodes of that show will competely desensitize to you to the 2 big Cs. (Cunt and Cocksucker).

It does seem the Brits (and perhaps the Aussies based on the above) like to use cunt and twat much more often than what I am used to in the States.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #13
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

I don't really care about cursing or people cursing... but once someone says cunt.... I dont know... It's so vulgar and ugly sounding

I know what "i'm all set" means, my dad uses it all the time (he lived in New England his frist years in the U.S. so.... that might be it) but I usually say ''I'm good/I'm okay"

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:08 PM   #14
Members

in scotland they say 'what like?' meaning whats going on, whats up, whaddya want etc... i was so confused when i first heard that, i was like 'whats what like?!?!'

i just cackle inwardly when i hear people say cunt cos its used as an offensive term when really it was originally used in a beautiful way.... i've actually forgotten where it came from, but i mite b able to find out. ts written down somewhere.
but knowing that jus makes me giggle cos people really dont know what their sayin and it makes em sound stupid and ignorant, mwa ha ha (cackle cackle) bastards lol
bloodygorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:43 AM   #15
Members

Send a message via AIM to kameleen

Trainspotting (the book) is almost entirely written phonetically in a Scottish/Leith accent. There is a whole lot of lingo I'd never heard...and its quite infectious! I find myself wanting to use it. There's even a 'glosary' in the back of the book.
kameleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:14 AM   #16
Minister of Offense

Are ye gettin' wide with me, Kameleen? If so, I'll havta put the bairns to bed n' give ya what's comin, ye ken?

Old 01-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #17
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to bassgirl79

dunno if u have these but anyway
snakebite = half lager half cider and blackcurrant
golden =half lager and half bitter
bitter top = bitter with lemonade on top
Old 01-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #18
Members

Send a message via AIM to kameleen

Quote:
Originally posted by omisan@Jan 5 2006, 02:14 AM
Are ye gettin' wide with me, Kameleen? If so, I'll havta put the bairns to bed n' give ya what's comin, ye ken?
[snapback]96720[/snapback]
git tae fuck omisan!
kameleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:54 PM   #19
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by Somnambulation@Aug 4 2005, 07:19 AM
[snapback]72523[/snapback]

im an auzzie and your right u shouldnt get offended if you hear the word fuck cos we tend to use it alot in sentances.. like instead of saying "um" we usually say fuck instead.... twat isnt common hear i think its more an english word, but if you get called a "cunt" you more than likely are one so just take it on the chin
jasemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:22 PM   #20
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

Quote:
[snapback]72523[/snapback]
fuckin oth we are, i for one have a very foul mouth and am often told to watch my mouth at work... it is generally the girls that dont like to hear the word "cunt" and old ppl have there winge about any swearword said in public

[quote]
Quote:
mate im an aussie and i dont think i know anyone who says cunt or twat.in which city did you here this?
[snapback]72899[/snapback]
man you should get out more

Where ive been: Cộng Hòa Xã Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote